DVDVR Message Board

I don't understand how some middling superhero movies, mixed with some outright bad ones, and then a pretty good ensemble piece trumps the Batman trilogy. I can't even understand how anyone would think "Thor is definitely what I want to watch, fuck Batman Begins"

Because The Dark Knight is overrated, Dark Knight Rises isn't very good, and Man of Steel is 90 minutes of decent but then goes on another hour.
What you're saying has largely nothing to do with what I said, BUT the fact people have said TDK is the best movie ever and nobody has ever said that about a Marvel film is pretty much exactly what I'm saying.Marvel aren't in the same league as DC.

Ignoring all the random films they make that are based on comics no ones heard of that happen to be owned by DC or Marvel. I'd say Marvel are more consistent just because of the amount they put out but its pretty close at the top.Unless i'm forgetting any recent films, if DC hadn't put out Green Lantern their average quality would be much higher than Marvels.

I presume Men in Black does t count as a Marvel film, even though its based on a comic book owned by Marvel.
I liked Men In Black, haven't seen the newest one yet but had anyone heard of it before it was a film? that's the sort of film that 95% of the people who go to watch it have no idea its based on a comic. Same as things like Red and The Losers.
That used to be my go to trivia question: name the highest grossing Marvel Comics movie.

Just had a look on Boxoffice Mojo, i had no idea it took that much money, that, its sequel, and 300 are the only 2 non big name superhero films that crack the top 20 highest grossing comic book movies. Its a good film but that's gotta be down to Will Smith right? Millions aren't flocking to see that because of a 10 issue comic book from the 90s (i had to Google that)

People who think Cap was a bad movie are brain dead. "MOAR BLACK RUBBER!!!!"

Well Argued. Maybe its because i'm not American and don't go for the whole 'USA USA' thing and superhero costumes can be hard to take seriously on film anyway but a guy dressed up as a flag just looked ridiculous. That and it wasn't a very good World War 2 film that wasn't even really WW2. It was just kind of boring and goofy looking even for a superhero film. Captain America and Iron Man 3 are the only Marvel films I've had no desire to watch a second time. The trailer for the sequel looks awesome though.

Oh foreign inferiority complex? 

Or a World War II movie that isn't a top fifty World War II movie and isn't a top ten superhero movie fails utterly at whatever it wanted to be? 

1. Says nothing about it on its own merits. 2. It is actually at the very worst number 2.  

People who think Cap was a bad movie are brain dead. "MOAR BLACK RUBBER!!!!"

Well Argued. Maybe its because i'm not American and don't go for the whole 'USA USA' thing and superhero costumes can be hard to take seriously on film anyway but a guy dressed up as a flag just looked ridiculous. That and it wasn't a very good World War 2 film that wasn't even really WW2. It was just kind of boring and goofy looking even for a superhero film. Captain America and Iron Man 3 are the only Marvel films I've had no desire to watch a second time. The trailer for the sequel looks awesome though.
The reason i personally liked Cap was the low-key tone of the picture. I'd also like to think it's part of the same Joe Johnston film universe that contains the Rocketeer.I do agree the movie suffers from too much Hydra and not enough actual Nazis

Oh foreign inferiority complex?

Must be it. Stick a Union Jack on the guy and he looks just as out of place. My point is Captain America is probably more easy to accept in America, there is a connection there that will be lost on the rest of the world. Aside from The Incredible Hulk which didn't do that great anywhere it took the least in foreign money too. I have no doubt the sequel will take all the money at the box office like Iron Man 3 did and hopefully Thor will since they will be riding the success of The Avengers now. But your not going to change my mind on a film when your arguments for it being good are 'moar black rubber' and 'foreign inferiority complex'

Here's a ranking of some of the more current superhero movies by Rotten Tomatoes rating:

Dark Knight (94)

Spiderman 2 (94)

Iron Man (93)

Avengers (92)

Spiderman (89)

Dark Knight Rises (88)

X-Men 2 (87)

X-Men First Class (87)

Batman Begins (85)

X-Men (82)

Captain America (79)

Iron Man 3 (79)

Thor (77)

Superman Returns (76)

Iron Man 2 (73)

Amazing Spiderman (73)

Wolverine (69)

Incredible Hulk (67)

Spiderman 3 (63)

Hulk (62)

X-Men 3 (57)

Man of Steel (56)

Marvel Origins: Wolverine (38)

Fantastic Four 2 (37)

Fantastic Four (27)

Green Lantern (26)

So far none of Marvel's films have gone down for me upon rewatching (IM2 and Captain America actually went up for me). On the average I think Marvel has done a better job with their films in terms of creating a large world they can all exist in and showing various characters along with hitting general success at the box office. Quality wise TDK and TDKR are the only DC films I would over Marvel's films. Batman Begins is about on even ground, maybe a little higher, little lower in some cases. I liked Man of Steel, but didn't think it was a particularly great film at all. Green Lantern was kind of bad. I'm one of the few here who really liked iron Man 3 and didn't think it was anything approaching bad.

Honestly the only people saying Cap sucks are people with horrible standards - You, Gonz, some jackbolt who just registered, and whomever replies to this saying "Why yes indeed, I too hate Captain America becuz he'z not kewl"

People like different things, so you can go have your sociopaths in the DC universe and we'll keep our upbeat heroes doing things because it's the right thing to do

• Like 1

Honestly the only people saying Cap sucks are people with horrible standards - You, Gonz, some jackbolt who just registered, and whomever replies to this saying "Why yes indeed, I too hate Captain America becuz he'z not kewl"

People like different things, so you can go have your sociopaths in the DC universe and we'll keep our upbeat heroes doing things because it's the right thing to do

Assuming i'm the 'jackbolt' whatever that is, i didn't just register, I've been here since 2002 or 3 maybe? i forget, i just haven't really posted much on the last 2 incarnations of the board, and didn't really post that much before to be fair. Anyway, if i'm not Mr Jackbolt and I've been entirely forgotten in that comment than my feelings are even more hurt.

Back on topic and the Rotten Tomatoes ratings list. I could see how people could make arguments for any of those films being in those positions except Man Of Steel being so low? i know some people didn't like it and it wasn't the superman they wanted but its not that bad even if you don't enjoy it for what it is. Another film i could do with a re-watch of is Spiderman 2, i don't think I've actually seen it since it was in the cinema.

Cap is *NOT* Bella Swan.

No, she actually did something hurtful to another person because she wanted something different. Whereas Cap is this weird mascot for the Republican moral ideal.
We're not talking about the terrible "Ultimate" version, lad.
  • Like 1