DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

How long a deal on Rio?

Because I wouldn't totally rule out that Riles is buying time until a 2016 run at pairing Durant with (a hopefully still in his prime) Chris Bosh.

Trading up for Shabazz is still fine because so far the PJ Hairston experience has been...questionable. I think they're going to try and trade Cole anyway.

They're saying Birdman is staying in Miami as well on a multi-year deal, probably 2 years like Rio and Deng. At this point I'm hoping they can sign a guy like Okafor for cheap on a 2 year deal so Bosh can move back to the 4.

I'm assuming a big part of the reason Bosh re-signed (along with the sweet, sweet cash) is that he trusts Riley to keep building a contender.  I mean, he did bring Shaq in and build a champion before the Heatles era, and he built a contender that never quite got over the hump during the Mourning-era.

I think these signings, along with a few other shooters makes Miami a 2nd round of the playoffs type team in the East.  Right now, I'm saying the ECF is Cleveland-DC.

And then Rio.....  ugh.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Caron Butler going to Detroit 2/9. I don't think he's ever going to play for Miami again at this rate, very disappointing but at that price he makes what Miami got Granger for look like a complete steal.

Treat him well Fowler.

The booking is obvious here, guys.

Cleveland #1 seed, Miami #4 or #5, big time second round matchup.

That's assuming Miami can get out of the first round. Right now I like the Cavs, Wizards, Pacers and Bulls more than Miami. Maybe Atlanta also with Horford back.

Washington has very quietly put together a nice nucleus that should allow Pierce to pace himself through games until he's needed in the fourth quarter to do a few Paul Pierce things.

As long as Nene stays healthy, which is never a given, they have a chance to do something in the next two years. I really like their starting five and the fact that they have Webster/Porter as off the bench energy. If they can get Gooden back as bench muscle, even better.

• Like 1

*furiously looks up shooting percentages 

Well, he's better than Smith.

Anyone want a slightly used Josh Smith?

Only if you pick up 90 percent of the salary. . . even then probably not.

Honestly, if Monroe leaves, Smith wouldn't be nearly as bad playing primarily at the 4.

But he wouldn't be as good as having Monroe there and an actual wing at the 3...

Hmmm... lets look at the East...

Blue Playoff possibility

Red - No Playoffs

I have the right to change my mind once training camp starts and injuries happen :)

Boston - Looks the same as last year with no major acquisitions except the draft pick. 

Brooklyn - They lost Livingston, Pierce and Kidd. KG is old and brittle. Deron is a shell. They miss the playoffs this year.  

New York - Carmelo is back but Chandler isn't. Can Calderon be a difference maker? Carmelo usually makes the playoffs but he has some dogs for teammates and Fisher is unproven as a coach. they could be the playoff team with a losing record that usually takes the 8th spot. 

Philadelphia - Still the pits... but they have a plan for 2017!!!!

Toronto - Have they lost anyone besides De Colo? If not, they will have another middle of the pack playoff run. 

Chicago - Gasol was a nice pickup but everyone knows Chicago going further in the playoffs is contingent upon Rose. I have little faith he can make it to the playoffs. 

Cleveland - If they land Love, they have homecourt advantage for a couple of rounds. If not, Lebron takes the mto the playoffs but is too tired to go far. 

Detroit - Has Detroit picked anyone up? Is the front office still a mess? No faith. 

Indiana - If they keep Stephenson learns how to play again, they will be fine. No Stephenson, they take a step back but still have home court in first round. 

Milwaukee - Will Parker & Kidd give them a turnaround? I have little faith in this franchise. 

Atlanta - I have faith in Coach Bud and a healthy Horford. I don't know why they are excited about Sefolosha but whatever. If they land a quality free agent and stay healthy, they make the playoffs.

Charlotte - They Lost McBob but picked up Marvin Williams. I can see them taking the Atlanta spot of having a losing record but making the playoffs. 

Miami - Signing Deng is like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole. Keeping Bosh was also fine and signing McBob was sound. They kept the same two lame point guards so they will not make it out of the first round. 

Orlando - The DeVos family should just have these guys sell Amway products at halftime. They have the same team and I don't see them getting better. 

Washington - They lose Ariza but get Pierce and it looks like DeJuan Blair as well. I think they make the playoffs handily. 

I flipped Brooklyn and New York making the playoffs. Just a hunch that Carmelo doesn't stay out of the playoffs for very long. Everyone else looks the same. I think Charlotte misses the playoffs because the Cavs will make the post-season.Did I miss something where a team in red is better than i am giving them credit for? 

Hmmm... lets look at the East...

Blue Playoff possibility

Red - No Playoffs

I have the right to change my mind once training camp starts and injuries happen :)

Boston - Looks the same as last year with no major acquisitions except the draft pick. 

Brooklyn - They lost Livingston, Pierce and Kidd. KG is old and brittle. Deron is a shell. They miss the playoffs this year.  

New York - Carmelo is back but Chandler isn't. Can Calderon be a difference maker? Carmelo usually makes the playoffs but he has some dogs for teammates and Fisher is unproven as a coach. they could be the playoff team with a losing record that usually takes the 8th spot. 

Philadelphia - Still the pits... but they have a plan for 2017!!!!

Toronto - Have they lost anyone besides De Colo? If not, they will have another middle of the pack playoff run. 

Chicago - Gasol was a nice pickup but everyone knows Chicago going further in the playoffs is contingent upon Rose. I have little faith he can make it to the playoffs. 

Cleveland - If they land Love, they have homecourt advantage for a couple of rounds. If not, Lebron takes the mto the playoffs but is too tired to go far. 

Detroit - Has Detroit picked anyone up? Is the front office still a mess? No faith. 

Indiana - If they keep Stephenson learns how to play again, they will be fine. No Stephenson, they take a step back but still have home court in first round. 

Milwaukee - Will Parker & Kidd give them a turnaround? I have little faith in this franchise. 

Atlanta - I have faith in Coach Bud and a healthy Horford. I don't know why they are excited about Sefolosha but whatever. If they land a quality free agent and stay healthy, they make the playoffs.

Charlotte - They Lost McBob but picked up Marvin Williams. I can see them taking the Atlanta spot of having a losing record but making the playoffs. 

Miami - Signing Deng is like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole. Keeping Bosh was also fine and signing McBob was sound. They kept the same two lame point guards so they will not make it out of the first round. 

Orlando - The DeVos family should just have these guys sell Amway products at halftime. They have the same team and I don't see them getting better. 

Washington - They lose Ariza but get Pierce and it looks like DeJuan Blair as well. I think they make the playoffs handily. 

I flipped Brooklyn and New York making the playoffs. Just a hunch that Carmelo doesn't stay out of the playoffs for very long. Everyone else looks the same. I think Charlotte misses the playoffs because the Cavs will make the post-season.Did I miss something where a team in red is better than i am giving them credit for? 

Did you actually pick anyone to, you know, win the East? 

McDermott dropped 31 on 12 shots last night!

Summer league getting me hyped!!! This year is the return of the Bench Mob. Rose, Gibson, Noah, Butler, Pau, Mirotic, Mcdermott, Kirk, Dunleavy and Snell is the deepest Bulls team since Rose's MVP year.

• Like 1