DVDVR Message Board

Thoughts on Thor 2:

I was surprised by how much this was a sci-fi film.  Seemed like a lot of spaceships and lasers for a Thor movie.  Not really a complaint, but it was unexpected.  Kinda like how large parts of Iron Man 3 were more like a Bond movie.I read that the director didn't want Malekith to be a typical sneering villain; he wanted him to be more regal and dignified.  And I guess there were some character-building scenes that got cut out (I feel like I know more about the personality of the dude Jane went on that date with than I do the arch villain of the movie).  The result is that Malekith was kind of a stoic bore.  Honestly, I could have used some sneering.I liked the way they managed to weave Jane Foster into the plot.  Her presence didn't come off as contrived.  But a major problem with both the Thor movies is that I still have no clue why Thor and Jane are crazy for each other.  They imply that Jane does it for Thor in a way that Sif does not, but I don't know why.  Because Jane is more vulnerable and needs his protection?  Why is Thor so fascinated by Earth?  You'd think Odin could have just said, "Son, trust me.  If you marry the mortal, in thirty years you're going to look at Jane and look at Sif and… well, don't say I didn't warn you."Another flaw from the first movie that they repeated: they started the story by talking about how the main bad guy race got their asses kicked by the Asgardians in the past.  Not the best way to build up your villains.  I think they could have played up more how many Asgardians died in the original battle, then tied it into how many of those deathboats followed Frigga over the falls.  I felt like they glossed over that a bit.On that note, Malekith attacks Asgard, and while he inflicts significant damage, he's beaten back.  Yet the Asgardians still act like he has the upper hand and could come back and wallop them at any moment.  If that was true, why did he retreat?Anyway, I liked the action scenes, the pacing, and the Thor family dynamic.  And so while I listed a bunch of issues above, I overall liked the movie.  I thought the comedy fit in nicely (with one exception: I didn't like the gag where Thor and Malekith fall on the ceiling of the restaurant.  I think it cut into the seriousness of their battle.) So overall I was pretty happy with it.As far as the mid-credits scene, I agree that it looked like the original Star Trek.  Some elements seemed really goofy.  That could be fine; I've wondered if that's what GotG is going for.  But then you had elements of seriousness -- Sif and Valstagg were somber, the female alien who was sadly trapped in one of the Collector's cases, the ominous delivery of the last line -- so the tone of the scene was confused for me.  I hope they settle on a tone for the movie.

In 2013, Thor works best as a sci-fi/aliens flick, it's kind of lame to have a Norse "God" run around and actually be credibly challenged by antagonists. Being an alien-of-sorts implies he does, in fact, have weaknesses. And that's good for character development.

Wrote a review here:

http://joestarr.tumblr.com/post/66685033601/thor-2-the-best-possible-masters-of-the-universe-movie

Thor 2 was the best possible version of the Masters of the Universe movie, and I say that as the best compliment.

Yup, I've had the same vibe since the first trailer as well.

If Masters of the Universe ever does get another movie, I would want it to have a similar look and aesthetic of Thor 2.

I was happy with Thor 2 and also got the MoTU vibe going on. 

I really enjoyed the dynamic between the Odin family, especially the effort put in "humanizing" Loki and turning him into a character you could empathize with. 

I take it that since Malekith and Kurse figured into the story and

Loki has assumed the throne of Asgard

Thor 3 will push forward with the Ragnarok storyline. 

Oh one more thing.

THE COLLECTOR~!  FUCK YEAH~!  Introduction of the Elders has me stoked for GoTG, as if I needed more buzz to convince me to spend money.

Drew is handling my favorite Marvel character?

This is the best news since they announced Joss was writing and directing The Avengers.

Now lets get Ben Edlund on some zany and wacky Marvel project.

