DVDVR Message Board

Discussion point: with the extensive history between Daredevil and Black Widow, do you think there's any chance she'll pop up in the Netflix series? Or is ScarJo too big of a star to do Internet TV?

Considering House of Cards cast list, I don't think she'd be against doing a Netflix show.

She started as a spy as a kid (says so in Avengers) and calls her self Russian ("or at least I was") in the scene with Loki. Pretty sure she references being ex-KGB at least once.

She started as a spy as a kid (says so in Avengers) and calls her self Russian ("or at least I was") in the scene with Loki. Pretty sure she references being ex-KGB at least once.

She must have been trained by a hitman with a potted plant.

Not sure about the KGB thing specifically but she definitely references being Russian at least twice in Cap 2. The first is the first time the name "Winter Soldier" is brought up where she says something to the effect of "I first heard of this Winter Soldier guy when he was an urban legend in the Russian spy community..." and the second is at the end - and this is where I believe your KGB ref may have been made - when she hands over Bucky's secret file which I am pretty sure was written in Russian.

Speaking of Widow and Bucky, I saw it mentioned that the Bucky actor signed a 9 picture deal. I don't think that means he's going to be the next Cap - although doing the Death of Captain America story would be fascinating. I think it means he's ticketed for a big part in the Widow movie(s) down the line. 

How the hell old do you expect her to be?  Do you really want a 55 year old Black Widow movie?  It is 2014 unless we get Geena Davis to play Soviet spy Black Widow, no one can realistically be a former Soviet spy.

Based on her back story and the way she's drawn in the comics, I pegged the comics version of Widow at somewhere between 36-45.  Scarlett Johannson strikes me as being too young to play the character.  I'd prefer her played by an actress closer to RDJ's age.  That's the nature of the business, though.  Realistically, Widow probably should be at least 50, but Marvel's not going to write and draw her that way and she's not going to be portrayed as middle age in the movies.

Aside from the age thing, they've kept her background fairly close to the comics version. 

How the hell old do you expect her to be?  Do you really want a 55 year old Black Widow movie?  It is 2014 unless we get Geena Davis to play Soviet spy Black Widow, no one can realistically be a former Soviet spy.

The movie features two characters cryogentically frozen. Why not three?

Although shes already done the gimmick in Red, Helen Mirren as a 60 year old Soviet spy would be pretty nifty.

Based on her back story and the way she's drawn in the comics, I pegged the comics version of Widow at somewhere between 36-45.  Scarlett Johannson strikes me as being too young to play the character.  I'd prefer her played by an actress closer to RDJ's age.  That's the nature of the business, though.  Realistically, Widow probably should be at least 50, but Marvel's not going to write and draw her that way and she's not going to be portrayed as middle age in the movies.

Aside from the age thing, they've kept her background fairly close to the comics version. 

Assuming it hasn't been retconned, comics Black Widow is closer to 80. She's about 10-15 years younger than Cap.

Definitely not as good as the first Cap, but, then, not much is.

Probably around 3rd best Marvel Cinematic film. Which puts it right around the "The Dark Knight" line of quality.

Hell no!

Oh, snap.  Natural's gonna HAM on Fowler!

Pull up your chairs, boys and girls!

Dis-Gon-Be-Good-Chair-Reaction-Gif.gif

• Like 1

Assuming it hasn't been retconned, comics Black Widow is closer to 80. She's about 10-15 years younger than Cap.

Oops.  My bad.  I wasn't aware they retconned her origin in her own book (never read it).  Marvel.com's Wiki page says she was born in 1928.

Yeah not long ago Brubaker did this angle about Tasha being trained in the 50s and being in some sort of secret Winter Soldier type program where she met Bucky in between "sleep" periods where she was frozen to stay young. Personally I hope they don't go that route because I thought that story was kinda dumb. Talk about going to the well one too many times.

I get that she says that she's Russian. There's not really any element of that in her performance though. I think they capture Thor very well. I think Cap is spot on. Iron Man sort of redefined the comics character. Just if you listed all the elements that made Black Widow Black Widow, I don't think you find much of those personality traits in the movie version. 

Even before some of cryo stuff, I liked the Paul Cornell mini that traced her through the years.

I get that she says that she's Russian. There's not really any element of that in her performance though. I think they capture Thor very well. I think Cap is spot on. Iron Man sort of redefined the comics character. Just if you listed all the elements that made Black Widow Black Widow, I don't think you find much of those personality traits in the movie version. 

I do agree with this.  Aside from saying she's Russian and having a spy/assassin type skill set, the character's mostly a blank slate. 

Honestly, I think the movies get Cap as a "man out of time" far better than most of the writers who have written his comic.

I'm getting a headache from reading Black Widow's retconned origin and trying to figure out how to square the timeline with the fact that she's generally drawn to look 40 at most (younger than that).   Looks like she would have been at least 20 when she joined the Black Widow program.  According to Marvel, she joined after World War II and had a husband for a couple of years before she threw herself completely into the program when he died.  I guess we're supposed to believe she didn't get thawed out much until after the fall of the Soviet Union?  Her post-defection timeline is kinda lengthy, though super hero timelines are worse than Dr, Who for playing fast and loose with that sort of thing, so I imagine they could claim she only defected a few years ago without too many issues.