DVDVR Message Board

Posted Image

In which country was this DVD released?

I'm intrigued by this Eva Mandes.

The only positive to come out of The Spirit was that the movie was such a colossal turd that it torpedoed Gabriel Macht's movie career solidly enough for him seek refuge at the USA Network where he finally redeemed himself as Harvey Specter. I avoided Suits until about 2/3 through the first season because I refused to believe the man responsible for such an abysmal performance could pull off such a cool character.

I rewatched The Spirit about a year ago to see if it was as bad I remembered (it was worse) and two things struck me. First was how did Frank Miller get such terrible performances out of so many otherwise good actors. And second was why Kate Beckett on Castle repeatedly referred to herself as a Frank Miller fangirl (I always thought it was just a nod to Nathan Fillion being a geek icon):

I can't think of a worse one, can you?

I'd argue the Man of Steel was worse. And that just came out this year.Edit: oh yes, The Spirit. That's one of the worst films, period, of the last 10 years. It's a fascinating movie, though, as it's terrible on every conceivable level, and it's utterly mindbending how the studio allowed it to become the failure it is. I mean, it's a film worthy of obsession, because one really cannot believe that they allowed it to get that way, but they did, and it just defies logic and comprehension.

Getting to see everything at D23 made up for missing it all at Comic-Con so I lucked out there.  

I think Guardians looks awesome.  Honestly, even if it flops, it doesn't really matter.  I see it as a nice experiment that we can get such a lesser known property.  Before 2008, Iron Man was basically a B-list character as well compared to Spider-Man or Wolverine.

The Winter Soldier looks like the best Marvel Cinematic Universe film ever going by the footage.  The tanker sequence was highly reminiscent of the opening to Metal Gear Solid II.  If the final product is as promising as the footage, I think it could surpass everything Marvel has done before including Iron Man and The Avengers.

Getting to see everything at D23 made up for missing it all at Comic-Con so I lucked out there.

I think Guardians looks awesome. Honestly, even if it flops, it doesn't really matter. I see it as a nice experiment that we can get such a lesser known property. Before 2008, Iron Man was basically a B-list character as well compared to Spider-Man or Wolverine.

The Winter Soldier looks like the best Marvel Cinematic Universe film ever going by the footage. The tanker sequence was highly reminiscent of the opening to Metal Gear Solid II. If the final product is as promising as the footage, I think it could surpass everything Marvel has done before including Iron Man and The Avengers.

The rise of Iron Man since the first Iron Man film came out in 2008 is really something as Marvel Studios didn't have the rights to Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Hoping Captain America: The Winter Soldier footage will leak at some point, I've looked forward to the film since it was announced at last year's San Diego Comic-Con. Good hearing from you about the quality of the footage.

Some of it has leaked already.  Going by SHH, the footage that's online is the elevator sequence right before the fighting starts.

That's also a cool fight sequence.  A big fight set in a really small space which made it pretty creative.  Frank Grillo as Rumlow (Crossbones) was in that sequence and also the tanker scene.  It looks like he's a SHIELD agent that's probably a sleeper agent for HYDRA or something.  

Tanker scene is badass as we finally get to see Cap moving like a true super soldier.  And utilizing his shield in ways we didn't get to see enough of in First Avenger and Avengers.

Can you remind us about the tanker sequence? I remember reading about the elevator scene but not the tanker. How does the Super-Soldier outfit look? Ta.

Cap does a high dive into the drink from a quinjet.  He boards a tanker and starts knocking out guards.  He proceeds across the tanker using jumps and his shield to take out multiple guards.  A guard is about to pull an alarm and Cap throws a dagger into his hand.  Rumlow parachutes in and tranqs a guy that's behind Cap.  Black Widow chutes in and bugs Cap about setting him up on a date.  Cap tells her to knock it off and stay on mission.  Black Widow does a type of stairwell dive and starts shooting down some guards.  

Super soldier outfit looks alright.  I'm not crazy about the design, but for this story I guess it makes sense.

• Like 1

Can you remind us about the tanker sequence? I remember reading about the elevator scene but not the tanker. How does the Super-Soldier outfit look? Ta.

Cap does a high dive into the drink from a quinjet.  He boards a tanker and starts knocking out guards.  He proceeds across the tanker using jumps and his shield to take out multiple guards.  A guard is about to pull an alarm and Cap throws a dagger into his hand.  Rumlow parachutes in and tranqs a guy that's behind Cap.  Black Widow chutes in and bugs Cap about setting him up on a date.  Cap tells her to knock it off and stay on mission.  Black Widow does a type of stairwell dive and starts shooting down some guards.  

Super soldier outfit looks alright.  I'm not crazy about the design, but for this story I guess it makes sense.

Cheers TheVileOne. About the Super-Soldier outfit, I still think we'll get the traditional looking suit at some point in the film. I'd prefer to get something like the Captain America: The First Avenger suit.

• Like 1

Yeah, at some point it looks like he picks up a replica of his TFA outfit.

Hope that happens. Interested to see the choices Joss Whedon makes for The Avengers costumes in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

There was that modified First Avenger suit at Comicon with the stripe in the middle

Yep, here it is:

Posted Image

They have two good movies ever, you'd hope they might be able to beat such lofty competition as the Thor, Cap and Hulk movies, and the two Iron Man sequels.

They are so bad, yet you keep talking about them.I don't like the Nolan Batman movies. But you know what, I don't go in that thread and ruin it for people who enjoy them.

• Like 3