Thoughts on Thor 2:

I was surprised by how much this was a sci-fi film. Seemed like a lot of spaceships and lasers for a Thor movie. Not really a complaint, but it was unexpected. Kinda like how large parts of Iron Man 3 were more like a Bond movie.I read that the director didn't want Malekith to be a typical sneering villain; he wanted him to be more regal and dignified. And I guess there were some character-building scenes that got cut out (I feel like I know more about the personality of the dude Jane went on that date with than I do the arch villain of the movie). The result is that Malekith was kind of a stoic bore. Honestly, I could have used some sneering.I liked the way they managed to weave Jane Foster into the plot. Her presence didn't come off as contrived. But a major problem with both the Thor movies is that I still have no clue why Thor and Jane are crazy for each other. They imply that Jane does it for Thor in a way that Sif does not, but I don't know why. Because Jane is more vulnerable and needs his protection? Why is Thor so fascinated by Earth? You'd think Odin could have just said, "Son, trust me. If you marry the mortal, in thirty years you're going to look at Jane and look at Sif and… well, don't say I didn't warn you."Another flaw from the first movie that they repeated: they started the story by talking about how the main bad guy race got their asses kicked by the Asgardians in the past. Not the best way to build up your villains. I think they could have played up more how many Asgardians died in the original battle, then tied it into how many of those deathboats followed Frigga over the falls. I felt like they glossed over that a bit.On that note, Malekith attacks Asgard, and while he inflicts significant damage, he's beaten back. Yet the Asgardians still act like he has the upper hand and could come back and wallop them at any moment. If that was true, why did he retreat?Anyway, I liked the action scenes, the pacing, and the Thor family dynamic. And so while I listed a bunch of issues above, I overall liked the movie. I thought the comedy fit in nicely (with one exception: I didn't like the gag where Thor and Malekith fall on the ceiling of the restaurant. I think it cut into the seriousness of their battle.) So overall I was pretty happy with it.As far as the mid-credits scene, I agree that it looked like the original Star Trek. Some elements seemed really goofy. That could be fine; I've wondered if that's what GotG is going for. But then you had elements of seriousness -- Sif and Valstagg were somber, the female alien who was sadly trapped in one of the Collector's cases, the ominous delivery of the last line -- so the tone of the scene was confused for me. I hope they settle on a tone for the movie.

Because someday when Jane Foster dies, Sif will still be there. This is how he gets both.

I kinda hate what his brother and sister-in-law are doing to SHIELD, but I would be perfectly alright if all the Marvel TV shows just get farmed out to various Joss lieutenants. I'm going to go ahead and call Marti Noxon or Jane Espenson for the Jessica Jones show.

Well, nevermind. Looks like they've brought back Melissa Rosenberg to head up the version of Jessica Jones she was developing for ABC a little while back. Her oeuvre is somewhat less auspicious, including several of the TWILIGHT films, though she did work on a few of the less-shitty seasons of DEXTER.

Agents of SHIELD is Perfectly Acceptable TV, and is obviously not aimed towards the diehard Marvel fans. It's to hook in casual fans and housewives and shit. It's only been, what, 7 episodes? Out of 22? It's a slowburning show, that's for sure. It's got me hooked.

Next week's looks interesting. I wonder if the big piece of wood called Agent Ward is the first member of the team to get superpowers. I'd like to think them talking about "Rage" was a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

I've never watched Chuck so I don't know what that's supposed to mean. It's a perfectly fine TV show, to me. The plot points could be sped up some, and maybe incorporate some actual superhero/magic/whatever into the show, but I still like it. And I don't even really know why. I gotta admit, I'm waiting for the inevitable FitzSimmons kiss. I just love those two. The rest, excluding May and Coulson, can all die like Whedon is probably begging for.

Did I interpert this wrong, or did Victoria Hand just justify sending Coulson's Scoobies in with no Exfil strategy with "Barton and Romanov never had Exfil strategies."?  Because generic Agent dude and tech geek are on par with two of the AVENGERS.

I'm falling into "I really don't give a shit about Skye's mother getting offed by a SHIELD Agent" territory and they need to start dropping Supers into this pronto.