DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 11: Werdum vs. Browne (4/19/2014) - Orlando, FL (Amway Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC on FOX 11

UFC on Fox 11: Werdum vs. Browne
April 19, 2014
Orlando, FL (Amway Center)

Fabricio Werdum (232.5) vs. Travis Browne (245.5) - Werdum, DEC (unanimous)
Miesha Tate (135.5) vs. Liz Carmouche (135) - Tate, DEC (unanimous)
Donald Cerrone (155.5) vs. Edson Barboza (156) - Cerrone, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:15)
Brad Tavares (185) vs. Yoel Romero (185.5) - Romero, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Rafael dos Anjos (155.5) vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov (155.5) - Nurmagomedov, DEC (unanimous)
Thiago Alves (170.5) vs. Seth Baczynski (170.5) - Alves, DEC (unanimous)               
Jorge Masvidal (155.5) vs. Pat Healy (156) - Masvidal, DEC (unanimous)                
Estevan Payan (146) vs. Alex White (146) - White, TKO (punches), R1 (1:28)               
Caio Magalhães (185.5) vs. Luke Zachrich (185.5) - Magalhães, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:44)                
Jordan Mein (170.5) vs. Hernani Perpétuo (170.5) - Mein, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Dustin Ortiz (125.5) vs. Ray Borg (125.5) - Ortiz, DEC (split)              
Mirsad Bektić (146) vs. Chas Skelly (145) - Bektić, DEC (majority)                
Derrick Lewis (256) vs. Jack May (252.5) - Lewis, TKO (punches), R1 (4:23)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Alex White
Performance of the Night: Donald Cerrone
Fight of the Night: Thiago Alves vs. Seth Baczynski

Attendance: 17,000
Gate: $1.65 million
Rating: 1.6 (2.5 million viewers)

Cancelled Bouts:
Estevan Payan vs. Sean Soriano - Injury to Soriano
Estevan Payan vs. Mike Brown - Injury to Brown
Jordan Mein vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio - Injury to Ponzinibbio
Amanda Nunes vs. Alexis Dufresne - Injury to Dufresne (Rib)
Caio Magalhães vs. Josh Samman - Injury to Samman (Torn Hamstring)

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Gotta agree with Striker. Romero is a joy to watch and Cerrone almost beheaded a man on Fox. Carmouche-Andrade was kinda forgettable other than Carmouche GnPing a much smaller woman. Carmouche looked pretty mediocre the fight after that. Tate is the only reason it's on the main card, and she has a losing UFC record.

Tate is the only reason it's on the main card, and she has a losing UFC record.

Not only a losing record but she has yet to earn a UFC victory.  She has gotten 2 high profile fights on cards so far and has yet to deliver a good peformance.  But hey she has a nice ass and was likable on TUF!!!

So you can pull for Werdum, who has done fuck all for almost a whole year, but it's hard to give a shit about a guy who has been a wrecking ball in the HW division?

• Like 1

They've really mishandled Werdum in my opinion.  The guy left the UFC and was successful in Strikeforce even though he lost a snoozer to Overeem in his last fight there but he came back into the UFC being thought of as one of the best HWs in the world.  Right away he has a great fight against Roy Nelson and looks amazing.  He turns around and fights a few months later in Brazil and then they put him on the shelf for a year for the TUF thing with Nog.  They completely wasted any momentum he had.  The guy should have been fighting for the title like two years ago but they instead had Frank Mir get a title shot while Werdum goes and fights Mike Russow.   

Since Werdum beat the hell out of Roy Nelson at UFC 143, Roy has fought six times.  Werdum has two fights since then.  I hope Werdum got compensated well for his coaching duty on TUF because if he would have fought the same amount of times as Roy Nelson in that time span he would have made at a minimum $400k in base salary. 

• Like 1

It's easy to pull for Werdum; dude has been around forever, fought a ton of big names, and is incredibly talented and likable. Travis Browne is just some tall beardo who lost to Big Foot. I dunno if I could pick him out of a lineup.

I think Craig's right, though, that most of his absence has been his decision. 

He lost to Bigfoot in 2012 and Browne injured himself in that fight. Browne has had three straight one round knockouts since then, the best of these being the insanely awesome fight against Reem where he weathered the storm and knocked Reem out. Browne is pretty fucking awesome.

• Like 2

I think this is Werdum's fight to lose. 2 of Browne's knockouts were I'd argue stupidity and stubbornness of the guys he was facing not giving up on the takedown, not mention no setups, just lunging for takedowns. 

Guest Edwin

Sooooo... Borg/Ortiz was a fun fight. Very close fight. I thought Borg did more than enough to deserve the decision, but I don't consider this a robbery. Round 1 was a toss up, Borg definitely won round 2 and Ortiz won round 3.

I have no idea how one of the judges scored Mein/Perpetuo for Perpetuo since Mein handily won that fight.

Caio's TKO was pretty sweet.

i thought Masvidal/Healy was a lot closer than the judges scored it. Glad Masvidal pulled out the win though.

Guest Edwin

Alves/Seth was an awesome fight. Despite getting tagged a couple of times, I thought Alves looked great in his return despite the extremely long layoff with all the injuries.

Seth put on an admirable performance too withstanding the beating his legs took due to Alves' heavy leg kicks.

I think some of Alves' performance can be attributed to the fact he clearly isn't as yoked out like he was in 2008-2011. He fought a strong competitive fight for three rounds and didn't fade. That's impressive for someone who has been out for two years.

Guest Edwin

There's no one at 155 lbs. aside from Gil that deserves a title shot as much as Khabib does.

Wrestling bears as an 8 year old kid has turned Khabib into a human bear.

If Rustam beats Bendo, I'm sure Khabib and him will sit at the top of 155 lbs. for many years.

If Bendo beats Rustam, I can see the UFC setting up Khabib/Bendo in a title eliminator.

Super fun card so far. I saw some people complaining about the Tate/Liz dec, I thought it was the right call. Only in this crazy sport can Liz's first round be worth as much as Tate's 3rd round though. 

Travis Browne is in Homer Simpson mode right now.  He is too big to take down but too damn exhausted to do anything else  Has Browne been exposed as a Shane Carwin like fighter?

And how can you possibly hate Verdum after that kip up.   :)

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Punching Travis Browne is like punching Egyptian pyramids.

I like the Carwin comparison though, except Carwin had more power and Browne is the overall better and more technical power, but I get the comparison in the sense that his cardio sucks, yet he's still really tough to finish and hard to takedown.

The Miesha/Liz decision went exactly as it should.

Travis Browne is in Homer Simpson mode right now

Dear God, yes. Dude really needed Moe to swoop in and save him

Kudos to Browne for having a Fujita-esque skull

(Speaking of Fujita, recommend everyone read Cracked.com feature, "Worst Life Ever: The Story of Kazuyuki Fujita's Skull". Came close to making me pee my pants)

EDIT: Congratulations to Travis Brown's skull for not shattering like Kevin Ware's leg during Werdum's blitz. WELL DONE, BONY NOGGIN

homer_simpson_xray.jpg