DVDVR Message Board

Yeah, Coulson was officially dead until the pilot, when it was a "Level 7 security clearance" secret that he was brought back, but now he's just running around all willy nilly.  I'm sure the Avengers would be able to easily spot him during news coverage.

Yeah, but if he is on a street corner in a major city he is bound to be on video and if The Avengers are watching they could see him.  I don't think it is anything they would actually bring up on the show though.  The whole concept of him being reincarnated or whatever is always going to be problematic if you actually think about it. 

This episode was...fine. Mainly because of the post pool jump jog, I'm ashamed to say.

I'm convinced that she's Jessica Drew now, though.

Though on one hand I doubt ABC cares enough to sink in comic nods and homages, her punching bag work out reminded me A LOT of Cap recruiting Jessica in New Avengers #1. 

I wouldn't be watching this anymore if it wasn't a Marvel show, though.

Things that do need to change... Fitz comes off like a giant douche, he is just unlikeable.  Simmons doesn't bother me as much, probably because she doesn't seem to talk down to people.  Melinda May goes from completely and totally against field work in the first three episodes, and now she is volunteering for it.  They need to give a reason for the change of heart.  So Grant Ward's whole life changed because his brother beat him up as a kid...is that really the best they could come up with?  How about his father was killed by some unexplained force or his mom was Dr. Doom's concubine?  How about something that could bear fruit in the future.  He isn't even a character, he is just a coat rack with a gun. 

Questions:  So, does Coulson know he died or does he think he was in Tahiti?  Does everyone else know he died, or do they think he was in Tahiti?  Are we supposed to know whether or not any of these people know whether or not he died or was in Tahiti?  So will Graviton be the big bad going forward, or is it whatever corporation created the dude in the pilot?  Does that corporation even exist any more or was that just for the pilot?  What about the crazy scientist guy?  Is he going to be a recurring villian?  If Skye is Jessica Drew does she already have her powers?  If so, wouldn't last night's episode be a perfect time to tease her ability to influence men?  If she doesn't have her powers, how does she get them? 

I agree about Fitz and Grant. Melinda agreeing to field work was explained. The situations keep getting unexpectedly heavy with her not having the control she would like and worrying about people dying. She asked for it specifically because she doesn't believe Coulson is really up for it yet. I do think they shouldn't have had her go all in it yet though, especially with her reasons for retiring from field work not being revealed yet.

Coulson thinks he died for a few seconds. Skye doesn't know. Grant does know and thinks he spent his time recovering in Tahiti. I imagine its the same for May & Fitz/Simmons. The corporation from the pilot was AIM. Pretty sure Ian Quinn, who was introduced here, is a part of it. Seeing that he didn't die and wasn't captured its probably safe to assume he will be a recurring villain.

I would be surprised if Skye was Jessica Drew as I have trouble seeing them introduce any potential movie characters in the show.

Things that do need to change... Fitz comes off like a giant douche, he is just unlikeable.  Simmons doesn't bother me as much, probably because she doesn't seem to talk down to people.  Melinda May goes from completely and totally against field work in the first three episodes, and now she is volunteering for it.  They need to give a reason for the change of heart.  So Grant Ward's whole life changed because his brother beat him up as a kid...is that really the best they could come up with?  How about his father was killed by some unexplained force or his mom was Dr. Doom's concubine?  How about something that could bear fruit in the future.  He isn't even a character, he is just a coat rack with a gun. 

Questions:  So, does Coulson know he died or does he think he was in Tahiti?  Does everyone else know he died, or do they think he was in Tahiti?  Are we supposed to know whether or not any of these people know whether or not he died or was in Tahiti?  So will Graviton be the big bad going forward, or is it whatever corporation created the dude in the pilot?  Does that corporation even exist any more or was that just for the pilot?  What about the crazy scientist guy?  Is he going to be a recurring villian?  If Skye is Jessica Drew does she already have her powers?  If so, wouldn't last night's episode be a perfect time to tease her ability to influence men?  If she doesn't have her powers, how does she get them? 

