DVDVR Message Board

I'm shocked that there isn't an Arrow thread.

The first season was decent, but I've loved the second season.

I wouldn't mind an update to the costume. I've never been a really big fan of what they've been using. Time for something better.

I've always been a DC fan over Marvel when it comes to comics, but in no way, shape or form is Marvel not ahead in the film department.  Beyond the Nolan Batman films, nothing DC puts out compares to the worst Marvel movie.  The only excepting being MOS and Iron Man 3, they are perfectly comparable in the shit department.  Otherwise, even the lesser Marvel movies are at least fun.  When was the last time a DC movie had any fun whatsoever? 

The Nolan movies were fun action with a dramatic tone. I'm sorry that your definition of fun might be stupid Joss Whedon snarky characters that from the looks of it fans are growing tired of with Agents.  

And DC tried that snarky character shit, and they ended up with Green Lantern.

It's so bizarre that DC/WB tends to do their shows well (animated DCU, Smallville, and people seem to like Arrow) and can't get a proper movie franchise off the ground, while Marvel is crushing movies and can't figure out TV.

Ideally it would be great if DC/WB and Marvel could do both films and TV/animation well. My second preference is what's happening, DC are terrific when it comes to animation compared to Marvel while Marvel with Marvel Studios are better at getting more of their heroes films and have more consistency to DC's outside of Batman. I don't think Marvel Studios has done a bad film. Marvel Studios hasn't yet had a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes.

I like more Marvel superheroes compared to DC. However DC has THE greatest hero, Batman. I'd like both DC and Marvel films to do well particulary when they have a film or films which deserve to. Iron Man and Avengers Assemble are two of the best comic book films of all time but give me Batman Begins and The Dark Knight over both. The Dark Knight is the best live action comic book film followed by Batman Begins.

Edited by The Natural

The Nolan movies were fun action with a dramatic tone. I'm sorry that your definition of fun might be stupid Joss Whedon snarky characters that from the looks of it fans are growing tired of with Agents.  

And DC tried that snarky character shit, and they ended up with Green Lantern.

Actually, I loved Avengers in spite of Whedon.  I seriously hate all of his other work.  Also I count the Nolan Batman films among my all time favorites, but "fun" isn't what comes to mind when I think of the tone.  When I think of fun, I think of Iron Man 1&2, Avengers or the Donner Superman movies.  I could do without all the snark, mostly but some movies need a fun tone, and others need to be serious.

I hope no one ever says that lol.  Someone once said it like this, Marvel films are a trip to Five Guys, and the Nolan Batman movies are a Brazilian steakhouse.  You can love both, but you're not going to say Five Guys is better, but you'll still have a damn good time.

Marvel is consistently better at movies than DC. 

Since 2000:29 Marvel movies released, 8 have been pretty terrible (which 8 are arguable)

14 DC movies, 10 of which are utter shite (not including V for Vendetta and RED, which are also arguable)

Simple math(s) really.  DC has at best a 28% success rate, Marvel's is 72%

Ignoring all the random films they make that are based on comics no ones heard of that happen to be owned by DC or Marvel. I'd say Marvel are more consistent just because of the amount they put out but its pretty close at the top. The only 2 great Marvel films are Ironman 1 and The Avengers. Anything else is good (Thor) to bad (Captain America) to terrible (Ironman 3). Whats DC put out based on actual characters people know of in the same time period that Marvel found the winning formula to movies? The Nolan trilogy, Man of Steel and Green Lantern are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head. I'd put The Dark Knight above anything Marvels done and rank Begins and Rises up there with the best. Man of Steel above any of the mid level Marvel films then Green Lantern down there with the ones at the bottom.

Unless i'm forgetting any recent films, if DC hadn't put out Green Lantern their average quality would be much higher than Marvels.

Yeah that would be my take. Marvels films are fluffy shallow puff movies. Perfectly acceptable, but nothing you ever need to see twice. Avengers was a great final act for those films, although lacked any real emotional punch. The Batmans work alone or as a trilogy and are all very good. Or better than very good.

I loved Man of Steel too, but I'm willing to accept people who didn't like some of the flaws it had. It was also roughly twenty times more ambitious than the first round of Marvel films (minus Avengers). And twenty times more impressive.

Maybe I just really hate Man of Steel, but I'd be hard pressed to put it over even bottom rung Marvel movies.  If we're just considering "modern era" comic films.  It's in the same group as Iron Man 3 for me.  With that said, none of them are on part with the Batman stuff.

Yeah i like Hulk and the 2nd Iron Man films more than most but I cant put Man of Steel behind those. I don't want to turn this into a list mania thread but what are we counting as 'modern era'? From the 2000 X-Men film? Or the start of Nolans films and Marvels series? i'd say either of those 2 would count since the X-Men series is still going and Nolan and Marvel proved comic book films could actually make money.

I don't understand how some middling superhero movies, mixed with some outright bad ones, and then a pretty good ensemble piece trumps the Batman trilogy. I can't even understand how anyone would think "Thor is definitely what I want to watch, fuck Batman Begins"

Because The Dark Knight is overrated, Dark Knight Rises isn't very good, and Man of Steel is 90 minutes of decent but then goes on another hour.

Ignoring all the random films they make that are based on comics no ones heard of that happen to be owned by DC or Marvel. I'd say Marvel are more consistent just because of the amount they put out but its pretty close at the top. Unless i'm forgetting any recent films, if DC hadn't put out Green Lantern their average quality would be much higher than Marvels.

I presume Men in Black does t count as a Marvel film, even though its based on a comic book owned by Marvel.

Ignoring all the random films they make that are based on comics no ones heard of that happen to be owned by DC or Marvel. I'd say Marvel are more consistent just because of the amount they put out but its pretty close at the top.Unless i'm forgetting any recent films, if DC hadn't put out Green Lantern their average quality would be much higher than Marvels.

I presume Men in Black does t count as a Marvel film, even though its based on a comic book owned by Marvel.

I liked Men In Black, haven't seen the newest one yet but had anyone heard of it before it was a film? that's the sort of film that 95% of the people who go to watch it have no idea its based on a comic. Same as things like Red and The Losers. 

Man, I don't want to start some shit but FSW is dead on with this:

Yeah that would be my take. Marvels films are fluffy shallow puff movies. Perfectly acceptable, but nothing you ever need to see twice.

Literally every Marvel movie, with the exception of the first Iron Man, gets worse the more times you watch them. They are pure, disposable commercial product. Good commercial product, mind you, at least relative to most similar fare that Hollywood puts out, but once you get past the surface level entertainment of the first viewing, the emptiness just becomes more and more apparent.30 years from now, after Marvel has rebooted these franchises at least once and special effects are 1000% better than they are today, no one is going to care one iota about any of these movies.Conversely, 30 years from now, THE DARK KNIGHT is still going to be relevant because it actually chose to be about something, not just "stop the volcano people" or "defeat the aliens on jet skis" or "watch two fake computer images smash each other "
  • Like 2

Ignoring all the random films they make that are based on comics no ones heard of that happen to be owned by DC or Marvel. I'd say Marvel are more consistent just because of the amount they put out but its pretty close at the top.Unless i'm forgetting any recent films, if DC hadn't put out Green Lantern their average quality would be much higher than Marvels.

I liked Men In Black, haven't seen the newest one yet but had anyone heard of it before it was a film? that's the sort of film that 95% of the people who go to watch it have no idea its based on a comic. Same as things like Red and The Losers.
That used to be my go to trivia question: name the highest grossing Marvel Comics movie.