DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Hmmm... lets look at the East...

Blue Playoff possibility

Red - No Playoffs

I have the right to change my mind once training camp starts and injuries happen :)

Boston - Looks the same as last year with no major acquisitions except the draft pick. 

Brooklyn - They lost Livingston, Pierce and Kidd. KG is old and brittle. Deron is a shell. They miss the playoffs this year.  

New York - Carmelo is back but Chandler isn't. Can Calderon be a difference maker? Carmelo usually makes the playoffs but he has some dogs for teammates and Fisher is unproven as a coach. they could be the playoff team with a losing record that usually takes the 8th spot. 

Philadelphia - Still the pits... but they have a plan for 2017!!!!

Toronto - Have they lost anyone besides De Colo? If not, they will have another middle of the pack playoff run. 

Chicago - Gasol was a nice pickup but everyone knows Chicago going further in the playoffs is contingent upon Rose. I have little faith he can make it to the playoffs. 

Cleveland - If they land Love, they have homecourt advantage for a couple of rounds. If not, Lebron takes the mto the playoffs but is too tired to go far. 

Detroit - Has Detroit picked anyone up? Is the front office still a mess? No faith. 

Indiana - If they keep Stephenson learns how to play again, they will be fine. No Stephenson, they take a step back but still have home court in first round. 

Milwaukee - Will Parker & Kidd give them a turnaround? I have little faith in this franchise. 

Atlanta - I have faith in Coach Bud and a healthy Horford. I don't know why they are excited about Sefolosha but whatever. If they land a quality free agent and stay healthy, they make the playoffs.

Charlotte - They Lost McBob but picked up Marvin Williams. I can see them taking the Atlanta spot of having a losing record but making the playoffs. 

Miami - Signing Deng is like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole. Keeping Bosh was also fine and signing McBob was sound. They kept the same two lame point guards so they will not make it out of the first round. 

Orlando - The DeVos family should just have these guys sell Amway products at halftime. They have the same team and I don't see them getting better. 

Washington - They lose Ariza but get Pierce and it looks like DeJuan Blair as well. I think they make the playoffs handily. 

I flipped Brooklyn and New York making the playoffs. Just a hunch that Carmelo doesn't stay out of the playoffs for very long. Everyone else looks the same. I think Charlotte misses the playoffs because the Cavs will make the post-season.Did I miss something where a team in red is better than i am giving them credit for? 

Did you actually pick anyone to, you know, win the East? 

As in go to the Finals or just best record? I am waiting for free agency to finish up and this is just my early projections. Nobody but Cleveland made a seismic shift to improve their team. Only two teams actually finished with more than 50 wins in the East. Right now, by staying consistent, I think Indiana has the best chance but they sure took a nosedive at the end of the season. If the Bulls are healthy, they win it going away but would you bet on a healthy Bulls team? 

Chicago - Gasol was a nice pickup but everyone knows Chicago going further in the playoffs is contingent upon Rose. I have little faith he can make it to the playoffs. 

I misread the DJ signing with Detroit which was 2-years/$6-million. Thought it said $16 million.

Note I haven't killed myself yet.

I misread the DJ signing with Detroit which was 2-years/$6-million. Thought it said $16 million.

It could've been 2/16 and it still would've been a better deal than the Meeks one.

Sorry Brian. Low blow.

I hate you.

• Like 1

I feel like if the board has some sort of NBA pickem game for the season, the goofy tiebreaker question should be who plays more games this year, Rose or Steve Nash.

I am honestly ignorant on this issue. I know guys have come back from one bad knee injury. Has anyone come back from having both knees injured and actually played at an All Star level after? 

I feel like if the board has some sort of NBA pickem game for the season, the goofy tiebreaker question should be who plays more games this year, Rose or Steve Nash.

Nash played or dressed for a few games just to fill out the Laker bench. Remember that game in Cleveland were he wasn't even on the bench, but when everyone kept fouling out, he put on his jersey and sat on the bench.

He really should just be named the coach at this point. He'd be fun to listen to post-game. I can't imagine him being a worse coach than the two Mikes and its not like he'd have to win next season anyway. I think we have 10 players now....maybe.

Well, it's two separate knees, and two different types of tears. The original ACL tear is totally healthy and good to go, which I feel was proved last year. He was showing signs of having that same type of explosiveness, he just was rusty as hell. The MCL tear isn't nearly as catastrophic as an ACL and plenty of guys have come back from that. Also, Rose opted for the different surgery than the one Wade got way back. Wade's surgery meant they reshaped the MCL by shaving it down so they could fit it together like a smooth puzzle piece. While this means the recovery time is shorter it also means the amount of flexibility of the MCL is lessened because there's literally less of it. Rose opted to not have his shaved down which means it takes more time to heal, but in theory his knees should last longer because they retain their flexibility. Chris Paul had one of his menisci completely removed from his right knee, which is technically worse than what Wade or Rose had to do, and he's doing okay for himself.

I think he doesn't miss a playoff game. I think he'll struggle to find his groove for a while, especially against young point guards who have been busting their asses over the last couple of years and have grown since his 2010 season. If he plays decent he'll probably make All-Star just off of votes. His jersey is still Top 3 seller even when he's injured.

I have been tested but my faith in Derrick Rose cannot be shaken.

• Like 1

Athletically he is still going to be top tier barring another injury. It might take him a while for the rest of his game to catch up.

I will be quite a bit more confident if he beats out Curry, Kyrie or Lillard for a USA spot. Tough job, and I'm not sure if he will make it, but from what i'm hearing there are no doubts he will be the most athletic PG at the camp.

While another shot-creator like Carmelo would have helped more, what will help Rose a lot this year is having a crapton of shooters out there. Dunleavy, Gasol, Mirotic, McDermott. The offense will probably still need to flow through Rose, but he doesn't have to make every single drive to the basket.

We have more shooters, and with Pau more facilitators. I think we're going to move the ball really well. We won't have the guy who creates his own shots, but we now have a roster that can help create for eachother.

Also we have about 10 players who will see significant playing time now vs. the 7 we had last year. Noah gets rest. Pau will get rest. Jimmy Butler won't be playing every minute. As much as I'm down on only getting Pau, if Rose his healthy it won't matter. We'll be better than the original Bench Mob team.

I know everyone is still in love with the "What Ifs" with this Bulls team, but I'm not sure they'll come out of the east even with a healthy Rose.  I still don't believe in their scoring even with the Gasol addition.  I don't know enough about McDermott and Mirotic's games though so maybe they'll help with the shooting.  Plus, it was usually that Lebron lead Miami team which kept stopping them and they won't be around next season.

I'm surprise they let DJ Augustin go.  He was a keeper.

Mirotic had a 50% FG percentage, 40% from beyond the arc at Real Madrid. McDermott was 55%/46% at Creighton.

Even if they'd used the room exception on Augustin instead of Hinrich, they'd have only been able to offer him about 85% of what Detroit gave him.

• Like 1