DVDVR Message Board

LUCHA Tuesday 7/23/13

Phil Schneider

Rey Escorpion/Negro Casas/Averno v. Blue Panther/Super Porky/Rush 7/12Not as great as your other Rush v. Casas trios this month, but it is a Rush v. Casas trio. Really fun to see Porky show up and throw blows in a proper brawl. Thought Averno dragged things down a bit, and it was a bit short, but the Casas v. Rush sections are as violent as you would hope.

Negro Casas, Mr. Aguila & Rey Bucanero vs. Blue Panther, Rush & Maximo- 7/14

Totally awesome stuff and I am loving that we are getting weekly versions of this. Really liked Aguila in this, as he was timing all of these awesome out of nowhere dropkicks. Maximo has really come into his own too, and of course Rush v. Casas is the best thing going by far.

No IWRG this week, so I am not sure what else I am going to check out, so looking for suggestions

Rush/Maximo/Thunder vs Psicosis/Kraneo/Mr. Niebla - 7/16/13

Rush takes a break from destroying Negro Casas and basically makes this match into something. He & Niebla lay into each other, he murders Psicosis in the 3rd fall and somehow finds time in between to throw Mije into the guardrail and kick Zacarias in the face. ALL IN A DAY'S WORK FOR RUSH!

That 7/14 match was great. Loved when they spilled into the crowd and Aguila ambushes Rush from behind. Also when things broke down and the mascots were going at it at the same time everyone else was. Great visual.

I'm gonna disown CMLL if they just drop this mix of guys and feud with Rush with that bum Tanihashi when he comes down in August.

Submitted for your amusement, the opinions of an uneducated lucha fan.

Bengala & Milenium vs Cholo & Siki Osama Jr.  - 07/17/13

Any match that shows intros is always appreciated by me; as we all know the luchadors with the best look/intro music are bound to win.  This is a tough call as the music is a push (generic techno vs generic hip-hop) so it all comes down to Cholo's mask with sunglasses versus Bengala's CPA by day/Lucha Bengal by night look.  It took much deliberation but I went with Bengala here.  Also I have no idea what a Siki Osama is, but it's pretty large.

Pretty much a blink and you'll miss it opener peppered with some fun.  Cholo pretty much squashes Milenium in their first fall exchange.  Bengala looks like he might be fun with guys who can do more then his opponents in this match.  I kind of hope Milenium is a new guy because he hits some cool armdrags in the second fall that couldn't have been easy to pull off, yet everything else he does in the match is just so-so.  As for the rudos, I don't really have anything to say good or bad; they were just there.

If there is such a thing as a Bengala completionist or if like me you enjoy watching luchadors you've never seen before then by all means give it a watch.  Otherwise...well you're probably not going to watch this anyway.

Black Metal (Guadalajara), Pegasso, Tritón vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Espíritu Maligno, Skándalo - CMLL Puebla 6/24

This was really fun, man what a great rudo trio, I am a big fan of Maligno and Babaro and I like that they are getting to work on a bigger stage the opening fall exchanges were really slick and the finish was nice and crazy

I guess I'll continue on with the Puebla show, so that leads us to:

Dalis la Caribena/Luna Magica/Lluvia vs Amapola/Princessa Sugheit/La Vaquerita

This match would have been awesome as a tag match; as you see it's not so there are some problems here.  The biggest is Luna Magica, who is just not good here.  And I don't mean in that "botches every move and nearly kills everyone" way; more like she's just so tentative at everything she does.  There's always an awkward pause or she does something just a beat out of sync that just ruins the flow of things.  Case in point being a larger girl her doing something like a cartwheel dodge should be impressive, sort of like when Bam Bam Bigelow did them back in the day.  Yet it comes off more like a kid trying it for the first time and not quite knowing what to do.  Dalis was okay, but nothing special and I feel like Vaquerita would be better served by being a technica considering how much she was playing to the fans.  But to be fair Lluvia, Amapola and Sugheit brought the goods and were fun to watch and the match was helped by the fact that they mic'ed the ring so every impact sounded massive (I don't remember the opener sounding like that).

So if this match had been Lluvia/La Vaquerita vs Amapola/Princess Sugheit it would have rocked.   As you can see it was not.

Super bonus lunchtime review extrodinaire!  

Black Metal/Pegasso/Triton vs Barbaro Cavernario/Espiritu Maligno/Skandalo

Entrances are back for this match and Rudos win it in a big way.  Not much can beat the combo of Maligno and Skandalo's masks.  The thing is Phil summed this match up perfectly above me, this is tons of fun and everybody does some real slick stuff.  I liked that Black Metal and Triton actually set up the "opponent gets caught in the ropes and hit with guillotine legdrop" bit that can come off really contrived a lot of the time.  I also dug the struggle over the finish at the end, it was cool to see someone try and fight out of a move instead of just eating it.

Espiritu Maligno was great here and I'm definitely going to add him to my list of people worth watching.

I watched that Konnan Big match and had no clue what to make of it.  Seconds in and a woman is being dropped off a ten foot balcony, then most of the match consists of seconds beating the fuck out of each other.  Probably the most ECWish match I have watched in a while.

Here is what I wrote about the awesome Puebla trios when I watched it on Tue

I really enjoyed this. It's not the sort of thing that is likely to pop up on a ton of MOTY lists at the end of the year, but it really felt like six guys who maybe don't get the chances other guys do going out there and busting their ass. The technicos were all flashy fliers which was basically the perfect contrast to a rudo team that includes some great bases and cranky bastards. Maligno was good in this, but Skandalo looked really sharp and Cavernario was excellent. Makes me want to go back and see if I've missed anything else he's done this year as he was just an aggressive prick in this and the master off the cheap shop. He was also incredible as a base. In general I thought the match was laid out well and I really liked the finish on the final fall a ton. Good stuff. 

Rush takes a break from destroying Negro Casas and basically makes this match into something. He & Niebla lay into each other, he murders Psicosis in the 3rd fall and somehow finds time in between to throw Mije into the guardrail and kick Zacarias in the face. ALL IN A DAY'S WORK FOR RUSH!

Yeah this was well worth watching pretty much all for Rush. He is getting into Terry Funk territory where his shtick is so entertaining that It literally doesn't matter who he is in with. Loved him chucking around midgets, and going at Niebla. Their slap exchange with Niebla spitting in his face, and Rush cracking him with the superkick was great. Hadn't seen Thunder before, he had a nice lariat, who is that dude?

Yeah this was well worth watching pretty much all for Rush. He is getting into Terry Funk territory where his shtick is so entertaining that It literally doesn't matter who he is in with. Loved him chucking around midgets, and going at Niebla. Their slap exchange with Niebla spitting in his face, and Rush cracking him with the superkick was great. Hadn't seen Thunder before, he had a nice lariat, who is that dude?

Thunder is an Australian and that's about all we know. CMLL said he's been wrestling for five years before coming to CMLL, but we went thru the roster of every Australian indy promotion we could find and nothing matched up. Also, he generally wrestles like a guy who was trained for maybe six weeks before CMLL put him in the ring.