DVDVR Message Board

And here's Paul Rudd in the first Scott Lang pic. Weird piercing and all.

5d1_2437_r.jpg?w=600&h=400

And Cassie is in the movie:

Reed: "Thematic arc really is a sort of passing-of-the-torch movie… Rudd’s character is an ex-con, a thief. It’s also got the structure of a heist movie. And there’s also a real personal dynamic to the movie, too. In the comics, Scott Lang has a daughter, and that’s part of the movie, too."

While I am not all that invested in Ant-Man, I think its cool that these movies can be structured like many different genres and sub-genres.  Winter Soldier was a political thriller.  First Avenger was a WWII adventure movie.  Guardians was a space opera.  Iron Man 3 was a techno thriller, etc.

Was this written around the same time as the "Does this A stand for France?" garbage?  Because Cap (as depicted above) seems to have no understanding of the fact that America is a democracy (or democratic republic or whatever).  I mean, "It doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right"?  Uh, yeah it does.  It doesn't make it right (e.g. slavery) but it makes it the law of the land, which kinda matters.  In short, that speech sounds really dumb. (though it's amusing in the context which TheVileOne posted it)

It was written some years after.  The A for France thing was written for the first volume of Ultimates by Mark Millar.  The above speech was written by J. Michael Stracynski during The Civil War storyline.

Honestly, I was not a big fan of the Civil War storyline.  I posted the image more because it felt more relevant after the move of Batman/Superman.  People here are very sensitive about it.  I find it more amusing than anything.

Oh, I agree it was amusing in the context which you posted it.

Also Cap is really just saying you have to stand up for what is right no matter what.

He said, "This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences."

I just don't see how that is so. I don't see that requirement mentioned in the Declaration or the Constitution. Big Fresh says that Cap is saying that we are a nation of individuals, not a collective. Yet the first thing the Constitution says it's doing is 'forming a more perfect Union.' It goes on to say it will "provide for the common defence [and] promote the general Welfare". Those sound like collective goals to me.

If he was saying you have to stand up for what is right no matter what, that's great. But I don't see why you'd drag America into it. I'm not aware that Americans are uniquely able to determine what is right and what isn't. Plenty of Americans do things that I think are wrong. If he'd said "We're heroes, bound to one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up and fight for what is right, no matter the odds or the consequences." I doubt I'd have a problem with it.

I guess to me it just sounds like something that could just as easily come out of the mouth of Weaver, Koresh, Bundy, or any of their ilk. I don't associate Captain America with those guys.

Supposedly Marvel is in final talks with Joaquin Phoenix to play Dr. Strange

awww. My pipedream casting was Pedro Pascal.

Phoenix seems like an odd choice when they've been burned by guys that don't play well with ensembles in the past, like Terrance Howard and Ed Norton.