DVDVR Message Board

I now want to see people shot at by a bear.

Ursa Major is your huckleberry then.  The downside of the Winter Guard are they're too F/X heavy for AoS, but too C-List for an actual movie.

They'd really be perfect for AoS if not for the were-bear and crimson dynamo.  Maybe a cryogenically frozen form off the team needing to fit in with the rest of the world post-cold war?

Assuming the "modern era" is defined as 2000+ (were there any Marvel films released in the 1990s, not counting that Fantastic Four and MiB?), there's no point in a Marvel vs. DC argument, as the majority of Marvel's cast of heroes have all had at least one film (5 X-Men, 4 Spiderman, 3 Iron Man, 2 Hulk, 2 Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, Avengers) whereas only Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern have had releases. It's not a fair comparison. TDK trilogy is all sorts of greatness, but Green Lantern was garbage. And as for Man of Steel, well, the military-genius villain of the film gets punked out by the hero's pencil pushing father during physical combat 10 minutes in. Fuck Man of Steel.

I'll also echo the Captain America/Mandarin jingoistic arguments. They're both characters that simply don't work in the year 2013. Cap is a glorified gymnast with  nationalistic attire. As someone else said, drape him in the Union Jack, it's still a stupid superhero shtick. How the Mandarin was handled in Iron Man 3 was 50 shades of awesome. If you're going to use an anachronistic character, THAT'S the way to do it. 

Just because you don't know how to make Cap work doesn't mean that he can't work. Especially when you harp on FSW's argument when he knows fuck-all about the character beyond his fucking superhero suit.

• Like 1

And my extensive knowledge of WWII jingoism re America.

I don't think you know what Jingoism means. Having pride in your country is not Jingoism, actively hating Foreigners for being foreign is. .Which Cap is not about and has really never been about. Unless you think the poor Imperial Japanese and Nazi Germany are simply misunderstood. 

Posted Image

Captain America isn't impressed ; ).

I really like the Super-Soldier suit. I'm guessing Captain America might get a new traditional suit in Avengers: Age of Ultron. I hope it's a mixture of the Captain America suit in Captain America: The First Avenger and this one.

• Like 1

Post 9/11/Ultimate Cap has been pretty Jingoistic, which is totally wrong for the character.  Pre-9/11 Cap is altruistic, often times at odds with the US government/public zeitgeist.  Simon/Kirby got numerous death threats for their Captain America (Comics) #1 cover, with Cap punching Hitler after all.

There's always the retrofit First Avenger suit that appears in Winter Soldier (Is Cap so disillusioned with S.H.I.E.L.D. that he won't even wear the costume they manufactured?)

That or using it to remind the Winter Soldier who he really is.

• Like 1