DVDVR Message Board

Posting spoilers to television shows and movies

Are there rules to this sort of thing? Yeah, I know I'm "bitching" as has been said but it really is irritating. People are continuously posting spoilers in the Game of Thrones thread. We split the threads into two so that the guys who have read the books could discuss them there and the people who haven't could have their own "clueless" thread and discussions about the show. Obviously that didn't work because the book readers still feel the need to enter the thread and start posting what happens next.

Jae?

Personally, i am pro-spoiler, but i also try not to ruin things for people unless the ask.

Perhaps a topic for another day, but i think the whole spoiler hysteria is a symptom of 21st century entitlement culture. As someone who grew up in the pre-internet era, i read plot synopsis of books and movies and tv shows all the time before i ever saw them, because who knew when you could read some out of print book or movie from the 1940s.

But now? With "everything available," people want to consume entertainment at their own pace and if anyone dares violate that, they cry foul.

• Like 3

This is a little different than that, Odessa. I get what you're saying. If I mention something that happened in oh fuck I don't know the movie Se7en. I'll feel bad if someone hadn't seen it but it's like dude.. how long has that movie been out?

This is different because 1. We setup the threads so that people who want to go in fresh can do that and 2. The shows that will play out a certain story arc have not yet aired. The books have been out for a long time but the show just signed on for two more seasons. It will be around for a long time but someone right now could spoil all future episodes if they felt like it.

There are no set rules.

I understand you what you are saying but it is always going to be difficult when you are talking a book or movie where the source material is a know entity.

My personal feeling is this. Because of my paranoia - I would never go into a thread of something I was planning on watching/enjoying because I would always assume something somehow will be spoiled.

The same goes for being on social media as the event is going on.

• Like 3

The GoT threads were made specifically to avoid these kinds of issues. I would say as it pertains specifically to that subject, people need to respect that division, and generally respect each other a little more. This board is generally pretty good about tiptoeing around spoilers and it's been self-policed pretty effectively. 

Bottom Line: Just stop being dicks to each other. 

On one hand it's really annoying when you have some moron on the interwebz that needs to press buttons so very badly that they just can't wait to spoil things for everyone, but on the other hand... well, I just started the books. Don't get the TV show here. And I damn well know better than to click on a GoT thread, because you just know said morons abound. It's just easiest to avoid the whole thing and come back to it later.

It's a LOT harder on twitter. Also, if you live on the east coast and live tweet TV shows that are running on a multiple time zone schedule, you're not smart enough to be allowed onto the internet. Seriously.

On one hand it's really annoying when you have some moron on the interwebz that needs to press buttons so very badly that they just can't wait to spoil things for everyone, but on the other hand... well, I just started the books. Don't get the TV show here. And I damn well know better than to click on a GoT thread, because you just know said morons abound. It's just easiest to avoid the whole thing and come back to it later.

It's a LOT harder on twitter. Also, if you live on the east coast and live tweet TV shows that are running on a multiple time zone schedule, you're not smart enough to be allowed onto the internet. Seriously.

It amazes me how desperate people are to be superior. The nudge nudge wink wink stuff in the build up to a GOT episode last year was pretty much unbearable and it's like everyone has to be all "HAW HAW JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH THIS CHARACTER" ostensibly so they can be the SEE WHAT I MEAN guy.

GOT in particular attracts those people but I think it's because it's hardcore nerd weird shit that attracts the very worst of humanity. I never get that same vibe from other show discussion threads. The Wire one was pretty decent.

This is my view and I think it should extend to twitter and such also and that's a 24hr grace period. I know a bunch of people on the west coast that were annoyed by the people 'live-tweeting' GoT last night because it was still an hour plus before they could watch it.

Is there a perfect fix no I know I went totally off the grid two superbowld ago (Ravens vs 49ers) cause I had to work and wanted to watch it. And that sucked but it was my choose. I haven't had a chance to watch GoT but I know what happened cause there was no way not to between Facebook and twitter last night which sucked.

There are no set rules.

I understand you what you are saying but it is always going to be difficult when you are talking a book or movie where the source material is a know entity.

My personal feeling is this. Because of my paranoia - I would never go into a thread of something I was planning on watching/enjoying because I would always assume something somehow will be spoiled.

The same goes for being on social media as the event is going on.

Yeah, that. I'm not so much about the episodic television, but I know when I DVR a sporting event I plan to watch later, I don't go in the threads for that sport cuz duh.

I recognize that GoT is a little different because there are books and shit, though weirdly enough my sympathy is reduced further cuz books > TV.

It amazes me how desperate people are to be superior. The nudge nudge wink wink stuff in the build up to a GOT episode last year was pretty much unbearable and it's like everyone has to be all "HAW HAW JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH THIS CHARACTER" ostensibly so they can be the SEE WHAT I MEAN guy.

GOT in particular attracts those people but I think it's because it's hardcore nerd weird shit that attracts the very worst of humanity. I never get that same vibe from other show discussion threads. The Wire one was pretty decent.

Irony, thy name is FSW.

• Like 1

Irony, thy name is FSW.

Feel free to point out an example of me being the JUST WAIT AND SEE guy.

Frankly, this thread is built out of a phenomenal overreaction. However, after the last bit of blatant insults from FSW, I've had enough. Anytime he antagonizes me, I'm sending him spoilers. 

• Like 1

The issue with the GoT spoilers is that due to the books, things still get spoiled for people even though they're all caught up with the show. Why should non-book readers have to avoid the non-book thread? Isn't the purpose of having the two threads so that folks who read the books and want to talk about the TV show's interpretation and all that have a thread for discussion, while the people that are following along exclusively through the HBO series have a separate thread for discussion? I mean, it's not like folks are complaining because they're an episode or two behind and had something spoiled for them that already aired. GoT is just a little different than the standard spoiler situation.

• Like 1

The issue with the GoT spoilers is that due to the books, things still get spoiled for people even though they're all caught up with the show. Why should non-book readers have to avoid the non-book thread? Isn't the purpose of having the two threads so that folks who read the books and want to talk about the TV show's interpretation and all that have a thread for discussion, while the people that are following along exclusively through the HBO series have a separate thread for discussion? I mean, it's not like folks are complaining because they're an episode or two behind and had something spoiled for them that already aired. GoT is just a little different than the standard spoiler situation.

1,000,000 times this. I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask book readers not to spoil things that will happen in future episodes.

1,000,000 times this. I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask book readers not to spoil things that will happen in future episodes.

Rev can't help it, being a knowitall cool guy on the internet is the only way he can be a knowitall cool guy.

If you haven't seen a movie or show that is already out or has already aired then you go into threads discussing them at your own risk.  Should you be in a different time zone or not caught up yet, then it's not that hard to just stay out of a thread until after you've seen everything.  Talking about what will happen in a future episode, based on either the source material, rumors, or advanced screenings constitutes spoilers, discussing what's going on live or posting about all the plot points in an episode immediately afterwards isn't a spoiler.