DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2014 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

Just as an addendum Kevin Weekes was on a radio/tv show, up here this afternoon and he had a lot of really interesting, trenchant comments about this, especially since I remember when he was coming up people questioned his 'attitude' because he was black and outspoken

May be an exception but I've found the people in Philly LOVE Wayne Simmonds. Every time I go down there him and Giroux have the most people rocking their jersey. I think most fans will get behind a player regardless of race if he gives it his all on the ice. Funniest thing is that if PK was a Bruin they'd probably love him.

Didn't a fan throw a banana at Simmonds (Not in Philly)? It might have been pre-season or something, I may be confusing it with something else

Yes, a preseason game in London, Ontario if memory serves. When they caught the guy who did it they should've locked him in a room with some Flyer fans. He wouldn't have made it out alive.

Didn't a fan throw a banana at Simmonds (Not in Philly)? It might have been pre-season or something, I may be confusing it with something else

Yes, a preseason game in London, Ontario if memory serves. When they caught the guy who did it they should've locked him in a room with some Flyer fans. He wouldn't have made it out alive.

The best part was his excuse was something along the lines of "I was just mad and trying to distract the opposing team. I didn't even see who was shooting & just happened to have a banana in my hand".

I don't think I've ever seen someone eating a banana at an NHL game.

As for players who get/got boo'ed a lot all over - Ulf Samuelsson? Sid the Kid gets hated on in lots of arenas these days. To say PK gets boo'ed because he's black is just typical wanting to be outraged over something that everyone is into these days. If you're trying to say NHL fans are racist why don't Ray Emery, Emerson Etem, Jarome Iginla, Ryan Reaves, Joel Ward, etc. get the same treatment? Answer: They don't play the way PK does. It's the way he plays that gets him boo'ed everywhere, not the color of his skin.

Did you forget the same shit happening to Joel Ward when he scored a Game 7 OT winner in 2012?

http://o.canada.com/news/racist-twitter-barrage-follows-black-washington-capitals-player-joel-wards-game-7-winning-goal

If I remember correctly when Ward got a penalty or turnover in the next series that cost the Caps a playoff game, a decent percentage of the people showing outrage for the Boston incident went to Twitter and doubled down on the racist crap.   So while I think Boston fans might be the #1 seed I think it is more than a league wide fans issue

There appear only two possible stories in this overtime now:

"Anaheim won due to overwhelming number of chances."

or

"Anaheim lost due to wasting overwhelming number of chances."

At least adjusting the article should be simple enough for the newspaper people. I know it's game one but I get the sense this next goal is massive in this series in terms of figuring out how it will play out.