DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2014 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

I was 100% confident that Lucic would not be suspended for the spear. The NHL has a long history of not suspending guys for offenses committed against the Wings. Goes back to Malkin's automatic suspension in the Finals being overturned for no apparent reason and continues through this season with Datsyuk getting concussed by a blatant elbow with no suspension. A repeat offender like Lucic not being suspended for a blatant attempt to injure? Par for the course.

Interested in your thoughts on Thomas Holmstrom's act of intentionally falling on goalies trying to break their legs about once every career playoff game, and on the years Chris Chelios played for the heroic Red Wings.

If you could also add some thoughts on Shanahan, Konstantinov, Kronwall, McCarty, Draper, Premeau, Probert, and Bertuzzi that would also be excellent.

I mean, it's not like it's news NHL discipline is a joke, but the Red Wings of all teams crying foul based on historical precedent is the worst revisionist history.

Holmstrom may or may not have that which you accuse him of. If he did - and it's legitimately something I never noticed him doing - it would still be 1/20th what he took.

Chelios, Primeau, and Probert? Really? Fine. Then defend Terry O'Reilly. C'mon. Besides that, Probert had a reputation as a CLEAN player with Detroit. Nasty fighter but not a stick-in-the-balls guy.

Shanahan? Another guy that was tough but not dirty.

Kronwall? Because he used to hit in a way that's now illegal? Doesn't do it anymore.

Bertuzzi? A guy I hate having on the roster, which I've said many times. However, he's been a model citizen with Detroit.

Draper? Since when was he considered dirty?

McCarty and Konstantinov? I m might grant you those two though, again, we're talking a million years ago.

Then there's Boston who, at one time two years ago or so, had a roster where literally half the players had been suspended.

And even if we disagree on all that, it still doesn't change that Lucic - a repeat offender with previous fines and suspensions - somehow escaped real punishment for an egregious stick infraction. And that I knew that would be the outcome.

I cannot believe some of you guys are defending that shit just because you don't like Backes. That was disgusting.

Who said it was a clean hit? I said I can't muster any sympathy for Backes. That's a loooong stretch to "defending that shit".

Yep, the Pens losing a Game 2 is pretty much the least shocking thing ever.

Of course Human Turnover Machine Kris Letang was right there for the game winner. I sympathize with the kid coming back after a friggin' stroke but he's been brutal thus far. Giving him that extension is going to haunt them for years to come.

Yeah, even all the Blackhawks fans I know are in agreement that the hit was Seabrook's fault and that it was dirty. Most of them think he should have been suspended longer. I agree, it was a dirty hit that could have been super dangerous, and from every vantage point I've seen all of the blame should be placed on Seabrook.

Seabrook never left his feet, did not hit him from behind or along the boards, and only injured Backes cause he lowered his head bracing for the hit. It was a hard, clean hit that only went bad cause the dude ducked his head at the end.

Yeah, let's leave out the part where Seabrook led with his elbow. Or that numerous replays show Backes didn't duck down, and that Seabrook was clearly headhunting. None of that's pertinent I guess.

Or absolutely none of that. Seabrook was simply going for a hard hit, leading legally with the shoulder. Shame the dude ended up knocked silly, but that happens sometimes in hockey.

I'm going to have to chalk this up to being a delusional Blackhawks fan. There's no way anyone can watch that replay and honestly think that Seabrook didn't lead with his elbow, didn't leave his feet, or that Backes somehow ducked into the oncoming elbow. I just don't see how that's possible, not when the video evidence is right there that shows Seabrook leading with the elbow, leaving his feet, and Backes not adjusting at all as he gets cracked in the face by an elbow.