I agree about Fitz and Grant. Melinda agreeing to field work was explained. The situations keep getting unexpectedly heavy with her not having the control she would like and worrying about people dying. She asked for it specifically because she doesn't believe Coulson is really up for it yet. I do think they shouldn't have had her go all in it yet though, especially with her reasons for retiring from field work not being revealed yet.

We are kind of on the same page, but I don't think her explaination was an explaination.  The entire character until this point refused to go into the field, because of something in her past.  She wouldn't agree to be on the team unless they promised she wouldn't be in the field.  Nothing happened to change her opinion, Coulson wasn't in any more danger than usual, she didn't get over what ever happened that made her not want to be in the field, and it just didn't make any sense. 

• Like 1

I think your missing the point that the usual level of danger itself was what was bothering her, especially since Coulson keeps seemingly getting in the most dangerous situations, going after Peterson during the pilot, nearly getting pulled out of the plane last week, and this week being right at the epicenter of a gravity quake with Hall. I thought it made sense to some degree, just that they pushed too far with her going completely back in w/o revealing/resolving the back-story of why she retired from field work in the first place.

Why would people think she was Jessica Drew? Drew's origin is super specific and led to unique character traits. I think she's just Skye. If anything maybe we'll find out she's a robot too to help set up the next Avengers movie or something.

• Like 1

I get the impression that maybe May knows what really happened to Coulson, but the rest of them either are at level 7 (turns out he survivied!) or weren't at level 6 in the first place, and were never told he died.

I think your missing the point that the usual level of danger itself was what was bothering her, especially since Coulson keeps seemingly getting in the most dangerous situations, going after Peterson during the pilot, nearly getting pulled out of the plane last week, and this week being right at the epicenter of a gravity quake with Hall. I thought it made sense to some degree, just that they pushed too far with her going completely back in w/o revealing/resolving the back-story of why she retired from field work in the first place.

I think we'll have to disagree about the degree to which it made sense.  I mean, I would hope that May would know that going on ultra secret missions to deal with crazy superpowered whatzits would tend to involve danger.  But whatever.

The bigger point to me is that this tension is one of the things that made her character interesting (and, by extension, Coulson since clearly he intended for her to become more than just the plane's pilot).  Now that tension seems to have vanished.  Same thing with Skye's loyalties.  Three episodes in, and it appears they've sewed up that as well.  There wasn't much that made me care about these people, and two of the most interesting things may have just evaporated.  (granted, it's always possible that these things will rear their head again  -- I'm sure there will be more between Skye and the Rising Tide, but it feels like she's pretty solidly in the SHIELD camp). 

It's odd to me that they seem quite capable of creating interesting antagonists: Mike Peterson and this version of Franklin Hall.  And to a lesser extent, Camilla Reyes and Ian Quinn.  But most of the regulars are still boring and possibly getting to be more boring as they take away the stuff they set up in the pilot.  (or add lameass backstory like Handsome's brother's birthday cake)

Side note about Coulson's anonymity: did they clear out the station before the sniper standoff between Coulson and Peterson?  If any civilians were nearby, they'd surely have filmed the scene.  My recollection is that Coulson was running around in public while shit was going down, so he'd likely have ended up on somebody's camera phone.

I think we'll have to disagree about the degree to which it made sense.  I mean, I would hope that May would know that going on ultra secret missions to deal with crazy superpowered whatzits would tend to involve danger.  But whatever.

The bigger point to me is that this tension is one of the things that made her character interesting (and, by extension, Coulson since clearly he intended for her to become more than just the plane's pilot).  Now that tension seems to have vanished.  Same thing with Skye's loyalties.  Three episodes in, and it appears they've sewed up that as well.  There wasn't much that made me care about these people, and two of the most interesting things may have just evaporated.  (granted, it's always possible that these things will rear their head again  -- I'm sure there will be more between Skye and the Rising Tide, but it feels like she's pretty solidly in the SHIELD camp). 

