DVDVR Message Board

What started as rumored way for Marvel Studios to cheaply introduce its unknown characters to audiences has now become what we know as Marvel One-Shots, which are creative short film extensions of the Marvel Cinematic Universe released as Blu-ray special features. Considering we've had new One-Shots with the home release of every Marvel Studios movie since Thor (2011), it was a surprise to see the title of a new one missing in the recent home release announcement for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Well, both Entertainment Weekly and Marvel's @AgentM, aka Ryan Penagos, have confirmed that it was no mistake and that Marvel will not be developing a One-Shot for the Joe and Anthony Russo-directed movie, which hits Blu-ray/DVD on September 9.

There is no word on why there will not be a new follow-up to Drew Pearce's fun All Hail The King One-Shot, but EW recalls Marvel executives declaring that

"they might bring a temporary halt to the One-Shots if they didn’t have a strong story idea or their full focus was needed on the feature film pipeline." It may just be the latter considering all of what has been going on with Ant-Man recently, however, that didn't come to light until last week.

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

Surprising and disappointing news.

When Edgar Wright ("Hot Fuzz") suddenly departed Marvel's Ant-Man, fans were stunned. Who could blame them? Wright had been working on the project for eight years, before the Marvel cinematic universe began with Iron Man. It finally looked like it would become a reality as Wright had shot and presented some fantastic test footage proving that the diminutive superhero could hold his own. We all knew Wright could pull off comedy but we were convinced he could handle action as well when Wright delivered a great choreographed action sequence (bathroom brawl) in 2013's The World's End. Wright's Ant-Man will now go down as one of the great "what ifs" of cinema. So, who will replace Edgar Wright? The Hollywood Reporter believes they know of three directors that are in the hunt:

"Sources say Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer are among a group of directors that are meeting with the studio to replace Edgar Wright." - Borys Kit

Alright, let's take a closer look at the contenders. First up, Rawson Marshall Thurber. Thurber is best known for directing DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story, We're the Millers and Easy A. Adam McKay is best known for directing Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby and Step Brothers. Lastly, Ruben Fleischer is responsible for Zombieland, 30 Minutes or Less andGangster Squad.

Credit: comicbookfilm.com

I'd choose either Adam McKay for Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy or Ruben Fleischer for Zombieland. Still wish Edgar Wright was on board.

Namor's superiority complex I think is one of the best things about him.  When Beast was being a bitch after he found out about Cyclop's X-Force kill team, Namor was the only one with the stones to tell him he was being a bitch by leaving the team.  Namor's a good guy, but you really have to earn his respect to get him to fight alongside you.  Otherwise he's just as liable to be your enemy.  He can arguably be just as much as an antihero as a hero.

Namor's been around forever, I know, but he works best within the FF framework.  And he sorta works in the X framework.  He has absolutely no place in the Marvel Studios universe.

They should do an Invaders movie with Namor and then when the next FF movie flops, redo his Silver Age "origin" where the Torch finds him

So, does Jim Hammond belong to Fox because of the FF or Marvel Studios?

When Edgar Wright ("Hot Fuzz") suddenly departed Marvel's Ant-Man, fans were stunned. Who could blame them? Wright had been working on the project for eight years, before the Marvel cinematic universe began with Iron Man. It finally looked like it would become a reality as Wright had shot and presented some fantastic test footage proving that the diminutive superhero could hold his own. We all knew Wright could pull off comedy but we were convinced he could handle action as well when Wright delivered a great choreographed action sequence (bathroom brawl) in 2013's The World's End. Wright's Ant-Man will now go down as one of the great "what ifs" of cinema. So, who will replace Edgar Wright? The Hollywood Reporter believes they know of three directors that are in the hunt:

"Sources say Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer are among a group of directors that are meeting with the studio to replace Edgar Wright." - Borys Kit

Alright, let's take a closer look at the contenders. First up, Rawson Marshall Thurber. Thurber is best known for directing DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story, We're the Millers and Easy A. Adam McKay is best known for directing Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby and Step Brothers. Lastly, Ruben Fleischer is responsible for Zombieland, 30 Minutes or Less andGangster Squad.

Credit: comicbookfilm.com

I'd choose either Adam McKay for Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy or Ruben Fleischer for Zombieland. Still wish Edgar Wright was on board.

I love Adam McKay's stuff, but he seems like a terrible fit for this movie. I laugh a lot at THE OTHER GUYS, but I don't think any of the action bits are all that good.

Reuben Fleischer seems like the best fit to come in and carry on in Wright's place based on ZOMBIELAND. But, man, I thought GANGSTER SQUAD was a turd. I wonder which Fleischer would show up.

Thurber is the obvious worst choice. But after being swatted down by the studio on DODGEBALL, he's gradually remade himself as someone the studios can deal with, and last year he turned in a no-fuss, no-muss, by-the-book comedy in WE'RE THE MILLERS that made a lot of money. So they'll probably pick him.

All three of those choices could backfire hardcore. 

How good is Thurber without the obscene jokes and dildo/giant swollen testicle sight gags? I mean they kinda stole the middle finger bit from Talladega Nights for GotG, but at least McKay can have some decent PG-13 friendly stuff outside of that.

I would do a Namor movie without having Namor as the hero. An overzealous American military accidently kills a few Atlantians (including members of Namor's family). So Atlantis goes to war with the surface world. Which makes him the "bad guy", but we can at least sympathize with his reasons. It's essentially King Kong, but with motherfuckin' Namor.

Thurber is the obvious worst choice. But after being swatted down by the studio on DODGEBALL, he's gradually remade himself as someone the studios can deal with, and last year he turned in a no-fuss, no-muss, by-the-book comedy in WE'RE THE MILLERS that made a lot of money. So they'll probably pick him.

But I love Easy A a fuckton. More poeple need to see that movie.

• Like 1

They should do an Invaders movie with Namor and then when the next FF movie flops, redo his Silver Age "origin" where the Torch finds him

So, does Jim Hammond belong to Fox because of the FF or Marvel Studios?

Well, in the 70s someone having the rights to Hammond was enough to keep Johnny out of the New FF cartoon, but that's 35 years ago. So it's entirely possible but hard to say for sure. If they never use the name "Human Torch" and just do Jim Hammond, Android On Fire, they might survive.

John C. Reilly is already a part of GotG so I doubt that would allow him to be a different character in Ant Man.

Yeah, I know. It would be great, though.

IMDB also has Michael Douglas listed as playing Hank Pym. I must have missed those news.

Adam McKay has been confirmed as the new director of Ant-Man.

Oh man, John C. Reilly as Hank Pym mentoring Paul Rudd as Scott Lang would be priceless.

And now the Hollywood Reporter is saying that McKay abruptly pulled out of negotiations.

Yeesh. I wonder how badly Marvel has fucked up this movie with their rewrites. Nobody wants to touch this thing.