DVDVR Message Board

And yes, the Spider-Woman stuff is all wishful fanboy thinking - why wouldn't they just name her Jessica Drew?

They've also mentioned her shady background, and I believe Coulson insinuated that Skye wasn't her real name. The Director of SHIELD showed up specifically to express his concerns with her being brought close. My guess is that she doesn't know that they know she's a part of something worse than Rising Tide. 

Again, it's probably just wishful thinking, but Jessica came into SHIELD the same way- as a double agent for HYDRA. 

At the end of the second episode I had assumed Skye was working on some plan to infiltrate Shield on behalf of the Anonymous-esque group she's working for and that her struggling to come to the conclusion that Shield actually did have the world's best interests in mind and disregarding her mission of subterfuge would be a major plot point this season.  Her spiel to the bad guy last night, essentially telling him the truth, could have been construed by the rest of the team (if they even heard it) as her just working an angle to take him down.  That leaves open the possibility she's still trying to infiltrate Shield, or her other line to the bad guy at the end that Shield weren't bad after all could have been legit.  Hard to tell at this point.

Skye's loyalties aren't sewn up at all - she said "I'm in" to somebody, all this week revealed was that she's willing to go to great lengths to stay undercover.

The issue of Coulson being seen is just nitpicking - SHIELD was able to cover up what was essentially a natural disaster with Project Pegasus, why would it be at all difficult to take some civilian's phone and say "national security?"

And yes, the Spider-Woman stuff is all wishful fanboy thinking - why wouldn't they just name her Jessica Drew?

1) I see your point about Skye, and I imagine there will be more is-she-isn't-she with Rising Tide.  But after the tease they did with Quinn (which no viewers actually bought, I imagine), it doesn't seem like they can really go anywhere interesting with it.  Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong.  Heck, if it ends up she does a full heel turn, I'll gladly forgive what currently seems to be a bland story arc.  I guess they might have done the tease with Quinn so that the next time she does it, they can have her actually go for it and swerve the audience.  But that seems to be the only decent payoff.

2) While I did venture into the Coulson thing before, I tend to agree that there's probably not much to this.  Other than that first Coulson scene, have they talked about his existence being a secret?  It wouldn't surprise me if that level 6/7 thing was just a punchline for the scene, not intended to go any further.

3) Well, they did seem to indicate that she had erased her identity before, so maybe she is actually named Jessica Drew.

So we saw Graviton's origin here.  But SHIELD can't really fight Graviton later.  He's kind of too big of a threat for them.

They would need a team of Avengers to fight Graviton.

Also, Coulson had trouble with muscle memory in this episode.  Well Phil, that's cause you ain't got no muscles.

That doesn't mean the non-comic book fans had any idea what he was talking about or would even remember.

The definition of an offhand reference to the comics that would fly right over the heads of people that didn't read them.

It's not even the origin thing for Jessica Drew. It's her personality and basically everything about her. There's no overlap at all there. I could see Skye ending up as Jessica Jones/Jewel far more than I could see her ending up as Spider-Woman. 

It's not even the origin thing for Jessica Drew. It's her personality and basically everything about her. There's no overlap at all there. I could see Skye ending up as Jessica Jones/Jewel far more than I could see her ending up as Spider-Woman. 

I just want to see her in the Spider-woman outfit.  mmm...spandex.

They've already started. I'm headed to New York Comicon this weekend and was checking out the exclusive toys for sale and came across this (bottom of page):

http://tinyurl.com/kbaoupx

As for the 22 ep order, I have no idea why that's bad. It's an expensive show, so they save a couple bucks by doing 22 eps instead of 23. Then again, I never understood hate-watching a show. After a so-so pilot, I thought the last two eps were awesome.

Oh and Skye is totally Jessica Drew.

• Like 1

Oh, okay. It never occurred to me that was his complaint because it's on ABC, of course they're going to do 22 episodes. Might as well complain about the lack of nudity or absence of profanity.

