DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Dude I'm getting so bodied for this season.  Shit is gonna be amazing.

I know I'm itching for it to get started. Looking forward to seeing Noel, Grant and McDaniels develop this year. I really like this approach of taking players that can already defend. Develop their offense game in pros based on how you want to use them. When someone can defend you already know that they put effort into what they are doing. Saric said at the draft he can get out in 1 year. Looks like there is at least a shot next year of having the core four ready to go.

Embiid

Noel

Saric

SG

MCW

I have to say I agree with the talk in town of Klay Thompson fitting in there perfectly. Even the pieces of a decent bench seem to be in place. I don't know maybe it is just rose colored glasses but I think the team has been incredibly lucky the last 2 off-seasons with getting Noel and Embiid. Plus great value in the 2nd round getting guys that slipped because of combine performance.

Tankadelphia 2.0 - The Tankening Continues

The best part will be hearing the commentators yearn for an 8 seed and first round exit ceiling.  

The reporters are bitter that they keep getting played. First with, what thankfully turned out to be nonsense, Hinkie's alleged Wiggins fetish. Follow that up with the Bennett trade that didn't happen. They have no reliable sources for information in the organization. I don't know what the tv ratings were for the games last year. I am sure they were incredibly low. Hopefully not so low that they ever drifted into the range of the Houston Astros the last couple years. The Astros highlight being the 0.0 rating with an estimated 2,000 viewers. Point being that the writers aren't really even writing for the people that watch the games. More like the people waiting for them to win to watch. I just don't see how anyone could be unhappy with what has gone down so far. I get wanting to see at least one of the first rounders play this year. But they got the first round pick back from Orlando from the awful Bynum trade and Saric looks like a player. Them all going to Spain to support Saric was the best.

Saric-fan-section-2.jpg

Saric looks taller than his listed height

joel%2Bembiid%2Bmcw%2Bnoel%2Bsaric%2Besp

You have no idea how happy I am about the Sixers.  People can complain but they have three legit tall prospects.  The starting five you posted gets me excited for this team in a couple of years.

Everything they are doing is right.  From drafting solid lottery prospects (MCW ROY at 11 when the top 10 was bad), good second round prospects, accumulating draft picks (look at the negative balance on their trades sometime), and being realistic and frank about the future.  

Sending the guys over to hang with Saric was awesome.  Classy move from a rebuilding franchise trying to convince a guy to come over to what will be a bad team when he arrives.

It would not surprise me if the Sixers ratings were close to zero.  Philadelphia is the hardest market to sell pro basketball in the nation.  You have six college teams, the Big 5 games, and a ton of college fans.  You have to work to sell tickets in this town because the college games get more time.  Every office has multiple built in rivalries so it is almost impossible to sell the pro game,

The best part of the Sixers games has been Malik Rose.  I have no idea how he is not doing national broadcasts.

• Like 1

IIRC, there is some extenuating circumstances around the Astros ratings, something about them signing a local deal with a network that a surprisingly small number of people in the greater Houston area can actually get.

Man, I love the Joel Embiid pick.  A guy whose floor/ceiling range appears to literally be "Sam Bowie 3.0*" to "The Second Coming of The Dream" is someone you have to be excited to see hit the NBA.

*Oden, obviously, being 2.0

• Like 2

I wasn't excited about the Pau signing, but this might work out for the best with Noah coming off his first knee surgery.This might even make Noah's minutes even more important. He won't have to play as many, and he can possibly go harder during his time on the court. This will be the deepest bench in Thib's career as a Bull's coach, which means not everyone will have to play a billion minutes, which will keep us from burn out by playoffs.

... Except Jimmy Buttler. Thibs said Jimmy is better with his new leaner frame which means his cardio is probably up. Thibs would play him for 60 minute in a 48 minute game if he could.

You have no idea how happy I am about the Sixers. People can complain but they have three legit tall prospects. The starting five you posted gets me excited for this team in a couple of years.

Everything they are doing is right. From drafting solid lottery prospects (MCW ROY at 11 when the top 10 was bad), good second round prospects, accumulating draft picks (look at the negative balance on their trades sometime), and being realistic and frank about the future.

