DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-14-14

MGFanJay

Just playing catch-up on the show now. Went right to Cena/Bray, naturally.

The whole key to this story has been really subtle. Cena gave this really confused and puzzled look right at the end of the segment, when Bray started the "Whole World" song because he has followers. This isn't what Cena's used to seeing. He gave the same thing the last week, too, when he saw The Wyatts just crush him and his partners as the crowd was behind an evil religious cult leader.

Cena's never really played this vulnerable before, except when Wade Barrett indentured him.

This is a really interesting storyline. Cena can tell the jokes but Bray made "serious" Cena come out -- closer to the monster Bray sees lurking behind John's plastic soul. And Cena's slowly starting to unravel as he sees that a certain percentage of the WWE Universe believes in what Bray Wyatt is saying, and he doesn't and will never understand why.

But it's not really evolution though.  It's HHH plan number 17 to derail Bryan and it could be fine for that reason.  It's supposed to be kind of pathetic and obviously lame because he's stuck recreating this "thing" that isn't a "thing" anymore.  It's a guy he's been shitting on Kayfabe-wise for months, treating him like Reek...and this other guy who's a tatted up gassbag who disappointed him on his return.

But he's so flustered that now that he's stuck pretending that he totally respects those two idiots and that those three parts are still "Evolution."  He knows it's a lie and we know it's a lie.  

In storyline it's pretty funny and shows how much he's lost control and fallen back into old (dumb) habits since that Occupy Raw thing got to him.

Don't think of it as bad writers "bringing back Evolution."  Think of it as the HHH character (who is fantastic right now) doing something dumb because he's been outmaneuvered by the monsters he created.  It will be way more fun that way.

This is exactly how I saw it.

Bryan and the Shield have Hunter waaaay out of his comfort zone so he is scrambling for something (anything) to help him get control back. The Outlaws were just the start. There was a little hint of HBK coming in to help him out. Now Evolution reform.

Next up: Chyna and X-Pac.

But it's not really evolution though.  It's HHH plan number 17 to derail Bryan and it could be fine for that reason.  It's supposed to be kind of pathetic and obviously lame because he's stuck recreating this "thing" that isn't a "thing" anymore.  It's a guy he's been shitting on Kayfabe-wise for months, treating him like Reek...and this other guy who's a tatted up gassbag who disappointed him on his return.

But he's so flustered that now that he's stuck pretending that he totally respects those two idiots and that those three parts are still "Evolution."  He knows it's a lie and we know it's a lie.  

In storyline it's pretty funny and shows how much he's lost control and fallen back into old (dumb) habits since that Occupy Raw thing got to him.

Don't think of it as bad writers "bringing back Evolution."  Think of it as the HHH character (who is fantastic right now) doing something dumb because he's been outmaneuvered by the monsters he created.  It will be way more fun that way.

This is exactly how I saw it.

Bryan and the Shield have Hunter waaaay out of his comfort zone so he is scrambling for something (anything) to help him get control back. The Outlaws were just the start. There was a little hint of HBK coming in to help him out. Now Evolution reform.

Next up: Chyna and X-Pac.

next up? Regal and a reunion of the Regal/Levesque tag team from 1994

• Like 2

So did Nikki wrestle in the dark match cause other wise why was she in her gear during the opening?

Maybe John Cena likes banging her in the back in the locker room with her gear on. I smell a storyline for an episode of Total Divas.

Barrett/Ziggler was damn good. Cesaro/Henry was fun enough, needed more time.  Cesaro vs. either Sheamus or Barrett would be a damn good tourney final.  Why this tournament exists is beyond me though. 

The beatdown was decentish, and FUCK YEAH LINE IN THE SAND.  Best thing about Evolution was the theme song.  MOTORHEAD!!!~!!!!!

Otherwise...  Uh, I guess there was a show or something.

I think what this episode of Raw really showed, is that they should have went full steam ahead with the Cesaro face turn.

There's an overabundance of heels currently with Bryan, Cena and the Shield being the only faces, who are booked strong at the moment.

Especially with Punk gone, Cesaro could have filled the gap. Yesterday the fans didn't know, wether to cheer or to boo him, instead there was mostly silence, which isn't good.

Even the booking team doesn't seem to know what to do, since he was booked against faces in the IC tournament, but wasn't out there with the other heels in the main event.

Alicia and Paige were really good. And nice to see Paige break out the Bull Nakano tribute submission again. I much prefer that to the Paige Turner. I can only assume that AJ is off plotting revenge?

