DVDVR Message Board

But what about when Batman recovered from a broken spine by being punched in the back and swam away from a Nuke? All y'all motherfuckers were all over that.

There's a definite double standard when it comes to Marvel vs literally any other form of entertainment and it's saddening.

But that's IN THE MOVIE. That was Chris Nolan saying 'eh, that works for me.' In his non super hero "i want this to be realistic serious business' Batman movie.

There are Avengers in Thor. There was never an intention to include them. 

The inverse of this is 'those last minute Hawkeye pick ups in the first Thor were weird and messed up the pace.' This is a thing that I think about an Avenger that was in a Thor movie. If I had been like 'just Hawkeye? this movie is stupid where is Jack of Hearts' I would be doing it wrong. 

If I had walked out of Dark Knight Rises like 'fuck this garbage why was Green Arrow shooting Bane up with green arrows,' then we would be on the same page, because that is you. 

Argue pace. Argue that Darcy still doesn't have a last name. Just argue something that's in the movie. 

Also, I love that we had 5 pages of how shitty Agents of SHIELD is followed by people being mad that SHIELD didn't show up in Thor. THESE CHARACTERS ARE AWFUL Y THEY NOT IN FEATURE FILM

Who was asking for that team to show up?

Can you imagine the record scratch when a van pulls up and Skye/Ward get out to debrief Thor? 

• Like 1

There were some MCU movie tie-ins that showed what other characters were doing when big events were going on.  Black Widow was shadowing Bruce Banner and the Hulk situation throughout The Incredible Hulk.  She found The Leader/Samuel Sterns and had him taken into custody.

War Machine was fighting terrorists overseas during the battle of New York.  

Ultimately, I'm not too worried about it.  There is always shit going on in the Marvel Universe where its like, "where are such and heroes?  This is right in their backyard."  It happens constantly.  I'm not saying its perfect, but its something you can easily explain away with a throwaway line.  Like Jane slaps Thor for not seeing her when he came back.  He apologized and explained he was busy fighting to protect earth and the nine realms, he was away at war and didn't have time to stop in to see her.  Plus, I got the sense that Odin was not allowing Thor to entertain his romance with her.  The only reason he allowed her to stay in Asgard was because of her becoming a container for the Aether.

But what about when Batman recovered from a broken spine by being punched

That bit, while stupid, didn't really bother me.

But, the more honest answer is this:  Thor: The Dark World kept me entertained the whole way through.  Other than the Catwoman scenes, the first 2 hours of Dark Knight Rises bored me half to death, so my mind wandered into noticing stupid little things like the god awful sound mix, how stupid Bane's voice was, how the movement of time in the movie was utterly fucked, and how back punching really isn't sound medical treatment.

The last 40 minutes or so Rises was really great, and the plot holes didn't occur to me until well after the film was over.

I have absolutely zero expectation that this will be picked up on by Marvel TV, but I can't help but notice that three of the four lead characters for the Netflix shows have a connection to Scott Lang (he dated Jessica for a while, and Bendis's implication was that they'd have stayed together and been happy if she hadn't found out she had Luke's kid, and he was a partner in the 90s version of Heroes for Hire).  Depending on who they cast, I could see him slipping in and out of the Netflix shows for a couple episodes to link them to Phase 3 without adding an Avengers-level powerhouse to the mix.

• Like 1

Putting all the new Marvel shows in the 1970's would be a bad idea.  Now on one hand I can kind of understand giving the shows some type of unique attitude and tone.  On the other, all those major favorite Daredevil stories didn't happen in the 1970's.  They were in the 1980's.  That was his defining era.  And to me the best Iron Fist run ever was Brubaker and Fraction from some years back.      

You do realize that most comic stories can take place in any decade?  Just because they were published outside the '70s doesn't preclude them from being set in the '70s during an adaptation.

Sure they can, but why?  You can make gritty crime dramas without being set in the 70's.

This is tremendous, you guys have the highest standards when it comes to pro wres logic, but when it comes to movies in the same "universe" it's all ok because comics. That is the entire gist of your argument.

The One Riot / One Ranger rule has always worked for comics.  I don't see the problem.  If The Hulk showed up to fix every superhero's problems, then they'd all be Hulk comics. 

The Hulk can't be everywhere at once nor could he cross the Atlantic by himself unless he got a huge running start, took a big leap, and had one helluva tailwind.

The more damning question was where were the UK military forces? Giant magical alien starship thingie in the middle of London only gets a two fighter jet response?

Fuck the "Where Was The Hulk?" stupid shit.  WHERE WAS CAPTAIN BRITAIN?

I'm still stunned by the lack of acceptance of the "It's a Thor movie. Let him handle things" explanation.

Because it's a stupid one?

No, because it is stupid to assume that every hero on a planet will respond to the same shit at the same time where there are probably multiple threats both earthbound and galactic going on almost simutaneously. 

You think Malekith is like, "Hey, The Leader has got something going on with the Hulk this week so I'll wait a few days before I hatch my scheme against Thor."

Crime goes on in real life despite the existance of the police, because the cops can't be everywhere at the same time.  You don't need too many synapses firing to figure that out.

Our attention was focused on what Thor had going on at the time during this movie.  Want to see what the Hulk had going on at the time that Malekith was trashing London? Wait for the fucking Hulk movie.