DVDVR Message Board

The Goldbergs being a pile of shit, and Trophy Wife and Lucky 7 not being much better dragged down ABC last night.  That, and NCIS was an event episode (Cote de Pablo's last episode) and The Voice is the Voice.  It was a still a 3.1 with 18-29's, which doesn't suck.

The second episode shed 3 million viewers and dragged down the whole night for ABC, so maybe pump the brakes on plans for season 2.

I wanted to get into this show so bad, but it's the dialogue. It's killing me. It's just not for me, but I hope it becomes successful enough to stay on the air. Clark Gregg deserves the work.

They're all terrible but Gregg feels like he doesn't know how he's supposed to play his role.

I've only seen the pilot so far, but I definitely got the sense that they didn't have a handle on how Coulson works as a lead character yet.

Haven't been impressed with what I've seen of Agents Of SHIELD.  They could've at least tossed in a real SHIELD character in the cast.  Coulson doesn't cut it.  It's basically just some cheap looking generic action show left over from the syndication era.

Finally saw Iron Man 3.  Loved it.  Second best Marvel movie behind Iron Man 1.  Screw Josh Wheedon.  Shane Black for everything.

Only problem I had was the lack of even a mention of SHIELD, not because I missed them but

1) The Mandarin seems like he'd be their problem to take care of

2) They wouldn't fucking go away in Iron Man 2

I don't read comics that much (at least nothing Marvel/DC) so my opinion on these matters probably doesn't carry as much weight, but why exactly do people shit on Iron Man 2 so much?  It's probably my favorite of the 3, though I need to go rewatch the third one.

Agents of Shield has been ok so far but comes off like something from the Syfy channel.  The characters all seem just kinda there and even more stock-ish and trope-heavy than normal.  It's still early in the game though.

The biggest problem most people have with IM2 is that so much of it was spent establishing SHIELD and setting up things for The Avengers (and things that mostly didn't even end up being important to The Avengers) that it sometimes got sidetracked and forgot to tell it's own story for long stretches of time.

There are things I really like about the film, but there are a lot of dead scenes.

And Rourke (who I love) was terrible, something he even kind of admits, while blaming it on all of his good scenes being left on the cutting room floor.

The biggest problem most people have with IM2 is that so much of it was spent establishing SHIELD and setting up things for The Avengers (and things that mostly didn't even end up being important to The Avengers) that it sometimes got sidetracked and forgot to tell it's own story for long stretches of time.

Only watched Iron Man 2 the once, at the cinema. This is how I feel about Iron Man 2. I thought S.H.I.E.L.D. was better done in Thor.

It actually doesn't spend as much time building up SHIELD or Avengers as people think.

The problem with IM2 is all the fucking talking and bullshitting that goes on for the whole movie that by the time it ends, you wonder if you actually saw any kind of progress.

• Like 1

The show can't survive on cameos.  I think a good first step would be to kill off the techie twins and bring in Shepherd Book as the new science-talkin'-guy for the team.  It's just impossible to take those kids seriously as double-PhD types.  Might be good to have somebody with some sort of super power on the team, too.