Anyway, Alias and 24 did twenty plus episodes in a season-long arc, I see no reason why Shield can't pull it off.

I don't think anybody is surprised by the number, but it is too many for a show like this. I think the last 10-15 years of television have proven fairly conclusively that, when it comes to heavily serialized shows with unique mythologies, shorter seasons are better. It's taking a while for this idea to bleed over to the networks, but it's happening and will be the norm sooner than later.

FOX is leading the way - they're already doing 15-episode seasons of THE FOLLOWING and seem to be setting up SLEEPY HOLLOW for 13-episode seasons, not to mention the upcoming shorter season of 24 that will probably lead to more if it's a hit. NBC has gotten into the act, too, with HANNIBAL getting 13-episode runs.

SHIELD seems like a no-brianer for a shorter order of 15 or so episodes, and I imagine it will eventually turn into that in future seasons if the ratings keep dipping.

If this thread has taught me anything is that no matter what happens, we will all complain. 

I don't think this show has lived up to my expectations at all, but it's probabaly because I had unrealistic expectations on what a network version of a Marvel show with no super heroes would be.  I'm going to continue watching mostly because I want to yell in your face when Skye turns out to be Jessica Drew I'm hoping it will get better. I think that Shield is a tough thing to pull off on television, because without superheroes they don't really have anything to do. 

Is there another Marvel property that people thinks would be better for a TV show than Shield?  I for one thing they should have jumped on TV with Heroes for Hire.  Luke Cage and Iron Fist have powers that wouldn't cost too much money in special effects to make realistic.  Luke Cage being a family man adds a wrinkle that is generally ignored in comic book stories.  The whole concept of a super hero team of private eyes just seems perfect for television.

• Like 1

She bears more resemblance to Mavis/Payback from Cary Bates's TRUE BELIEVERS than either (SHIELD data analyst keeping her little group of hackers and conspiracy wonks safe from SHIELD with her position) than either Jessica, but that reference is so obscure that it would probably be a net negative to ever bring it up.

I don't think anybody is surprised by the number, but it is too many for a show like this. I think the last 10-15 years of television have proven fairly conclusively that, when it comes to heavily serialized shows with unique mythologies, shorter seasons are better. It's taking a while for this idea to bleed over to the networks, but it's happening and will be the norm sooner than later.

FOX is leading the way - they're already doing 15-episode seasons of THE FOLLOWING and seem to be setting up SLEEPY HOLLOW for 13-episode seasons, not to mention the upcoming shorter season of 24 that will probably lead to more if it's a hit. NBC has gotten into the act, too, with HANNIBAL getting 13-episode runs.

SHIELD seems like a no-brianer for a shorter order of 15 or so episodes, and I imagine it will eventually turn into that in future seasons if the ratings keep dipping.

I don't disagree, but this is also seemingly a train of thought that has only started recently with US television, and only after seeing success with shows like Dexter, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and Walking Dead. Pretty sure its generally not the preference of network tv though to do shows like this as they like having something that will attract audiences during the sizable non-vacation portion of the year. Hopefully that will change with the success of FOX's shows.

I actually think they should be able to do a decent job with 22 episodes. They should need to avoid a season long plot and instead split the season up by two or more arcs.

I don't think this show has lived up to my expectations at all, but it's probabaly because I had unrealistic expectations on what a network version of a Marvel show with no super heroes would be.  I'm going to continue watching mostly because I want to yell in your face when Skye turns out to be Jessica Drew I'm hoping it will get better. I think that Shield is a tough thing to pull off on television, because without superheroes they don't really have anything to do. 

Don't really agree with this at all. Shield was the perfect show to put on tv. An actual show with superheroes would cost a lot more special effects wise, and Shield has an easy plot dealing with the intelligence/super arms race side of things. You can actually stay a decent bit grounded within that and save the effects for big story climaxes. The only other Marvel character who would lend themselves well to a tv setting is Punisher.