DVDVR Message Board

AC/DC Ends

Dolfan in NYC

Ugh. Sucks that they're packing it in, but it says a metric ton for Malcolm that they wouldn't even consider going on without him.

Maybe Angus can finally graduate from primary school now...

They've toured without Malcolm before (with Malcolm's nephew), but I guess he's such a part of the songwriting process that they can't make an album without him. They should be doing OK for money, one would bet.

It's cool that they're acknowledging they're not 100 percent without him and not endlessly slogging on doing greatest-hits tours and no new material.

I believe they made a pact with the other band members post Bon to not replace each other.

I remember going to see them in 2008. Broke my leg playing cricket that day. Wasn't interested in giving up a ticket I paid hundreds for. Hobbled along on crutches. Absolutely hated it. Dickheads everywhere.

Still remember the guitar solos though. Made it more than worth it.

BAH GAWD, KING! THAT'S. . .um, AC/DC's music.

http://loudwire.com/conflicting-reports-acdc-future/

According to The Australian, the group has booked a six-week stint set to begin May 1 in Vancouver to lay down music for their next album, which would be their first since 2008′s ‘Black Ice.’ Johnson had stated earlier this year that he was confident that a new album would get done and that it would coincide with a tour.

There's some really weird rumors floating about Malcom right now. Everything from early onset Alzhiemers/Demntia to advanced cancer. I mean just the other day Aerosmith played a show without Brad Whitford because he was on that Hendrix tour. It's one thing to have someone fill in, but it really does say a lot about AC/DC if Malcom is so bad off that they are willing to call it quits.

Aerosmith has played several shows without Whitford and Tom Hamilton (though dunno about at the same time) due to health issues. Generally, someone from Joe Perry's solo band fills in.

My whole notion of "irreplaceable" in a rock/pop band bit the dust when Bon Jovi started touring wiithout Richie Sambora. I figured the fans wouldn't stand for it, but they don't care. 

I figured that had more to do with it than money, like Jon Bon Jovi said. He probably said "get thyself to rehab or no more tour," and Sambora said "problem? What problem? I'm fine....." and that was that.

Could Steven Tyler tour in a band called Aerosmith without Joe Perry? Could Mick tour in the Stones without Keith? I say "maybe" to scenario 1, "probably not" to scenario 2.

Didn't Joe Perry threaten to do an Aerosmith tour without Steven Tyler a few years ago?

Yeah. And supposedly they had Joe Lynn Turner lined up for a tour and possibly album because Stephen Tyler wanted to do solo stuff. When I mentioned Brad Whitford, Aerosmith played as a 4 piece at a special show at the Whiskey (its on youtube from live nation). Granted the keyboard player was with them and Slash joined in at the end, but still they were a 4 piece.

Well as for ACDC, they put out a statement today saying that Malcom is taking time off for his health but they are not retiring.

Could Steven Tyler tour in a band called Aerosmith without Joe Perry? 

He did exactly that in the late 70s/early 80s. 

While that's true, fans didn't exactly love the idea and they weren't the powerhouse they once were.  And that was back before the massive comeback.  It's been almost 30 years since that comeback, and in that time it has been pretty much established that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry are the two guys that most fans see as the pillars of the band.  I mean, I'm a huge fan, and I love all 5 of them.  I've seen them 13 times,once without Tom Hamilton when he was out while undergoing treatment for throat cancer.  It was odd, but I could accept it because hey it was a no fault situation.  But if they ever just replaced a member due to a simple squabble again, I probably wouldn't see them live again, because for me as a fan, those 5 are Aerosmith. 

During the whole "replace Steven Tyler" thing a few years ago, I never really took it serious.  I saw it as a bunch of dudes all publicly sniping at each other, but I can't imagine turnout would have been good for Aerosmith with a different lead singer. 

But as a lot of tours prove, anything is possible.  People will go see almost anything.