DVDVR Message Board

What I'd really like to know is if this is going to be a Scott or Hank movie.  Something tells me though that since Ultron is being created in Avengers before Ant-Man, it will be Scott Lang and Hank Pym will be like remnant of the past or something.

The rumor that's been floating around since Edgar Wright was first attached to the project, pre-Disney buyout, was that it would be based on "To Steal an Ant-Man" with Hank as a retired Cold War-era hero who successfully avoided the spotlight.  I'm not super thrilled with that option but I can understand it, and it could still make for a fun film.

Edited: I should say "one rumor" rather than "THE rumor."  Though Wright has certainly mentioned "To Steal an Ant-Man" on more than one occasion.

Apparently the Live + 3 Days numbers for SHIELD gives an increase of something like 50% which is unheard of and puts it over the top for the night.

Yeah I don't remember the link but I saw where if you factor in the +3 ratings (which account for DVRing and such) SHIELD would've pulled a 7.0 rating. Also, I was at New York Comicon on Friday and saw Lola so expect her to show up at the major cons going forward.As for Ant-man, Rudd would be an interesting choice. I was hoping they'd go with a sitcomy type actor who dabbled in movies like Jason Segal or NPH so Rudd sorta fits that bill. Anybody but JGL really. I know the kid is a good actor and has some excellent performances but honestly he kinda bores me. He reminds me of a less douchey, less over-exposed Shia actually.

I really think it's going to be Lang, but O'Grady is pretty much out of the question.   Not only was he way too repulsive a character to sink $75 million into for most of his run, the fact that they brought Scott back and almost immediately killed off Eric in the comics feels suspiciously like getting pieces on the board well in advance so that when the movie drops Scott will be the "established" Ant-Man again.

This is 40 might have been the most embarrassing movie I have ever seen.  What a giant piece of shit.

Really?  Of all the crappy movies over the years, why is This is 40 even on the list?  I thought the movie had it's problems #1 being it's length, but people love shitting on that movie.

This is 40 might have been the most embarrassing movie I have ever seen.  What a giant piece of shit.

Really?  Of all the crappy movies over the years, why is This is 40 even on the list?  I thought the movie had it's problems #1 being it's length, but people love shitting on that movie.

I don't know.  I hated that movie.  I was actually angry that I sat through it.  I found no redeeming quality at all.  Just one asshole's opinion.

I finally caught up on the 2nd and 3rd episodes of SHIELD. It's very alright, although it definitely comes across as offbrand Whedon, which is what I was afraid of. His brother and sister-in-law do a decent impression, but it is so obviously not the same thing.

Got a laugh out of Coulson going on a stealth infiltration mission in a business suit.

Hank Pym is my very, very favorite Marvel char. If you asked me to pick between him and the Wally West version of Flash for favorite siperhero, I would probably lose it. The thing I want most from the MCU is to see Hank, complete with bipolar disorder and massive inferiority complex, the way I see him aand to see fans embrace him.That will never, ever happen in a major motion picture. People say they want a complex hero, but that's not.what they mean. If we get Hank as a flawed mentor to Scott, I can handle that as long as he gets to be glorious in flashback and as long as they don't fuck up the comics version to match the film.

EDITS were exclusively to fix spelling errors, which were the result of me trying to type on a phone with fat sausage fingers after turning off autocorrect.

I would argue that the difference between "hit his wife once in the middle of a nervous breakdown, lost everything because of it, and got help and never did it again" and "beats his wife" is pretty huge.  Shit, Reed Richards has hit Sue more often than Hank hit Jan.

So, that was a pretty boring episode of Agents of SHIELD tonight. It really only advanced the story arc for Coulson's character and what may or may not have happened to him during the events of Avengers Assemble. Next week's episode looks like it has someone with Human Torch-like abilities.

If someone wrote down the plot to this week's SHIELD in a few sentences, I'd probably think it would be a decent episode.  Intriguing premise for the antagonist, some interesting action ideas with the x-ray vision, some opportunities for a pinch of character development... but it turned out pretty weak. 

