DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2014 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

I am a Bruins fan, of sorts, but goddamn the reaction to PK Subban being the guy that beat them on social media is the most frightening white foke with pitchforks shit.

They do know they drafted his little brother, right? Fuck me.

• Like 1

I find it creepy that a stadium full of angry white people boo the only black player on the ice every time he touches the puck. So, fuck yes, Mr. Subban. Good on ya.

Bmmcy0mIMAAsIpZ.jpg

• Like 1

PK gets boo'ed everywhere pretty much these days. It's not a racist thing. It's that sometimes he acts like a piece of shit. The post-game reaction on twitter though... that's a racist thing. But such is life.

Great game. Price was incredible.

Laughing at the idea that Subban acts like "a piece of shit". Laughing doubly hard it's being said by the guy that went on record on the old forum that segregating black students in Toronto into their own classes was a good idea.

What's that now? I said that? I can't deny it since I don't remember it but clearly you're keeping tabs on me for some very creepy reason so feel free to dig it up and shame me. Personally I'd love to see the context as I tend to post about wrestling & hockey here and avoid any other forum.

As for Subban acting like a piece of shit: Taunting opponents, grabbing his sweater in front of opposing team's bench, taking cheap shots at other players, mouthing off to his own teammates & coaches on national TV... what a great guy!

As for players who get/got boo'ed a lot all over - Ulf Samuelsson? Sid the Kid gets hated on in lots of arenas these days. To say PK gets boo'ed because he's black is just typical wanting to be outraged over something that everyone is into these days. If you're trying to say NHL fans are racist why don't Ray Emery, Emerson Etem, Jarome Iginla, Ryan Reaves, Joel Ward, etc. get the same treatment? Answer: They don't play the way PK does. It's the way he plays that gets him boo'ed everywhere, not the color of his skin.

EDIT: "The way he plays" also means he plays well and usually burns other teams by scoring goals/making nice plays. Playing like a piece of shit & also being quite talented are not two mutually exclusive things.

Yeah but the reason is stands out more is because he's black.  I don't think everyone is being like those idiot Boston fans on Twitter but it's the type of subtle racism that creeps into a lot of people's minds.  Subban and Evander Kane act more like what people perceive black athletes act like while the others either aren't good enough players to be noticed or play the humble role.

Just imagine this scenario ... PK Subban scores a late game tying goal last night and makes a huge show doing finger gun salutes as a celebration.  Boston comes back and wins in OT.  I bet there would be at least several prominent hockey people talking about how Subban's celebration fired up the Bruins.  Instead Johnny Boychuk did that and nobody said anything at all.

• Like 2

As for players who get/got boo'ed a lot all over - Ulf Samuelsson? Sid the Kid gets hated on in lots of arenas these days. To say PK gets boo'ed because he's black is just typical wanting to be outraged over something that everyone is into these days. If you're trying to say NHL fans are racist why don't Ray Emery, Emerson Etem, Jarome Iginla, Ryan Reaves, Joel Ward, etc. get the same treatment? Answer: They don't play the way PK does. It's the way he plays that gets him boo'ed everywhere, not the color of his skin.

Did you forget the same shit happening to Joel Ward when he scored a Game 7 OT winner in 2012?

http://o.canada.com/news/racist-twitter-barrage-follows-black-washington-capitals-player-joel-wards-game-7-winning-goal

I'm a Bruins fan, and first off, the racist garbage is bullshit, clearly, but I think that it underlies a situation in the NHL (and obviously the other sports leagues as well,) that if you are a confident player, and are a person of colour, you're gonna get bad treatment even from your home team. Subban got thrown under the bus in a really absurd way with his contract issue (Josh Georges saying he didn't understand why PK 'sat out', I would hazard to say he 'sat out' because he was not under contract? And so he couldn't play?') Montreal fans wearing blackface to games (even as a 'support' move this is fucked), Evander Kane and the way Winnipeg treats him, and even Nazem Kardi gets a lot more 'Too flashy, bad attitude' comments then is in my opinion is warranted.

It's weird too because the NHL has been on the front lines of the gay rights issues, to be so behind the times in it's treatment of players of colour, is embarrassing.

Again all this said, the Actions of theBruins 'fans' was disgusting and I hope it doesn't seem like I am trying t minimize the situation, I just don't think it is isolated as some hockey media wants to act ike