It's odd to me that they seem quite capable of creating interesting antagonists: Mike Peterson and this version of Franklin Hall.  And to a lesser extent, Camilla Reyes and Ian Quinn.  But most of the regulars are still boring and possibly getting to be more boring as they take away the stuff they set up in the pilot.  (or add lameass backstory like Handsome's brother's birthday cake)

Side note about Coulson's anonymity: did they clear out the station before the sniper standoff between Coulson and Peterson?  If any civilians were nearby, they'd surely have filmed the scene.  My recollection is that Coulson was running around in public while shit was going down, so he'd likely have ended up on somebody's camera phone.

May was supposedly "The Calvary," that came to clean up the most fucked up situations, of all people she would know how dangerous the job is.

Your point about the lack of tension is 100% of my point.  May was clearly the most capable, but didn't want to be in the field, but that is out the window.  Ward is a grown ass man with international spy experience, if his brother is still picking on him that is his fault.  Skye is supposedly a double agent, that seems to be buying in to everything she fought her whole life against despite just meeting these people.  Coulson is only interesting because he was in a movie I watched.  Every single thing that could have made these people interesting has been scrubbed away in the first three episodes...except Skye's breasts, which they had to point out.

The villians have been pretty good thus far, and hopefully all of these storylines intersect at some point.  AIM being the big bad and hiring the Reyes' and Quinn's of the world to do their bidding would be the most reasonable way to go. 

This is quickly filling the void in my life that shows like Heroes and Entourage once filled.  I'm pretty sure I can't stand the show, but I'm still going to watch every week. 

SHIELD can wipe all that stuff remotely, I'm sure.

Who's actually looking for Coulson though? He wasn't a public figure before he died, no one knows that he did, or came back, so its not like hes going to show up on the news. Stark isn't sitting up at night watching phone shot youtube videos of SHIELD clearing out a train station. Banners probably off living in a hut again in the middle of nowhere. Widow and Hawkeye are probably high enough clearance that they know hes alive by now. Thors off world. Captain America maybe doesn't know? So they will be pissed at SHIELD/Couson in the next Avengers film to add a bit of drama to it. The only people they seem to be keeping in the dark are they own staff and even then they don't seem to care too much now. The mystery of how he came back is the story.

I had to Google who this Graviton chap was, didn't realize he was the same guy from the first ep of the Avengers animated series. Why is he not a big deal and running shit? surely being able to control gravity is up there with Magnito and anyone else with ridiculous earth crippling powers?

I could see Graviton ending up as the big bad at the end of the season, breaking out of The Fridge and tearing shit up.  Reyes (and the plot of Cap 2) reveal that HYDRA is still around, and AIM is a possibility.  Could be a combo of the two (ala 1st season of EMH).  I'd lose my shit if MODOK shows up, but they'd probably use Strucker instead.  

Even with Jessica's comic backstory, its not ouside the realm of possibility they change it up for the show, giving them a movie tie-in.  Considering that HYDRA/AIM/whoever did the Centipede is trying to create other Supers, they can always do a thing where Skye, realizing that Rising Tide is just a front that Big Bad did to throw off SHIELD, does something that ends up super-powering her up to Spider-Woman.  

Course, I could just be fantasy booking.

Skye's loyalties aren't sewn up at all - she said "I'm in" to somebody, all this week revealed was that she's willing to go to great lengths to stay undercover.

The issue of Coulson being seen is just nitpicking - SHIELD was able to cover up what was essentially a natural disaster with Project Pegasus, why would it be at all difficult to take some civilian's phone and say "national security?"

And yes, the Spider-Woman stuff is all wishful fanboy thinking - why wouldn't they just name her Jessica Drew?