DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

The cavs didn't have multiple 60-win seasons in a weak conference?

I don't know what this has to do with anything. Those teams were not built to win championships, they just couldn't compete against teams with more than one scoring option. LeBron is the best player of his generation, but this is still a team game. No one has ever won a championship with one star who did everything. It just doesn't exist. You can't beat a team if one guy has to be the best scorer, defender, playmaker, rebounder, and leader and the other team has multiple players to fill different roles. It is impossible.

Rick Barry won in '75 with his second best player being a rookie Keith (Jamaal) Wilkes. Barry, while not his team's best rebounder, never gets brought up in these discussions despite how much of an incredible one man show that team was. Barry is criminally underrated even if it is mostly his own doing.

Did you see Rick Barry on Highly Questionable?  If there is one guy who doesn't criminally underrate Rick Barry, it is Rick Barry. 

I think if Cleveland had shown a lick of promise in the last three years, if the Lakers weren't a sinking ship and Dallas wasn't going to be a similar situation in a year or two, I would be more concerned that LeBron was leaving.

This is going to come down to whether or not LeBron still has faith in Riley/Arison to give him what he needs to win. Nothing else.

Lakers need to trade the 7th pick for Kevin Love and then sign Lebron. Re-sign Pau for a few pesos and we ARE BACK, JACK!!!! The rest of the team will feature a revolving door of players, celebs, fans working on 10-day contracts!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!! I'm now ignoring everyone's posts for the next few weeks as I live in my fantasy world of Summer of Love-Lebron!

• Like 1

Did you see Rick Barry on Highly Questionable?  If there is one guy who doesn't criminally underrate Rick Barry, it is Rick Barry. 

Hahaha.  Thank you for saying this.  Anybody who's ever listened to Rick Barry talk for more than 5 minutes knows that he has an amazingly outsized opinion of himself.

Is Wade becoming decrepit poetic justice for 2 years of Heat fans jokes about Derrick Rose?

Not really.  Wade's knees have been a concern for a while.  Between the apparent botched surgery he had at Marquette and his kamikaze playing style, it was bound to happen.  If anything, the production Wade gave Miami during the first three rounds this year was a small blessing.

Lakers need to trade the 7th pick for Kevin Love and then sign Lebron. Re-sign Pau for a few pesos and we ARE BACK, JACK!!!! The rest of the team will feature a revolving door of players, celebs, fans working on 10-day contracts!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!! I'm now ignoring everyone's posts for the next few weeks as I live in my fantasy world of Summer of Love-Lebron!

With whatever current management the Lakers have, I hope they continue to buy superstar mixes only for it to blow up in their face. Nash-Howard was a disaster. Can't wait for the Love-Carmelo disaster to follow. 

I was hoping it would lead to some jokes. Needed a laugh. 3 relatives died today in unrelated events which has some really long odds of happening. Don't think I have a right to make those kind of complaints due to the whole location thing. Really not all that uncommon for a 32 year old athlete to be on his last legs. I'm really curious how things are going to turn out for Rose. Think it safe to say his spot as one of the two most explosive players in the league with Westbrook will be gone. Looks like Lilliard's spot now. Sometimes guys lose most of their vertical too though. Like Elton Brand.

Is Wade becoming decrepit poetic justice for 2 years of Heat fans jokes about Derrick Rose?

I expect Wade to play more minutes than Rose next season. Does anyone care to disagree?

Define play...cause if it's Wade playing NBA2K15 then totally agree

Play=accumulate numbers in the counting stat known as "minutes played"

Hahaha.  Thank you for saying this.  Anybody who's ever listened to Rick Barry talk for more than 5 minutes knows that he has an amazingly outsized opinion of himself.

I love it on old NBA footage when the Warriors get knocked out and Barry steps into the CBS booth. He was a great commentator. Brilliant at reading the play.

Rick Barry is one of the greatest basketball minds I've ever listened to. It's a shame he was such an asshole that he's never been given a chance to coach. Think of all the asshole coaches the league has and imagine how big an asshole Barry must've been to not get a chance. It's staggering.  I heard Peter Vecsey one time say that Rick Barry was every bit as good as Larry Bird and I think may not be far off. Barry had the misfortune of being a mega prick and playing a lot of his career in the least popular period in NBA history.

It comes down the most to Him/Riley/ect al being able to talk Wade out of opting in at 20 million.

I think this is the right answer.  I don't think he's going to have enough faith in the basic same lineup to come back and give it another go.  And they couldn't improve it adequately with Wade not opting out.  I definitely don't see Wade turning down that money so that leads me to: where does LeBron go?  A lot of people keep saying Chicago but I don't see them doing that and I don't see him going to Cleveland either.  Where else would be a good fit?

I'm thinking about who would even have the cap to sign Lebron.  Sure he isn't commanding max contract money, but you still need to pony up no less than 15 mil.  Houston are a bunch of star fuckers, so they would dump Lin/Asik to make it work.  Charlotte has cap, but that isn't happening.  Dallas is a longshot as well, and to be quite candid, I don't want the Lebron media circus and bandwagon fans on my team.  The Lakers have space, but they are a disaster.  So basically, he's best off if he stays in Miami and hopes Riley sorts it out.

If the Lakers weren't quite as screwed up he would seem like the perfect guy to take over the lead role with them since Kobe is clearly in his swan song years.

They don't have the cap but him going to the Clippers would be cool, him playing alongside Griffin and Paul.