DVDVR Message Board

PS3 RPG Recomendations

FLIK

So yeah, i've always been a huge RPG fan but I only just got a PS3 a couple of months ago so i'm way out of the loop on what's worth picking up for the system. Anyone recomend anything worth my time? 

I have & just beat FF13 (the ultimate be careful what you wish for game to me), loved the characters, liked the story well enough but hated the gameplay for all the reasons most ppl i've seen comment on it seem to so i'm in no rush to get 13-2. 

FF9 is better. Other than that, I haven't gotten into too many PS3 RPG's, mainly due to time, although I'Ll probably pick up Lightning Returns just to wipe the bad taste FF13 left in my mouth.

FF9 is better. Other than that, I haven't gotten into too many PS3 RPG's, mainly due to time, although I'Ll probably pick up Lightning Returns just to wipe the bad taste FF13 left in my mouth.

So you want to wipe the bad taste of FFXIII by having more of FFXIII?

So you want to wipe the bad taste of FFXIII by having more of FFXIII?

Well, I hated the end of XIII, and didn't like XIII-2, but I'm hoping that just playing as Lightning and tearing shit up will make everything right.

If you're going to play an Elder Scrolls game I'd say skip Oblivion and jump right into Skyrim.  It's better in pretty much every conceivable way.  

Kingdoms of Amalur is kind of a dumbed-down Elder Scrolls with better combat and can be had for cheap.  They also spent a ridiculous amount of time on the world-building and it shows.

I really enjoyed Nier, although it is totally batshit crazy.

If you like SRPGs then Disagaea 4 is a must-have.  

Allready played Skyrim on PC, great game, spent atleast 100+ hrs on it before burning out. 

I'm more looking for traditional FF style RPGs. 

Disagaea 4 is a must-have. 

Yeah Disgaea 2 was a favorite of mine on PS2 so Disgaea 3 & 4 are titles i'll prob pick up soon. 

There don't seem to be as many out thear but I am really big on SRPGs. Front Mission 3 is maybe my 2nd favorite game ever after FF7.

Insanely disapointed to learn Front Mission Evolved isn't of the same style....seriously WTF?????

Also looking into Star Ocean 4 if anyone has any thoughts on that. 

I'll second Nier but don't dip into the sidequests too much unless you want to slowly go insane. The story alone is worth a look and that's not something I say often with games.

Maybe I'm losing interest in that style of RPG but I tapped out of Ni No Kuni about 11 hours in as the combat going through dungeons just became a bit much. If you're looking for RPGs though, I'm sure you're down so I can recommend it anyway. The game looks gorgeous too.

If you are going to get SO4, then find the International version with the Japanese dialogue.  The US voice acting for SO4 was not very good.

Some of the Edge Maverick as Captain Kirk stuff can be either amusing or creepy given which borderline underaged female crew member is trying to lock him down at the time, but that is an American cultural boggle I suppose.

Tales of Graces F and the soon to be released in the US Tales of Xilia are both really fun RPGs.  The combat system is basically in the vein of beat-em-up games, but the stories are pretty standard RPG fare.  The whole series is like comfort-food to me; they don't really push the boundaries in any way, but man they do scratch that itch I get for a classic RPG.

Resonance of Fate I thought was a really fun RPG with its battle system (turn based, but each turn you have one of your characters run/jump along a straight lined path while you fire away with guns) and the crazy gun customization that's possible.

If you are going to get SO4, then find the International version with the Japanese dialogue.  The US voice acting for SO4 was not very good.

Some of the Edge Maverick as Captain Kirk stuff can be either amusing or creepy given which borderline underaged female crew member is trying to lock him down at the time, but that is an American cultural boggle I suppose.

Ended up picking this up a few days ago. Only a few hours in but so far it's ticking all the old school nostalgic boxes I was hoping for. Haven't even minded the English voices either.

Disgaea 3 & 4 will probably be my next buys.

This whole search has kinda made me miss the days before there was so much info out thear. Reading all the diffrent reviews on various titles just leaves me conflicted and indicisive on what I should pick up. Back in the day i'd just randomly buy shit cause it looked cool or I heard a tiny bit of buzz on a msg forum or something or fuck, just because of who put the game out in the days whear made by Squaresoft = automatic fucking buy no questions asked. 

Also realised I really need to just bite the bullet, buy another PS2 & revisit all the old stuff I used to love and some of the bigger titles I haven't played yet like Persona 4 (which I own) so I can continue my streak of loving every Persona game, playing the hell out of them and then burning out right near the end and never finishing them :)