Sending the guys over to hang with Saric was awesome. Classy move from a rebuilding franchise trying to convince a guy to come over to what will be a bad team when he arrives.

It would not surprise me if the Sixers ratings were close to zero. Philadelphia is the hardest market to sell pro basketball in the nation. You have six college teams, the Big 5 games, and a ton of college fans. You have to work to sell tickets in this town because the college games get more time. Every office has multiple built in rivalries so it is almost impossible to sell the pro game,

The best part of the Sixers games has been Malik Rose. I have no idea how he is not doing national broadcasts.

I'm a STH and am excited for this season. I live in NY and got them because it costs me less to get Sixers season to see my Knicks twice (plus 41 extra games) than it would to see two games at MSG even factoring in travel costs (thanks $18 rt Chinatown bus! ). Also I love the city of Philadelphia and need an excuse to visit as often as I can. But it's been my experience that Philly will support the Sixers passionately if given a reason. There have been numerous times going through Center City after games where random people along the way spot me wearing Sixers gear and high five me. The Iverson game last year was proof that deep down people care about the Sixers.

Woo, it's First Preseason Game Day!  Our long national nightmare of no-basketball is finally over...kinda.  Anyway, Pelicans at Heat tonight in Louisville.  No TV, but I think the radio feed is streaming somewhere.

Swaggy P is out 6-8 weeks with a torn thumb ligament.  Not a real auspicious start for the Lakers' season.

• Like 1

If you look around enough, you can probably find a feed of every game.  Last year I was able to tap into a couple that were just from the in-arena cameras and the radio commentary.  I'm hella excited though.  I get a League Pass discount through work so I sprung for the full package.  Looking forward to a lot of teams this year.  Mavs(obvi), Suns, Hornets, Wolves, Cavs, Blazers and even the Bucks all look like super fun teams.

I had been planning to watch the game tonight. Doesn't look like it is airing anywhere. Neither of the local markets will have it. Checked a couple forums to confirm and it does appear to be the only Heat preseason game that won't be airing. Looks like both will be running a college football game instead. League pass shows it like it is airing but the local stations that run the games don't. I know I'll end up checking again when the time comes and if it isn't on I will find it somewhere on radio.

If you look around enough, you can probably find a feed of every game.  Last year I was able to tap into a couple that were just from the in-arena cameras and the radio commentary.  I'm hella excited though.  I get a League Pass discount through work so I sprung for the full package.  Looking forward to a lot of teams this year.  Mavs(obvi), Suns, Hornets, Wolves, Cavs, Blazers and even the Bucks all look like super fun teams.

I'm waiting to see if they sorted out the streaming issues before I drop the cash on League Pass this year.  My cable company doesn't offer it so it's no good to me if I can't watch online.

I'm irrationally excited about the Pelicans this year.  I don't think they'll be good, but I think they'll be weird and I am always excited to watch the shit Anthony Davis does.

Speaking of League Pass. (Slightly)

The next TV deal with ESPN and TNT is going to be for 9 years at 24 Billion Dollars.

The next lockout is going to last four years.

sbnation.com/2014/10/5/6916597/nba-new-tv-deal-espn-turner-24-billion

• Like 1

I am legit sad that I have to deal with ESPN's shitty coverage for another 9 years. 

Preseason stuff.  I thought the Raptors looked extremely strong last night.  Easy 50 win team this year.  Hansbrough is going to be very important, and will probably see a bigger role than he has in his whole career.

The next lock out is going to be absolutely amazing. I wonder what happens first; the big market owners turn on the small market ones or the stars turn on the role players.

LeBron and Durant should have enough money to start their own league at that point.  Kobe will buy the rights for a LA team to crush Jimmy Buss' hopes and dreams.

The cavs need to go back to their early 1990's uni's. These Gold/burgundy things are awful. . .

You see it's funny because the Cavs created the new uniforms to distance themselves from LeBron after he left, and now we're stuck with them for the time being.  They are just so bland.  Probably my least favorite unis aside from the ones right before the first LeBron Era started. 

657189_display_image.jpg?1300233869

I am all for bringing back these ones however. 

brandon_140529.jpg?itok=QYL5YMlm