DVDVR Message Board

It's pretty night and day how Shield has been the last 2 weeks compared to what it was before the break. Shield is now something I'm looking forward to watching instead of just watching because it's Marvel. I'm glad the show seems to finally be finding itself and getting in a groove so I can be incredibly disappointed when it inevitably doesn't get renewed for another season as all network shows I enjoy are. It's becoming an exciting show where things are actually happening.

I also really like that toned down the awfulness of FitSimmons and they no longer irritate the shit out of me. Skye is still the best character on the show but FitSimmons are coming on strong the last 2 weeks and so is Coulson.

I can't wait until Bill Paxton shows up

Man, don't tease us with speculation like that.  

So as it's become apparent that Variety's writer just didn't have enough information to write a proper headline (Joe Leydon, where are you?) I've been thinking more about Michael Douglas as Hank.  This is still pretty emphatically not my ideal situation, but I've long since made my peace with the fact that Wright (and probably Disney) wanted to do "To Steal an Ant-Man" and leave Hank as a forgotten hero of the 80s or before.  If we're going to be stuck with a geriatric, rather than prior-generation-but-still-hardcore, version of Pym I can think of dozens of actors I'd trust less than Douglas.

It's been known for years that the movie was going to have Scott in the present day and Hank as a guy from the past.

It's difficult to do when the original mentors someone and then replaces the original. Batman of the Future, The Mask of Zorro and Dick Grayson as Batman in Grant Morrison's Batman run suceeded doing it.

Sounds like the wait for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. return to the UK will be worth it so far.

• Like 1

I dunno, based solely on the promo, I'm expecting Stan.

This week's ep kept the action moving briskly, and there wasn't much to dislike.  There wasn't a whole lot I liked, though.  I did enjoy the evil millionaire guy telling the kids to start up the machine just to be a dick.  I hope he's not too closely tied to the Clairvoyant, since I think it's best to have discrete sources of evil. 

Oh, and May's revelation to Coulson was done in amusing fashion.  But it seems like the

"May is Skye's mother"

idea probably got shot down.  Not 100%, though.

Because most of us are expecting...an actual character. I think we all knew it was inevitable that Stan would make an appearance.

I'm not sure what about the phrasing "a special guest from Marvel" would make you think it's a character, but you're setting your expectations too high. It's Stan.

So if we could go back in time and make this episode the pilot, wouldn't we be much more invested in this series.  Not that it was some great hour of television, but for the first time it feels like they have direction.  If the first scene was Coulson in the car with the doctor that helped ressurect him and then just ran this episode as it was you would know how Coulson came back, May and Ward were sleeping together, Fitz/Simmons were basically the two best students at shield, and Skye is an orphan who may or may not have latent powers. That is a show you would watch, except whe got Coulson being uninteresting, May and Ward being stoic, Fitz/Simmons being annoying, and Skye being a generic computer hacker.  Hopefully this is a good sign for things to come, but they dropped the ball so fucking horribly in the beginning it may be too late.

• Like 1

If Michael Douglas is going to be Hank Pym, then can someone ask him to ask Catherine Zeta Jones if she would be the voice of Jocasta?

'Cause that would fucking rule.

They're seperated.

If Michael Douglas is going to be Hank Pym, then can someone ask him to ask Catherine Zeta Jones if she would be the voice of Jocasta?

They're seperated.

Doesn't mean they don't communicate with each other.

They're seperated.

Doesn't mean they don't communicate with each other.

It also doesn't mean his evil robot son with his brain patterns wouldn't totally program her personality/voice into his robot wife. 

• Like 1