DVDVR Message Board

Doing it does make sense, of course.  It was massively successful, and, although it's old hat to comic readers (and was decades before Civil War was published) superheroes fighting each other is still relatively new to movies (there's the one scene in Avengers, and, of course, Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of the Incredibly Stupid Subtitle will be out a couple months before Cap 3) and could prove to be a big selling point.

BTW, this may very well change the equation between Cap 3 and BvS.  Downey as Stark is a whole different level of draw.

He has one more film after it on his Marvel contract (presumably Avengers 3, although recent rumors are they might try to spread out those expiring deals and not put everyone in the third Avengers, so they can bring them back for a different movie instead.)

• Like 1

So, yeah.  Its starting to reported all over that Downey is in Cap 3, co-starring, and it looks like Cap 3 on is heading toward Civil War.

But one of the possible storylines (Stark realizing that this no accountability shit is wrong) might get me on his side.

I feel like the bigger news buried underneath the Downey news is the tidbit that Joss is probably out after AVENGERS 2 and the Russos are taking over. He must've tried to assert a hair too much individuality on A2. Delivering the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time doesn't give you carte blanche to just make whatever kinda movie you wanna make, mister!

• Like 2

I was kind of hoping Gunn would get the coveted director's chair on A3 if Joss stepped aside but I can live with the Russos. I suppose if they're doing Civil War instead of Infinity Gauntlet - which isn't what they've been building towards since Avengers? So is the Gauntlet moved to A4 now? I confused... - the Russos would be a better choice given how well Winter Soldier turned out.

And, hey, if this frees up Joss to write and direct the franchise he was born to launch - Black Widow and Hawkeye - all the better.

The Civil War news just feels off. They have been building to Infinity Gauntlet in the various movies, and I recall Feige himself not seemingly being too high on Civil War. It also interrupts the story with Bucky. It weird for them to be changing their direction so much this far in.

I enjoyed the comics version of Civil War well enough - admittedly, I didn't read any of the tie-ins, just the main book - but I don't really see how they do it in a 2-hr movie without simplifying it greatly.  I can't see being much interested in Civil War or Cap vs. Iron Man, particularly since I didn't enjoy Winter Soldier all that much.  I thought the Shield/Hydra stuff was fairly hackneyed (Fury attacked after he tells one person and one person only his suspicions, new character introduced seemingly just for the purpose of turning evil 5 min later, 6 people taking down a well-armed & highly trained militia force, weapons being defused/reprogrammed at literally last possible second, etc). 

I enjoyed the Bucky parts in Winter Soldier, felt like I'd seen the Shield parts way too many times before.  That's my initial impression towards Civil War.  Cap and Iron Man will probably be fairly well matched in a fight.  If they're still on opposing sides at the end of the movie, it's only to set up Marvel's next movie. Eventually, they work out their disagreements.  The comics version of Cap and IM are generally fairly far apart philosophically (Illumanati and all), but Marvel's resisted making Tony too heelish.  They certainly aren't going to make any character changes in the movies that would alter said character's ability to anchor a summer blockbuster.  Things will kinda work out at the end of one of the movies, if not Cap 3.

Someone on my Facebook pointed out that the movie version of Civil War could divide superheroes, creating tension with regards to how anyone is going to stop Thanos when it comes to A3. Then, of course, Earth's Mightiest Heroes are united in A3 when Thanos comes stomping in.

Personally, I'd like to see Star-Lord and the rest of the Guardians come along and say, "Hey dipshits, we're aliens and misfits, and we've fought Thanos while you guys are having a pissing match about a dumb registry. Get your shit together and fight, or we're all going to get stomped out."

Actually, that settles it. I want Peter Quill leading everything, but that's just me thinking Chris Pratt is the shit.

I remember when Civil War was happening, a lot of people wanted/expected nearly that exact same scenario in the comics, except with Nova in the lead, and the Annihilation Wave instead of Thanos.

I take it that didn't happen?

No, instead we learned that Captain America doesn't have a MySpace and can't name any NASCAR drivers, so he was actually the villain.

Oh fuck that terrible fucking comic book.

I take it that didn't happen?

No, instead we learned that Captain America doesn't have a MySpace and can't name any NASCAR drivers, so he was actually the villain.

Oh fuck that terrible fucking comic book.

Woah...what? I'm going to feel gross for typing this out, but...

ELI5?