Why did May go solo to get the eye girl?  Why did the eye girl track down the SHIELD van and run into it rather than just skedaddling?  I'm not sure how she knew where the van was, and until she got there, she had no idea if there would be a commando team or just three computer geeks.  Surely it's a better bet to just run.  It's cool that the nerd crew can invent x-ray glasses on a moment's notice (I have a funny feeling that at some point during a future episode I'll be saying "Maybe you should have brought your x-ray specs")  And why on earth would the people moving the diamonds put red masks on all their couriers?  It made for an interesting visual, but once you learned what the deal was, it seemed really stupid.

Beyond the logic gaps, it just never really clicked.  Most of the acting (outside of the geek squad) was "I am being stoic and impassive", which makes it tough to build excitement.  The eye girl never showed any emotion, and really neither did Coulson, May, or the dude.  Honestly, that might be a problem with the show overall -- the team is three stoics and three geeks.  Not much variation.

On the plus side, I liked "SEDUCE HIM".

It sucks that we can't have one Marvel universe. Last night when Skye started talking about people having powers now I was thinking and don't forget mutants.

This episode was kinda boring. I love the marvel movies but watching this weekly is quickly going to become a chore.

There were definitely logic gaps. I kind of like the weekly format, though a lot of that for me is how the most exciting element of the show is the Next Week Preview. I probably haven't been so into a show-for-the-sake-of-continuity (save for maybe Venture Brothers) since Lost. 

If someone wrote down the plot to this week's SHIELD in a few sentences, I'd probably think it would be a decent episode.  Intriguing premise for the antagonist, some interesting action ideas with the x-ray vision, some opportunities for a pinch of character development... but it turned out pretty weak. 

Beyond the logic gaps, it just never really clicked.  Most of the acting (outside of the geek squad) was "I am being stoic and impassive", which makes it tough to build excitement.  The eye girl never showed any emotion, and really neither did Coulson, May, or the dude.  Honestly, that might be a problem with the show overall -- the team is three stoics and three geeks.  Not much variation.

The biggest problem with this show is that the entire cast is essentially the same person.  They all are brunette white people(and one Asian) who either are spastic or stoic.  The second biggest issue is that the team seems like the worst possible collection of skill sets for covert ops missions.  Why do you need both Fitz and Simmons, other than the fact that you can call them Fitzsimmons?  How is it possible for Skye to be some sort of computer genius, but can't figure out the difference between the safety release and the clip release?  There is not a person alive who has ever had to be shown this twice.  No one without a severe brain injury is that dumb, let alone a person who is smart enough to hack into a crazy eye camera computer that she just found out existed.  Why have three members of a tactical, covert, paramilitary team who have absolutely zero ability to defend themselves?  The three supposedly smartest members of the team couldn't even start the van.  Are these people smart or are they dumb?

OK, things that worked...the opening was done really well.  The whole premise of the villian being controlled by remote from some sort of super advanced technology is really cool.  It also sets up another major villian going forward. I am of the opinion that heroes are only as good as their villians, so the more interesting villians they introduce the better the show will be.  So as of right now we have the Project Centipede people, Graviton, Quinn the evil scientist, AIM, possibly Hydra, and the eyeball camera people.  Isn't it about time to expand on some of those villians?  Did next week's preview show Skye getting caught being a double agent?  Seems a little early, it would be sad to see them do away with another character's story this quickly.  They already took all the mystery away from May, I hope we get more than a single scene of her playing both ends of the rope before they find out. 

• Like 1

Didn't Ultimate Hank Pym suck her up with a vacuum?

Which has zero to do with the real Hank Pym. And according to Jim Shooter, Hank was never suppose to slap Jan. It was scripted as he pushes her out of his way and the artist took it too far. Some writers decades later had to work out there daddy issues on Hank.