DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Ranking Kobe right now is impossible.  He's barely played in over a year, he's aging, we have zero clue what he will be when he hits the court this year.  Maybe he's Peyton Manning, and comes back to continue being great.  But maybe he's lost all his explosion, can't get to the rim, can't get his own shots, and can't guard anybody.

The only definitive statement I feel comfortable making about Kobe right now is that he's overpaid.

• Like 1

He's not really overpaid though in terms of what he means to the franchise. There's been studies that estimate Kobe's worth to the team and it is insane. Anyway, I've hated Kobe for as long as I can remember but he deserves the benefit of the doubt. There's nobody who works harder and is crazier about basketball than he is. I would be shocked if he's not at least an all-star level player.   

The opportunity cost in his contract is a major, major issue for trying to build a team.  Long-term, they would have been better off keeping Howard than Kobe (even if Dwight has yet to 100% regain his pre-back injury form)

I see. I'm not arguing those five. If you can name 34 more we are in business. Okay #39 is Andre Iguodala. He's a great defender and does some nice things on offense but is he better than Kobe?  #38 is Klay Thompson. Great 3-point shooter, he's been improving around the basket, okay defender... is he better than Kobe? 

Is the list just who is the better player right now? Or is it factoring in things like would you rather have a young Klay Thompson right now at a much cheaper salary than an old and possibly busted Kobe with a ludicrous contract? If Kobe can come back somewhat close to how he was performing when he tore his Achilles, then he's at least close to a top ten guy. But if you're factoring in other things and if you're a GM, you'd probably still rather have Thompson or most of the other 39 guys in front of Kobe on the list.

See I thought everyone is losing their shit because Kobe was too high, not too low. I'm not arguing legacy and all that, just with the injury and minutes played on the odometer, he just might be done. Probably wrong, but now one will know until we see it on the court.

There's not a lot else going on right now.

I hear that and don't even disagree. It just seems like it is letting them have their way when reacting to it. I'll be honest and say that they can still bait me into getting annoyed about the perceptions of Russell Westbrook.