DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I won't really argue about where Kobe should be in that ESPN list since I don't really have a problem with him being ranked 40. He's in his 19-20th season. 40 seems reasonable for a guy who's been around that long and is coming off two injuries and only played 6 games last season. 

My concern is actually when they started getting into the 60s and then got into the 40s and its that I'm not impressed with the talent level for this season. It feels like there's less superstar talent, but I think its because we had this great run of stars coming in from 96 thru 2004 and it seems like there's been good, but not great talent lately.

As far as Kobe-bashing by ESPN lately, I don't care. They do it all the time. Kobe bashing ESPN is just as amusing. It will likely lead to some rather entertaining ESPN in-game interviews while having to watch this Laker team struggle along for the season.

Thanks for reminding me that this buttcheeks team will still get more national TV games than anyone else.

You're more than welcome RandomAct. I hope you enjoy the Ronnie Price-led Lakers games on ESPN/TNT/NBATV this season! :P

• Like 1

Lottery reform gets soundly defeated at the BoG meeting.  13 teams voted against, much higher than the 7 that were predicted beforehand.-

GOOD. Maybe now Grantland will shut up about it. . .

I can't imagine this will the the NBA's last try at some kind of reform, so I doubt we've heard the end of it.  I imagine we'll see a similar formula, with some tweaks to the numbers, up for another vote in a year or two.

Speaking of Grantland (segue!), their show on ESPN debuts tomorrow.  I'm interested to watch it; I tend to really enjoy Simmons and Lowe talking about basketball.

Basically that was the only win for the Sixers this year that will matter. First overall pick does have significantly more value than the second pick. I get why they want to try and protect the integrity of the game as well. Just seems odd to go after the Sixers when they didn't get the first pick. Weren't even the worst team. I wouldn't have been all that bothered had the changed it. Just the timing seemed bs. My first sentence in this post does say something though about how things are set up. Lottery reform won't change that though.

Lottery reform gets soundly defeated at the BoG meeting.  13 teams voted against, much higher than the 7 that were predicted beforehand.-

GOOD. Maybe now Grantland will shut up about it. . .

Just ask yourself what side of the issue would GRANTLAND be on if the Celtics were the ones tanking.

• Like 4

From what I understand, some smaller market teams voted against it in order to get more time to study it, so it looks like reform of some kind may happen in the future. Maybe not under this plan, but something. 

Just seems odd to go after the Sixers when they didn't get the first pick. Weren't even the worst team.

1. The Sixers play in Philadelphia, and "hate on Philly" is an old stand-by trope for all lazy jerkoff sports "journalists".

2. Bill Simmons was pissy that the Sixers did a better job of tanking than his precious Celtics, so he made a big deal out of it.

Anyway I'm glad the lottery reform failed because it was fucking idiotic and completely ignored the reason teams have to tank in the NBA in the first place, which is the league's tendency towards dynasties and away from parity.

• Like 1

1. The Sixers play in Philadelphia, and "hate on Philly" is an old stand-by trope for all lazy jerkoff sports "journalists".

2. Bill Simmons was pissy that the Sixers did a better job of tanking than his precious Celtics, so he made a big deal out of it.

Anyway I'm glad the lottery reform failed because it was fucking idiotic and completely ignored the reason teams have to tank in the NBA in the first place, which is the league's tendency towards dynasties and away from parity.

But that's the real issue- HOW CAN YOU change the reason teams have to tank in the NBA? No rule out there can change the simple facts that: In basketball, if all things are otherwise equal, the team with the best player on the court will probably win the game, that you need at least one All-Star...and probably two or three, to have a prayer at winning the NBA title, and most NBA players are good friends with each other and would quite like to play together, and will even take pay cuts if necessary in order to play together. Even just adding a franchise player option to the salary cap could help a little bit, but that'd be more likely to lead to players going into Vince Carter-levels of shutting down, demanding franchise money and not wanting to lead their franchise until their team gets fed up and trades them to a team with another star.

• Like 1

The problem is the rookie contracts and second contracts.  Players have too much leverage over teams when their rookie deals are over.  Guys are coming and making $6 million without being ready to play the game.

It reminds me of the NFL before they installed the rookie pool and the whole second contract area is a joke.  The player basically names his price and if the team says no plays out his final year of the rookie contract with a no-trade clause and walks to free agency.

Just look at the Suns and Bledsoe.  He is not a $12 million per season player.

Here is the key problem with rookie contracts.  Look at Wiggins deal.

Andrew Wiggins $5,510,640 $5,758,680 $6,006,600 $7,574,322 $9,846,619 

His last year of his rookie contract he will be making almost $10 million per season and he will be making $5.5 million this year alone.  

Is he worth $5.5 million?  I would say no.  The NBA rookie salaries are way out of whack with what other rookies are paid in other pro sports.  They get bank without having to prove anything.

Here is the key problem with rookie contracts.  Look at Wiggins deal.

Andrew Wiggins $5,510,640 $5,758,680 $6,006,600 $7,574,322 $9,846,619 

His last year of his rookie contract he will be making almost $10 million per season and he will be making $5.5 million this year alone.  

Is he worth $5.5 million?  I would say no.  The NBA rookie salaries are way out of whack with what other rookies are paid in other pro sports.  They get bank without having to prove anything.

Basketball more than any other sport allows rookies to contribute. Most of the time, whoever is the Rookie of the Year will be a top 40 player for that season statistically and that's not top 40 money. It's the teams responsibility to take a player in the slot that'll make the salary look like a steal, if teams draft badly that's on them, they have ample time to scout these kids. Sports teams, especially in the NBA now, throw around bad contracts and make bad picks and then franchises and fans want their teams to get bailed out. It's these GMs' job to know a good contract from a bad one, and good pick from a bad one.

• Like 3

65 games? I don't think he played that many. I would guess some of those games included games were he left due to an injury flaring up or those couple of games last year were he dressed just to fill out seats like that one game in Cleveland.

I think the Nash deal was probably the worst trade the Lakers ever made especially given that they may be losing their draft pick this year which might be a high pick. At the time that deal happened, I was more concerned about who was going to play the 20 or so minutes Nash had to sit because the Lakers had no back-up point guard at the time. I didn't think he'd miss that many games, but that's the risk when you trade for a 38 year old point guard who was held together by magical powers in Phoenix.

It's amazing to think of that summer when the Lake picked up Nash and Howard. Old guys like jdw were talking about how this was the beginning of the next Lakers dynasty. The rest of the league was put on notice and then.... collapse... glorious collapse. I feel bad for Nash who I like as a player but not for the Lakers. 

• Like 2