DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

There's not a lot else going on right now.

I hear that and don't even disagree. It just seems like it is letting them have their way when reacting to it. I'll be honest and say that they can still bait me into getting annoyed about the perceptions of Russell Westbrook.

I got really interested in the Kobe conversation and I wanted to see if there really are that many players that are in the conversation.  I came up with 11 that I don't think would get much argument.

Deron Williams - Nets

Derrick Rose - Bulls

Lebron James and Kevin Love - Cavaliers

Stephen Curry - Warriors

Chris Paul - Clippers

Carmelo Anthony - Knicks

Kevin Durant and Russel Westbrook - Thunder

LeMarcus Aldridge - Trail Blazers

John Wall - Wizards

I'm not saying that the players below are better than Kobe, but trying to see how a case could be made.

If you average Kobe's Player Efficiency Rating for the last three years he was healthy it is around 23.  Players that aren't on the list above that are above or around 23: 

Anthony Davis 26.5 - Pelicans

DeMarcus Cousins 26.1 - Kings

Blake Griffin 23.9 - Clippers

Dirk Nowitzki 23.6 - Mavericks

James Harden 23.5 - Rockets

Al Jefferson 22.7 - Hornets

Andre Drummond 22.6 - Pistons 

Kobe's offensive stats are very impressive, but Kobe has been on the all NBA Defensive 1st or 2nd team 12 times.  2013-14 Players on 1st or 2nd team defense that would merit serious consideration:

Joakim Noah - 1st team, defensive player of the year

Serge Ibaka - 1st team

Other players that should merit consideration

DeMar DeRozan 22.7 ppg (#10 in the league) - Raptors

DeAndre Jordan - 13.6 reb (#1), 2.5 blk (#3), 5.8 defensive win shares (#3)

From here you can make a case for players with intangibles such as will Chris Bosh return back to Toronto form in Miami, will Dwight Howard's back allow him to be the defensive player he was in the past or will Brook Lopez be healthy this year, but numbers wise if Kobe can come back at 80-90 percent this year I can't see him being the 40th best player in the league.

At Sixers-Nets. There were two lane violations in the same quarter. When is the last game you've seen that had two in a game, much less a quarter? And AK47 airballed a ft. God this is awful.

This is silly.

What makes ya'll think Kobe's deal is only for playing basketball? That's impossibly naive. Kobe is a brand and an icon in his city, like Derek Jeter. His pay reflects that. Whether or not that's What's Best For Business is a whole 'nother convo. But he's not overpaid.

I won't really argue about where Kobe should be in that ESPN list since I don't really have a problem with him being ranked 40. He's in his 19-20th season. 40 seems reasonable for a guy who's been around that long and is coming off two injuries and only played 6 games last season. 

My concern is actually when they started getting into the 60s and then got into the 40s and its that I'm not impressed with the talent level for this season. It feels like there's less superstar talent, but I think its because we had this great run of stars coming in from 96 thru 2004 and it seems like there's been good, but not great talent lately.

As far as Kobe-bashing by ESPN lately, I don't care. They do it all the time. Kobe bashing ESPN is just as amusing. It will likely lead to some rather entertaining ESPN in-game interviews while having to watch this Laker team struggle along for the season.

Really you have like 10 guys that most people would consider the top tier premier players in the league.  Then there's probably like 20-30 guys after that that anyone could make a valid argument of one over the other.  Kobe is in that group.  So yeah you could make a valid point of him being like the 15th best player in the league or the 35th best player in the league.  There's not a lot of separation between those guys. 

I won't really argue about where Kobe should be in that ESPN list since I don't really have a problem with him being ranked 40. He's in his 19-20th season. 40 seems reasonable for a guy who's been around that long and is coming off two injuries and only played 6 games last season. 

My concern is actually when they started getting into the 60s and then got into the 40s and its that I'm not impressed with the talent level for this season. It feels like there's less superstar talent, but I think its because we had this great run of stars coming in from 96 thru 2004 and it seems like there's been good, but not great talent lately.

As far as Kobe-bashing by ESPN lately, I don't care. They do it all the time. Kobe bashing ESPN is just as amusing. It will likely lead to some rather entertaining ESPN in-game interviews while having to watch this Laker team struggle along for the season.

Thanks for reminding me that this buttcheeks team will still get more national TV games than anyone else.

How could it not be? It's in the back of everyone's head. Everyone in the city is holding their breath every time he has the ball. I don't know when that feeling will go away.

EDIT: Also people should read this piece on Rose,in which his brother says, "He knows he will never get back to that."  It's pretty good, and gives a lot more insight into probably the shyest superstar in the NBA: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11694655/derrick-rose-new-player-new-man-ready-end-cycle-injuries