I can see Paige vs. AJ Lee in a submission match at Extreme Rules.

• Like 1

Paige is already 5 times more over than Emma is.

Also, I don't think they've realized than Santino & Emma vs. Fandango & Partner stops being funny after seeing it for two months in a row.

Well yeah. Paige hasn't been paired with fucking Santino in 2014.

That picture of Evolution backstage is boss.

I enjoyed Raw, seemingly more than most of y'all. I marked huge when the Evolution theme hit and I didn't even enjoy Evolution during their initial run. Sure, I miss Flair, but I'm just giddy for future Shield v. Evolution matches.

I'm not looking forward to Kane v. Bryan. Did they tease that match for next week or was the tease just that Kane was gonna wear the mask again and it's gonna be Kane v. Bryan at Extreme Rules?

I thought the crowd was hot early but died as the show progressed. That's gonna happen on a three hour Raw.

Loved Ziggles/Barrett getting a lot of time. Hope they decide to either give Ziggler more TV time or have him form a tag team. I hope they eventually unify the US and IC Titles as the UnitedContinental Title or something. I know they've joked about Ambrose never defending the US Title but it really is nothing more than a prop at this point. A meaningful midcard title and more emphasis on the tag division is almost the only thing I wish they'd focus on going forward.

Paige is already 5 times more over than Emma is.

Also, I don't think they've realized than Santino & Emma vs. Fandango & Partner stops being funny after seeing it for two months in a row.

Well yeah. Paige hasn't been paired with fucking Santino in 2014.

That picture of Evolution backstage is boss.

I enjoyed Raw, seemingly more than most of y'all. I marked huge when the Evolution theme hit and I didn't even enjoy Evolution during their initial run. Sure, I miss Flair, but I'm just giddy for future Shield v. Evolution matches.

I'm not looking forward to Kane v. Bryan. Did they tease that match for next week or was the tease just that Kane was gonna wear the mask again and it's gonna be Kane v. Bryan at Extreme Rules?

On RAW next week according to WO/F4W. I can see it going to a non-finish to set up a gimmick rematch at Extreme Rules.

This week in "Go away, Lawler" : making fun of Rusev's high-waisted trunks and comparing him to his grandfather. Way to put over the company's new monster. Although Cole and JBL immediately calling him on it and daring him to get in the ring and tell Rusev his trunks are dumb almost made up for it.

Between that and Cole giving Big E his last name back in the tournament intro and then making up for it by refusing to use a pronoun and repeating "Big E!" about 80 times the rest of the show, it would have been a good week for mute.

I loved The Shiled vs Smiling baby-face team/Bryan handicapped match from Chicago and was kind of hoping the main event would resemble that a little more.  I dugged that Titus- Reigns smack talk moment even if it was just for a split second.

This Bry-Cena feud has to end only after The Wyatts have attacked/stalked/kidnapped Nikki Bella  to release Cena's true inner monster. I thought it was interesting that Cena wasn't featured more heavily on this show in the absences of Bryan but I think it was a wise choice. I can't think of any other major company draw in the last 25 years who would be so willing to take a step to the side to let someone like Daniel Bryan shine.

Missed last night to perform my tribesmanly duties, but I love how wrestling has progressed from "That guy has music- he must be special!" to "That guy doesn't have music- he must be special!"

This week in "Go away, Lawler" : making fun of Rusev's high-waisted trunks and comparing him to his grandfather. Way to put over the company's new monster. Although Cole and JBL immediately calling him on it and daring him to get in the ring and tell Rusev his trunks are dumb almost made up for it.

Between that and Cole giving Big E his last name back in the tournament intro and then making up for it by refusing to use a pronoun and repeating "Big E!" about 80 times the rest of the show, it would have been a good week for mute.

He really needs to go.  The WWE has a product for the first time since the 90s that people will admit to watching, but then you tune in and Lawler's commentary is just so embarrassing.  He was bragging on Austin's podcast about how he does now preparation before a show, as if you really can't tell.

I find it funny that Alvarez is outraged of the thought of Sheamus going to a Toys R Us in his wrestling outfit.  I guess it is the area because I would think in Alabama if you saw Big E walking to a toy store with his ring gear and huge man boobs and really short wrestling tights that would cause a lot more terror than some pasty white guy with orange hair.   :D

So what does Paige call that submission? If that's stolen from Bull Nakano then sadly that shows how little of her matches I've seen. I saw that and said to my dad, who was watching for a minute with me, "I've watched a ton of lucha and I've NEVER seen that."