DVDVR Message Board

I sort of get what Moore is saying, but the fact of the matter is that comic book movies are taking over the action/scifi genre because they're all stories that the general audience is familiar with on some sort of level. Even if you've never read a Spider-man comic, you probably know the gist of it. The only reason this has begun over the past 10-15 years or so is that special effects have become detailed enough to make the fantasy elements visually plausible, wasn't possible before the 1990s.

Also, I have a great idea. Lets cast Kat Dennings and then have her run around in a huge winter jacket the entire film.

They were in London, man.  Everytime I was there on business I always wore a heavy coat even during the Spring.

Also, I have a great idea. Lets cast Kat Dennings and then have her run around in a huge winter jacket the entire film.

They were in London, man.  Everytime I was there on business I always wore a heavy coat even during the Spring.

Sometimes, you have to sacrifice for the sake of your art...

..or people seeing your giant cans. One or the other.

I sort of get what Moore is saying, but the fact of the matter is that comic book movies are taking over the action/scifi genre because they're all stories that the general audience is familiar with on some sort of level. Even if you've never read a Spider-man comic, you probably know the gist of it. The only reason this has begun over the past 10-15 years or so is that special effects have become detailed enough to make the fantasy elements visually plausible, wasn't possible before the 1990s.

Moore is indicting society and accusing it of refusing to grow up. 

One the one hand, I agree in spirit. 

On the other hand, the wording in his argument makes him sound like a kid who is jealous of the kid across the street who has better toys that he does.

There's also the irony found in the guy who wrote From Hell telling me that comics are designed with children in mind as the primary audience..

I don't think it's any more bizarre for a typical 45 year old male to be buying a $15 ticket for The Avengers versus Avatar or Star Wars. Comic book movies are replacing the "original" scifi flicks because there's already the general level of familarity with them, which audiences love (less to think about).

Now, if these typical 45 year old males were just starting their "graphic novel" collection, I think Moore would be spot on.

I think there are some things Moore said that I agree with, specifically that most kids and teenaged boys aren't reading comics anymore.

However, the way it all came out was dumb as shit.  I would hope he's not so obtuse that he realizes that lots of little kids like to see these movies too.  I also find it hard to believe he's not read any superhero stories since Watchmen either considering he's written superhero comics since Watchmen as well.  

I don't think it's any more bizarre for a typical 45 year old male to be buying a $15 ticket for The Avengers versus Avatar or Star Wars. Comic book movies are replacing the "original" scifi flicks because there's already the general level of familarity with them, which audiences love (less to think about).

There's always money to be made in nostalgia and we've inherited a lazy Hollywood that has found it easier and more profitable to recycle other people's stories from alternate media like comics and video games rather than coming up with its own stories..

I can't decide if I am saddened that we are just giving our ability of mental visualization away to comics and video games since it seems like any story told to us must be accompanied by pictures or some graphic element, or if I am happy that we're finally abandoning antequated ideas of linear entertainment.

Like Victator, I also find it easily to dismiss Moore's comments as the ramblings of a grumpy old man angry with an industry that has left him behind.  He is the sage eagerly waiting to give advice and sitting on top of a mountain that no one bothers to climb.

He's right. I find it equally alarming people are still enjoying Shakespeare. Ideas and concepts meant to entertain early 17th century minds. Madness I say.

If it was anyone else I'd be all ARE YOU EQUATING OTHELLO WITH CAPTAIN AMERICA YOU MAD MAN HOW DARE YOU

I am not but it's the same premise. Good characters and stories are timeless. I think Moore's a guy who's heard what a genius he is about a thousand times to many. Plus he's old. That quote may has well have ended with "Now get off my lawn!"

• Like 1

Yeah, but Othello wasn't written for children. That's the issue Moore is addressing,

I kinda want to hear Moore discuss which of his comics were written for 10-13 year olds?  Swamp Thing?  V for Vendetta?  Watchmen?  Miracleman?

I understand Moore's point, though I don't really think that the maturation of the audience is a bad thing, in and of itself.  Not attracting younger readers in any numbers is, but that's not exactly his complaint.  Moore was one of the biggest influences in transitioning comics from a gentler golden-age sensibility to the more adult mindset, 

Well, it's important to keep in mind he's talking specifically about superhero comics, not comics as an art form in its entirety.

I think it's a tough subject for him, because he intended Watchmen to be a shovelful of dirt on the coffin of superheroes, but in the end, it actually gave superheroes a second life, as just about everything but the POINT was co-opted and appropriated into the mainstream under the auspice of "maturity," ultimately leading to the situation he describes in that interview.

Moore just comes across as full of shit. What he means is "These are worthless since I decided not to write him."

I don't know if any of you have heard him talk about Killing Joke. But he says (paraphrased) that it is a piece of shit but still better than any other Batman story. 

I enjoy most of his stories, but as a personality fuck him. 

And fuck this mentality that Watchmen was the only worthwhile super hero comic in the eighties. There were a lot of great runs in the 80's and a lot of them were not allowed to use the "mature" shortcuts Moore used. 

• Like 1

Official confirmation on something we already knew:

It has been an open secret for some time now, but Marvel has finally given official confirmation that Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen have been cast in The Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

The duo will play brother and sister double-act Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who will join Iron Man, Hulk and co. for their second big-screen outing.

In the comic books, the pair are the children of Magneto, although given the rights issues that exist between Marvel and Fox, that backstory will be glossed over here.

Power-wise, Quicksilver is (surprise surprise) superhumanly fast, while Scarlet Witch possesses the ability to control probability and cast various spells. We imagine they’ll fit in just fine…

Directed by Joss Whedon and co-starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans, The Avengers: Age Of Ultron will open in the UK on 1 May 2015.

Credit: totalfilm.com