DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I don't blame Melo for getting paid but I would have liked to see him in a Bulls uni. You know.. everyone is saying this will take a year but if the Cavs do land Love how are they not the favorites in the East? Unless of course D-Rose.. but we won't talk about D-Rose..

...So how does the third team fit in? I'm assuming this is outside of the Lin deal, so does this mean LA possibly gets Asik?

The Omer Asik trade to New Orleans is complicated.  Maybe they are trying to get the Lakers to take some contracts, such as Austin Rivers, to help facilitate that.

I didn't realize Asik was going to Nola

Thomas to the Suns means that team should always have two really good guards on the court at all times. They could also probably find a way to run all three at once just to see what the hell happens. In what's now a guard league, that's pretty frightening in a lot of ways.

Phoenix is so League Pass it isn't funny.

Summer League rules. I finally got a chance to watch some games.

I was up in Boston during LeBron's rookie year. He barely played that game -- I think maybe a quarter, at the most. But what was great was seeing then-Cav Darius Miles at the game. And anything that came out of LBJ's mouth was responded with the most laughter one human being has ever laughed. It was one of the most entertaining, shameless attempts at getting in another human's good graces imaginable and hilariously pathetic.

• Like 1

Also, NBA Twitter agrees: Dante Exum will be everyone's favorite player very shortly, based upon his performance in the first half of his Summer League game. Kid is by far the best player on the court.

Brett Brown was comparing him to Kobe Bryant before the draft. Both in athleticism and competitiveness. Chad Ford said it was an anonymous member of the Sixers that made the quote but he then gave away it was Brown. 

Signing Spencer Hawes using the MLE made the Clippers unlikely.

I thought Pierce would go to one of the teams chasing Luol Deng and Trevor Ariza.  I saw Washington as possible, but thought there were other teams that were better bets because they could offer more: Phoenix, Dallas (if Houston matches the Parsons offer sheet), Atlanta.  I thought Pierce would have made some sense for Chicago if they didn't get Carmelo Anthony.

He's got a sort of mini-Lebron deal where the second year is a player option, so I expect him to decline his option and hit the market again next summer.

Don't get me wrong, it makes sense for Washington.  Young up and coming team, East could be wide fucking open, add some veteran leadership and have somebody to soak up some of the minutes lost with Ariza.

I just didn't see Pierce making the move.  And, honestly, I guess I missed noticing the Clips had already used the MLE.

So the Lakers are getting ride of Nash some how now right?

I doubt it. He's an expiring contract. If they got rid of him now, it would require giving up a pick for a team to take his deal and they have very few of those right now. They can use the stretch provision clause on him and add about $6 million in cap room this season, but then his number of a little over $3 million would take up space over the next three seasons and they would rather just pay the $9.7 million in one season than do that.

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN 

Pat Riley hasn't lost his touch in negotiations, the Heat got Luol Deng at their price & still have a formidable lineup.

I dunno. Hard to praise Riley when he had to max out Bosh and then get Deng. Granted a 2-year deal for Deng is reasonable for the Heat. Not sure what Deng was thinking in taking a short deal.

Deng, Bosh, Wade, McBob, seems like maybe a 6-7 seed out East if Wade plays a few more games. I dunno...That would get killed out West.

Dallas has to be sweating this now because if they don't get Parsons, they're down to Lance and not sure what else is available.

2016 free agency is shaping up to be a fun year.   I think that's the year players are hoping the cap goes up so it may be why Deng took the short term years.  If this was healthy Wade(meaning: playing more than 50 games), I say they could still be a top 5 team in the East.  It all depends on the health of the team, but they can definitely make the playoffs with that squad.

I didn't see much of Paul Pierce last season, but most say he had a good season numbers wise.  Although I don't think he has much superstar Paul left, if he comes off the bench and plays the last 5 minutes of a close game, I can see him being useful for the Wiz.  He's basically a hired gun now, which I don't really have a problem with.  I guess the Clippers didn't have enough money.

Bulls, once again, come up short in free agency.  Gasol is alright for them, but I don't think anyone thinks that gets them out of the east.