DVDVR Message Board

Yeah, it technically wasn't in the actual Civil War book, but an issue of Frontline.  But it was one of the key points to Cap realizing he was wrong and Tony was right (Note:  I don't think anyone who has ever read the book agrees with this point.  Marvel thought they had a great wedge issue where both guys had strong points.  They were very very wrong.  Almost as wrong as Tony was in the book...) which leads into the finish.

Okay, I'm going to do a combined talking about what happened after Civil War/speculating on the movies thing, so I'm going to spoiler tag it just in case.

At the end of Civil War, Cap surrendered, and then he was shot and "killed*" being taken in for his trial.  Bucky ended up replacing him as Captain America.  Sebastian Stan is signed for, iirc, 7 more films.  Chris Evans is signed for 2 more.  Throw in the rumor I mentioned above about Marvel wanting to leave some of the big non-RDJ names out of Avengers 3 to save them for a different movie, and going with Bucky Cap seems really plausible.  Team him up with his comic book girlfriend Black Widow, and you can possibly even make that work in it's own film.  Then you can bring Evans back in a "Return of Captain America" film somewhere down the line.

*Actually sent careening through time by a magic bullet.  The apparently coincidental similarities to what was happening with Batman at basically the exact same time are staggering.

Yeah, it technically wasn't in the actual Civil War book, but an issue of Frontline. But it was one of the key points to Cap realizing he was wrong and Tony was right (Note: I don't think anyone who has ever read the book agrees with this point. Marvel thought they had a great wedge issue where both guys had strong points. They were very very wrong. Almost as wrong as Tony was in the book...) which leads into the finish.

Okay, I'm going to do a combined talking about what happened after Civil War/speculating on the movies thing, so I'm going to spoiler tag it just in case.

At the end of Civil War, Cap surrendered, and then he was shot and "killed*" being taken in for his trial. Bucky ended up replacing him as Captain America. Sebastian Stan is signed for, iirc, 7 more films. Chris Evans is signed for 2 more. Throw in the rumor I mentioned above about Marvel wanting to leave some of the big non-RDJ names out of Avengers 3 to save them for a different movie, and going with Bucky Cap seems really plausible. Team him up with his comic book girlfriend Black Widow, and you can possibly even make that work in it's own film. Then you can bring Evans back in a "Return of Captain America" film somewhere down the line.

*Actually sent careening through time by a magic bullet. The apparently coincidental similarities to what was happening with Batman at basically the exact same time are staggering.

I'm not sure Cap ever came around to agreeing with that woman. I think he dismissed her as a raving lunatic.

My interpretation was Cap never thought Tony was right either, he just realized that punching other heroes in the face on the street wasn't gonna change the law.

• Like 1

That's it.  Cap never thought that he was wrong (he wasn't, the way the story was presented, regardless of the intent of the writers).  He realized that how he was fighting it was wrong, and needed to stop.  

I'll buy movie Civil War if its really built on the Oversight Committe Scene from WS where Nat cavaleirly gives no fucks about what just happened, and that Tony goes all "We fucked up, we need to be held accountable" after Ultron and spearheads making the Avengers answer to someone instead of being Gods in judgement.

• Like 2

Yeah, my take on Civil War was that Cap still thought he was in the right, but realized that the way he could fight for his ideals would never succeed and the cost of "punching other superheroes in the face" would ultimately be too high.

civil-war-fl-11.jpg

Here's the infamous MySpace and NASCAR questions.

Oh lord. 

**1) I never used Myspace and barely know what it is/was.  Social media site similar to Facebook?  I don't use Facebook or Twitter either

**2) I don't remember who won the Series last year.  I couldn't name a winner on American Idol (did Carrie Underwood win?  Was Carrie Underwood actually on Idol, or do I just think she might have been?)

**3) I've never watched a Nascar race on TV, much less in person.  I could name maybe six auto racers and I'm not sure which of those race Nascar and which race in some other league.

