DVDVR Message Board

Marti Noxon?  David Greenwalt?

Well, I mean some of the guys that were just directors are out there, but you REALLY don't want Rick Rosenthal getting back into movies. 

I don't think James Contner has done anything since, like, on episode of Dollhouse.

OOOH, I got it.  Someone rescue David Fury from working on 24 Electric Boogaloo!  He has two episodes of Buffy and one of Angel on his directing resume (actually, that's his entire directing resume.)

Seriously, though, the people from Joss's crew you would expect are already working for Marvel.  Drew was doing DD, has left to do Sinister Six at Sony.  Steven DeKnight replaced him. 

Then Tim Minear is tied up with American Horror Story.  Jane Espenson (who isn't a director, anyway) is apparently on Once Upon a Time.

(Wait, was this a serious question, or just sarcasm?)

Honestly, just hire Dan Harmon.

That's not a bad idea.

Although I think "avoiding people with a history of creative clashes with the studio/network/etc" is probably high on their list.

Harmon never even directed an episode of COMMUNITY. And, as mentioned, is an ass who can't get along with anybody.

The Russo Brothers, who directed a zillion episodes of COMMUNITY, would be a great choice. But they're occupied.

Between Jane what's her face and your love of Disney, you should really be watching Once Upon A Time, Brian. It's candy but it's got the serialized storytelling down way better than, let's say, Heroes.

Oh my stars and garters, but you are setting your bars rather low this evening.

The point is that everyone holds Marvel up above DC for some reason when they've really just been very lucky. Both in terms of casting/director issues and having such a markish audience.

Lo and behold that luck is running out

How exactly is that "luck" running out? Because one director dropped out? Which, to be honest, while it's a bummer, it's really Kevin Feige who makes these movies, so I'm not sure how much the director really matters. Every Marvel movie just keeps climbing. They haven't slowed down yet. There's zero evidence that they're going to.

Josh Brolin is playing Thanos.  

take-a-listen-to-thanos-s-voice-josh-bro

I like this  Marvel Studios/Marvel Cinematic Universe has a track record of getting casting mostly right.

Thurber is the obvious worst choice. But after being swatted down by the studio on DODGEBALL, he's gradually remade himself as someone the studios can deal with, and last year he turned in a no-fuss, no-muss, by-the-book comedy in WE'RE THE MILLERS that made a lot of money. So they'll probably pick him.

But I love Easy A a fuckton. More poeple need to see that movie.

I liked Easy A. Trying to think of the poster here who let's say isn't a fan of Emma Stone's character in the film.

Adam McKay has been confirmed as the new director of Ant-Man.

Oh man, John C. Reilly as Hank Pym mentoring Paul Rudd as Scott Lang would be priceless.

And now the Hollywood Reporter is saying that McKay abruptly pulled out of negotiations.

Yeesh. I wonder how badly Marvel has fucked up this movie with their rewrites. Nobody wants to touch this thing.

The film in development the longest is the one causing the most trouble. The director has to hit the ground running to get this out for the November 2015 release date...

vimbn9.jpg

I'd put Ant-Man aside for another time and just have Avengers: Age of Ultron as the only Marvel Studios film out next year like they did with Avengers Assemble in 2012.

Harmon never even directed an episode of COMMUNITY. And, as mentioned, is an ass who can't get along with anybody.

The Russo Brothers, who directed a zillion episodes of COMMUNITY, would be a great choice. But they're occupied.

I'm happy The Russo Brothers are assigned to the Cap series. Having watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier, you can see why Marvel Studios were happy with the job they did and signed them up for the third film months before CA: TWS came out.

• Like 1

The point is that everyone holds Marvel up above DC for some reason when they've really just been very lucky. Both in terms of casting/director issues and having such a markish audience.

How exactly is that "luck" running out? Because one director dropped out? Which, to be honest, while it's a bummer, it's really Kevin Feige who makes these movies, so I'm not sure how much the director really matters. Every Marvel movie just keeps climbing. They haven't slowed down yet. There's zero evidence that they're going to.

You're probably giving him too much credit and the directors not enough.

You're probably giving him too much credit and the directors not enough.

You might be right. But it's hard not to notice a similar tone and spirit throughout all these movies. So something is consistent.

Beginning of the End was a fitting name for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s first season finale with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. getting revenge on HYDRA’s John Garrett who I’m going to miss, HYDRA’s Grant Ward who will surely reappear and Cybertek. The episode had a memorable guest appearance with Samuel J. Jackson’s Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Phil Coulson becoming the new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I liked the dialogue exchanges between Nick Fury/Agent Coulson and FitzSimmons. I have it second only to Turn, Turn, Turn.