DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2014 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

Pens/Jackets ended up being in HD on Channel 495 on Rogers. It's a generic sports channel. I get CHEX (I think...) but that channel wasn't airing it as advertised.

Montreal/Tampa was a great start to the playoffs but if Tampa plays that way again they are going out in 4. They also need Bishop back b/c I feel for Lindback facing 50 shots but he was really weak letting out rebounds and didn't look sharp overall.

Tough loss for Jackets.

I feel confident in my Dallas over Anaheim pick right now.

I stand by my original statement.

Getzlaf with a busted up jaw could be absolutely massive going forward. Dallas was the better team and could push this to seven.

Also, Corey Perry has the highest jerk rating in the league. I hate that dirty fuck. So many little douchey things he does that go uncalled. AND that punchable face.

I feel confident in my Dallas over Anaheim pick right now.

I stand by my original statement.

Getzlaf with a busted up jaw could be absolutely massive going forward. Dallas was the better team and could push this to seven.

Also, Corey Perry has the highest jerk rating in the league. I hate that dirty fuck. So many little douchey things he does that go uncalled. AND that punchable face.

I demand that the league introduce Jerk Rating as a new statistic. Top guy at the end of the season wins the Ulf Sammuelson Trophy.

• Like 1

To show how closely I have been paying attention this season, I just realized the Caps traded Mathieu Perreault to the Ducks for a bag of pucks. He put up 43 points this year 69 games. Why did the Caps get rid of him? He always looked like an ideal third line centre, responsible in his own end and enough skills to put up decent points on the opposition. Man, GMGM... shaking my dayum head.

Too many small guys, I think.  They also drafted some centres, right?  He just got squeezed out and was a Boudreau favourite from the minors.

Has a bit of the Welly's.  Not your typical third liner but maybe not quite good enough to be a second line centre.  Boudreau obviously doesn't care and will play just about anyone.

BTW, already one night in and my Twitter timeline is filled with "there's no such thing as clutch, you idiots, corsi, sample size, idiots."

The hockey metrics community is like 5 years behind the basketball metrics community in this shit.  They got over this phase of yelling at anyone who dared to say someone made a clutch shot. 

Can we just replace "clutch" with "important"? Clutch hints at some abstract skill that he/she comes up big in crucial moments. It's wildly inconsistent though, it just doesn't make any sense and you can't quantify it.

Speaking of Bwuce Boudweau (thanks Pierre!) and advanced stats, this is the second year in a row the Ducks have had a ridiculously high PDO (in other words, they've been extremely lucky according to shots for/against and goals for/against). Has he found a way to trump the idea of quantity over quality on a consistent basis? I know Carlyle would like to think he's done it the past few years but each time it's blown up in his face.

To show how closely I have been paying attention this season, I just realized the Caps traded Mathieu Perreault to the Ducks for a bag of pucks. He put up 43 points this year 69 games. Why did the Caps get rid of him? He always looked like an ideal third line centre, responsible in his own end and enough skills to put up decent points on the opposition. Man, GMGM... shaking my dayum head.

Too many small guys, I think.  They also drafted some centres, right?  He just got squeezed out and was a Boudreau favourite from the minors.

Has a bit of the Welly's.  Not your typical third liner but maybe not quite good enough to be a second line centre.  Boudreau obviously doesn't care and will play just about anyone.

What's actually weird is that Perreault actually WASN'T  a favourite of Boudreau in Washington.  Caps fans used to get annoyed at Boudreau scratching in favour of guys like Jay Beagle and Perreault basically mused that he wanted out of Washington at one point, so many were laughing when Perreault was dealt to Washington saying "Poor Perreault is going to wind up on the bench again" but at least one can see that Perreault doesn't hold a grudge.

In news that confuses the hell out of me, all Blues players except Berglund were full contact in practice, and we are expected to have all of them for game 1

Actually the Blues are now saying both Berglund and Oshie are out tonight.

BTW, already one night in and my Twitter timeline is filled with "there's no such thing as clutch, you idiots, corsi, sample size, idiots."

The hockey metrics community is like 5 years behind the basketball metrics community in this shit.  They got over this phase of yelling at anyone who dared to say someone made a clutch shot. 

God, hockey metrics people are the worst.  I want to like Corsi, Fenwick, etc. etc. but they all have such a terrible condescending attitude about it, I find myself arguing with them just on a "This dude is annoying" level.

• Like 1

David Perron is an awesome jerk. That was one of the things we learned in Edmonton this year.

Also I agree with Charlie, my issue with advanced stats in hockey isn't advanced stats. It's that so many of the people using them have no idea what to do with them, and the dumb fights that ensue. It will catch up eventually.

• Like 2

Great, another year of people hopping on the Bruins bandwagon after not watching a single fucking game in the regular season.

I'll admit that's me this year. But as a Calgary fan, cheering for Iginla to win the cup is pretty much all I have at this point.

The Bruins are my back-up team (After my Oilers inevitably fail) and I really want to see them go to the finals, but I'm leaning toward San Jose as the team I most want to win the Cup to eradicate all those years of "The Sharks are chokers! Joe Thornton can't win."  Also, to see how Joe Thornton celebrates after his suggestion of how he'd celebrate if he scored 4 goals...

• Like 2

The Bruins are my back-up team (After my Oilers inevitably fail) and I really want to see them go to the finals, but I'm leaning toward San Jose as the team I most want to win the Cup to eradicate all those years of "The Sharks are chokers! Joe Thornton can't win."  Also, to see how Joe Thornton celebrates after his suggestion of how he'd celebrate if he scored 4 goals...

I don't dislike the Sharks anywhere near as much since they got rid of scumbag Heatley. That being said, their ability to choke year after year is highly amusing and I hope it never ends.

I'm actually the opposite of Caley, Bruins fan but the Oilers are my back up, but if the Bruins don't win, which as a Bruins fan I know is impossible, but if it does happen I'd like to see Jumbo Joe get a ring cause he's always bee a good dude and he got shafted in Beantown