**4) I have watched the Simpsons recently, and I watch videos on Youtube fairly regularly (though I wouldn't miss most of them if I didn't see them).

I'm sad to learn I'm not socially relevant either.  On the other hand, those are pretty arbitrary criteria for relevance.  Pretty sure there are a lot of people walking around who are more culturally relevant than I am and would answer no to all those questions.  On the other hand, her view that Cap was out of step with the times and not the best source to model cultural attitudes isn't wrong.  Cap can live as he wants, but shouldn't expect the rest of the world to live like it's still 1940.

I really liked Paul Jenkins as a writer.  His run on Hellbalzer was great.  His Inhumans series was outstanding.  A lot of his work on Spider Man books was solid.  Hell, the Sentry mini was rather great.  He then did the James Robinson thing where he stayed too long in the medium and lost interest or something.  Seemed like his work declined sharply after a certain point.

I never read the Civil War books, but on paper, I thought the premise was a very interesting idea.    Government registration, civil liberties/big brother/privacy, superheroes vs. superheroes over ideals, etc.  Everyone would always tell me the execution was very flawed.   But On Paper...

• Like 1

Joss being out after Avengers 2 isn't new. He's mentioned it before they even started shooting.

Joss has never confirmed that he wasn't doing A3. He's hemmed and hawed about his participation in the franchise in the way that directors who don't have a contract do ("Oh, it's such an arduous process making these big movies, " and "I'd Ilike to do some smaller films," and the like), but inevitably, the brinks truck is backed up, the dollars are paid, and there they are in the chair for the sequel.

Although I do see where there was a smidge of smoke about Whedon being out in favor of James Gunn back in July. So it seems Marvel has been looking to dump him for a while, they just hadn't figured out for whom.

Suddenly, this picture seems more resonant.

5383a00e9f1b77a839307c85_whedon-cornetto

Ah, I see what you're saying. But I still don't think he was overtly making it about himself. A lot of people came out in support of Edgar after all that shit went down.

I'm just saying that, in retrospect, you can probably read a bit more into it.

My main concern now is that this shit seems all over the place. In no particular order, the Marvel Movie U seems to be dealing with any of these as the main threats:

• Loki
  • Thanos
  • Ultron
  • Hydra
  • The dissolving of SHIELD
  • Civil War
  • Winter Soldier
  • The Infinity Gauntlet

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some. It feels like things have become really unfocused. Then you factor in other shit like rumors that Mandarin may indeed return and Trev is actually Mandarin, among other things. It's like, things would have been GREAT if they just fucking focused on the Infinity Gauntlet. We started out with Iron Man introducing the Avengers Initiative, leading to recruiting Hulk, Cap and Thor. Along the way, hints started dropping about Infinity Stones and especially so with Thor and Loki. Avengers happened and it exposed the world to aliens and the focus became Thanos as the mega big bad and presumably, the Infinity Gauntlet. Iron Man 3, for it's faults, actually seemed like a good follow up because it dealt with some of the fallout from the Avengers while providing Tony with a new adventure that didn't feel like it would become the focus of the Marvel Movie U.

Then along came Cap 2. Cap 2 was awesome, but you think about what that movie sets up and you just scratch your head. All of a sudden, we went from Thanos and everything the Avengers setup, to dissolving SHIELD, exposing Hyrda as the seemingly big bad, introducing Winter Soldier as a nemesis and then hinting at Hydra using an Infinity Stone and manipulating whatever the Marvel Movie U is going to call mutants.

And finally you have Avengers 2 using the Age of Ultron story while Cap 3 appears to setup Civil War. Like, what the fuck is happening for christ's sake? That's another reason why I loved Guardians of the Galaxy because it went back to what was most exciting: Getting the greatest heroes in the universe together to fight one common foe who is greater than all others. There was no Hyrda, no Ultron, no motherfucking Civil War. There was just, hey, this Thanos guy is the king motherfucker and he will destroy everybody, so stop fucking around and start fighting.