DVDVR Message Board

Offline for a couple of hours to get my internet upgraded and Thor: The Dark World's gone from 74% to 66% with 102 fresh reviews and 52 rotten reviews. If it stays like that, it's the lowest ranked Marvel Studios film. Superhero movie fatigue?

Alright nerds fantasy cast these Netflix shows. It's gonna be real interesting who they get for Daredevil. It's a great part that could lead to a movie down the line. I saw someone, somewhere mention Michael C. Hall (Dexter) is that going big for that role?

I really hope for Iron Fist they just adapt the Fraction/Brubaker stuff.

My ideal Power Man and Iron Fist would be Terry Crews and Sean Kanan(y'know...Mike Barnes from Karate Kid III).

Karate's Bad Boy!

Actually, he returned about a year ago to General Hospital (he started there before he did KKIII - man, second GH reference this week) and if his few brief shirtless scenes are any indication, he'd have A LOT of work to do to get into Iron Fist shape. I think Crews would be okay if they paired him with a younger Iron Fist. I don't see Marvel casting two guys closing in on 50 in an action-adventure series, though.

I hold out hope the Rock will play Luke Cage. Assuming Netflix/ABC adheres to a standard TV production schedule (one ep = about 1 week of filming), a thirteen week commitment is about the same as committing to one movie. Surely he could fit that in his schedule somewhere.

I think they're going to follow the movie formula when it comes to casting. DD is the most well-known, so he'll probably be a TV version of RDJR. As mentioned, Michael C. Hall has been thrown around A LOT on comic geek sites and I have to admit, he'd be a real awesome choice.

Problem is, he's also kinda old so they'll have to his origin in Dexter-style flashbacks which would be dangerously close to the Affleck movie. Unless they do like they did with Norton-Hulk and assume everybody saw the other movie and they don't need to redo the origin. 

I think they're going to follow the movie formula when it comes to casting. DD is the most well-known, so he'll probably be a TV version of RDJR. I've seen Michael C. Hall thrown around a lot on comic geek sites and have to admit, he'd be a real interesting choice. Problem is, he's also kinda old so they'll have to his origin in Dexter-style flashbacks which would be dangerously close to the Affleck movie. Unless they do like they did with Norton-Hulk and assume everybody saw the other movie and they don't need to redo the origin. 

I can see them retelling Daredevil's origin with the time between his film and TV show. The Incredible Hulk's origin is more well known.

THOR 2 was a fine movie, better than IM2, better than the Norton Hulk, I'd say even with THOR, but waver if it's above or below.

If 2013 has taught me one thing about Marvel movies, it's that waiting for the final post-credit scene is no longer worth your time.

MId-credits was neat though, even if it looked like something out of STAR TREK '66.

Offline for a couple of hours to get my internet upgraded and Thor: The Dark World's gone from 74% to 66% with 102 fresh reviews and 52 rotten reviews. If it stays like that, it's the lowest ranked Marvel Studios film. Superhero movie fatigue?

I really don't get it at all because the film is easily better and more satisfying than Thor and Iron Man 3 for that matter.  I mean granted, critics are generally enthralled by Robert Downey Jr and his kooky performance as Tony Stark.  It's not wildly incoherent and insane like a Michael Bay film.  

My only problems with it were like too much Darcy compared to other characters, and I do feel like some good story chunks were cut out to keep the movie under two hours.  I mean if you look at Cap: TFA, they didn't really appear to cut out anything really interesting.  

I'm really excited about the Netflix shows, though I doubt I'm going to get a subscription in order to watch them.  I'll probably wait for the DVD sets instead.  But doing a TV to reintroduce Daredevil is a perfect idea.  I think all these characters are best suited for a TV drama format because they are street level heroes and that works best for a one-hour drama/procedural style format.  Iron Fist is one of my favorite characters, so I'm excited to see who will finally play him.  

If we could see other SHIELD characters or Fury and Coulson show up and put these guys on their "index," that would be pretty cool.  

This is just personally my idea, but after they do the initial seasons and first Defenders miniseries event, they should smoosh Cage, Fist, and Jessica Jones and make them the Heroes for Hire.  Considering Jones and Cage eventually hook up and get married and have a kid and Cage and Fist are best friends, it makes sense.

Which speaks more for the quality of the slate of films Marvel puts out than anything bad about this flick.

You really think that?
Absolutely. And it shouldn't surprise you. You're the only one not on the Marvel train.

Normal people don't have the boner for it that you guys do, if you talk to anyone who isn't all COMIC BOOKS ARE GRAPHIC NOVELS, they generally find the movies poor to decent, minus Iron Man and The Avengers. Iron Man 3 is the beginning of the end IMO.

Which speaks more for the quality of the slate of films Marvel puts out than anything bad about this flick.

You really think that?
Absolutely. And it shouldn't surprise you. You're the only one not on the Marvel train.

Normal people don't have the boner for it that you guys do, if you talk to anyone who isn't all COMIC BOOKS ARE GRAPHIC NOVELS, they generally find the movies poor to decent, minus Iron Man and The Avengers. Iron Man 3 is the beginning of the end IMO.

Thor 2 is going to make probably $90-100 million this weekend, so I'd say you are wrong.  It's easily going to surpass the first movie's take.  Considering before Thor came out, he was pretty much a B/C list character and his first movie made $450 million worldwide, that's pretty impressive.

You really think that?

Thor 2 is going to make probably $90-100 million this weekend, so I'd say you are wrong.  It's easily going to surpass the first movie's take.  Considering before Thor came out, he was pretty much a B/C list character and his first movie made $450 million worldwide, that's pretty impressive.

Beginning of the end. The more people see these poor sequels, the more they won't watch the follow ups. You think people saw Iron Man 3 and thought "I want more of that"?

You really think that?

Beginning of the end. The more people see these poor sequels, the more they won't watch the follow ups. You think people saw Iron Man 3 and thought "I want more of that"?

Considering it's week to week performances, audience ratings, reviews, home video sales, I'd say the answer is yes.  The fact is "normal people" enjoy these movies as entertainment.  Kids and families especially also love these movies.  

You really think that?
I like you, but you're just wrong.Ironically, Iron Man 3 was hated by the people you're talking about and beloved by the general public. Because it was an awesome movie.

I just re-watched it last night and still loved it. If you don't think you're in the minority on this (especially with the general public not knowing who the fuck the Mandarin in), you're crazy.

I don't know anyone who liked it. If we extrapolate that out across the entire planet, that means that out of 6 billion people, nobody liked the movie.