DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 11: Werdum vs. Browne (4/19/2014) - Orlando, FL (Amway Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

There's no one at 155 lbs. aside from Gil that deserves a title shot as much as Khabib does.

Gilbert doesn't even deserve a shot right now.  His lone UFC win is Diego Sanchez, LOL!

Gil was the most dominant Strikeforce lightweight, was the last Strikeforce lightweight champion, lost a close decision to Bendo that could've gone either way and I believe he should've rightfully gotten an immediate title shot like some other fighters have, yet he didn't and then yeah, he beat Diego to a bloody pulp.

Sure that's still not justifiable reasons to earn yourself a title shot, but that's a lot more than others who've earned title shots have actually done.

So Werdum's reward for beating up Browne for 25 minute is getting treated like JDS for 25 minutes in return by Cain in Mexico.

There's no one at 155 lbs. aside from Gil that deserves a title shot as much as Khabib does.

Gilbert doesn't even deserve a shot right now.  His lone UFC win is Diego Sanchez, LOL!

Gil was the most dominant Strikeforce lightweight, was the last Strikeforce lightweight champion, lost a close decision to Bendo that could've gone either way and I believe he should've rightfully gotten an immediate title shot like some other fighters have, yet he didn't and then yeah, he beat Diego to a bloody pulp.

Huh? Gilbert got an immediate title shot right when he came to the UFC.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Huh? Gilbert got an immediate title shot right when he came to the UFC.

I meant immediate rematch with Bendo.

Even better then not getting a post fight interview, at the press conference Dana basically trashed Werdum's performance. Saying Travis broke his hand, and rib (I gotta think this could have been from a vicious body kick he took early on) He says Werdum probably should have finished him, and was fighting a smart fight.... Dana White folks. 

I don't for one second think either Cain or JDS are any sort of untouchable for the rest of the division.

Couldn't agree more. Nobody is untouchable at HW. Cain is awesome, but he also had trouble finishing JDS's corpse, and was still eating shots. Not to mentions his surgeries have to be adding up. 

Dana White indirect translation: I wanted Travis Browne to beat Fabricio Werdum.

After that fight against Verdum I don't know why you would want Browne vs Cain.  Sure it is going to be a classic in the first round or so but it is obvious that Browne after the 2nd round is going to gas out like crazy.   Cain just starts get warmed up when Browne starts to sucking wind and heaving heavily.

Jesus, Dana never hides his feelings does he?  I could agree if he said Werdum coasted in the last two rounds (he did), but to claim he fought that entire fight safe is ridiculous.  And then to give excuses for Browne?  Ugh.

Two of the biggest names you listed were associated with wrestling. Ortiz got his shine off the first Shamrock fight after they built him up when they were on FSN. Lesnar's is self-explanatory.

I don't think they necessarily done a terrible job marketing the next generation, but they need to reduce their priorities. With the number of shows they're running in a given time period, one or two shows are going to take a nosedive either at the gate or somewhere else.

Ortiz, for example, only became successful because they shafted Liddell. Even though Liddell got the Belfort fight on FSN, he should have been fighting Tito much earlier than UFC 47. All their marketing was geared towards Ortiz vs._________. The stuff on Best Damn Sports Show was more effective than anything they did for Liddell before late 2006/early 2007. Liddell had to share the spotlight with Tito and Randy for the better part of two and a half years. Once the balance truly shifted to Chuck, it was right before he fought Ortiz again and Rampage. When Forrest beat Rampage, I think it threw the balance of popularity off wack in the LHW division because people clearly knew Forrest wasn't the guy. It's the whole pro wrestling view of things. Even though you have the title, the people don't have to accept you from a business standpoint. The same applies to anyone in a title eliminator. People don't legitimately see Travis Browne (and Werdum because he was out for 10 months) as this monster when they know Cain is the monster they bill him as.

In the LHW division, the UFC is in a tough spot where they have to hype Glover AND Gustafsson. I see fans bitching all the time on Twitter about UFC not hyping Gustafsson like Jon isn't fighting Glover in Baltimore. It's ridiculous. They tried to get something out of Gustafsson at the Abu Dhabi show when they interviewed him, and he had nothing to say. He had TWO shots (post fight after Manuwa and at Minotauro/Nelson) to say something meaningful to get people fired up and he blew them both. It ain't their fucking fault. It's his. After watching Hopkins last night, Zuffa needs to hire him to speak at the Fighter Summit on how to conduct an interview. Roughly 75% of the UFC guys and girls are tragedy on the mic.

But hey, if we're going by the Ortiz logic, the UFC should be only hyping Jones. However, we know that's stupid to do and a fallacy. The stuff that made those guys listed above stars isn't completely applicable to everyone today. There is no one formula which works everytime.

• Like 3

He lost to Bigfoot in 2012 and Browne injured himself in that fight. Browne has had three straight one round knockouts since then, the best of these being the insanely awesome fight against Reem where he weathered the storm and knocked Reem out. Browne is pretty fucking awesome.

Dana?

Well, I said this before the fight even happened and didn't even make a prediction with this post. Everything I said in that post was true too. Sorry I lacked a fucking crystal ball to see into the future where Browne couldn't beat Werdum.