DVDVR Message Board

Mad Men: The Final Season (Part One)

Petey

The Joan stuff was still weird tough. I remember Don being the only guy telling her NOT to sleep with the guy at the end of an episode and then they showing what happened earlier (that Joan already had slept with the guy).

I need to re-watch Seasons 5 and 6.

EDIT: Same kid Bobby btw! He escaped the curse and he's actually pretty good.

Yeah, I was wondering too why Joan and Peggy were fairly bitchy to Draper, as I remember him basically being the only guy there who gave them a chance and championed their work, but I guess I forgot about the Jaguar thing too.

Still not sure Peggy's reaction feels right though. Sure, they've butted heads a few times, but he's always stood up for her work, or pushed her hard to do better. Plus, when she secretly had a baby years ago, he was the one who kept that secret.

Peggy blames Don for ruining her relationship with Ted Chaough and pushing him out to California.

The Joan stuff was still weird tough. I remember Don being the only guy telling her NOT to sleep with the guy at the end of an episode and then they showing what happened earlier (that Joan already had slept with the guy).

I need to re-watch Seasons 5 and 6.

EDIT: Same kid Bobby btw! He escaped the curse and he's actually pretty good.

I was about to post this as well. Also, the guy for Jaguar was rather sleazy, so I think he would have played that card anyways. 

Should we get Neil Patrick Harris to make a cameo and hand Don the Winged Eagle belt?

I really enjoyed the episode last night when it didn't involve Ginsberg.

Poor Peggy.

What a shitty way for Ginsberg to go out. I wonder if that's rooted in reality. Were there cases of people freaking out when those giant computers came into offices? That hum would be an annoying change.

I'm not sure Peggy blames Don for her relationship with Ted ending. I think Peggy and Cutler both hate the influence Don had on Ted. Ted was a good, solid man before he met Don. Then after Don he's a terrible drunk, cheating on his wife.

Lou is so perfectly cast. That guy looks plucked out of the late 60's for one. For two he's such an unlikable dick. He's got a real I want to punch him in the face face.

You always hear Game of Thrones has too many characters, I can't keep track! Mad Men rolls just as deep. I love how layered both shows are.

Ginsberg was never sound, then the whole computer business just made him snap. Still, one of my favorite characters on the show.

When Stephanie appeared on screen I went "who in the fuck?" but after a nice hard think it came to me.

All you fuckers talkin' shit 'bout Don this Don that, Old Don this Old Don that, fuck y'all. Dat ending was pimp.

I've been so bored with this season. We only have what 8 episodes left and I feel like o thing has happened. Dons plot has moved a few inches at best. There is a ton of shit they focus on for an entire episode and then ignore it (Rogers daughter) I was excited for this to come back but it's a shell of its former self.

Having always loved the relationship between Peggy and Don and all its quirks, that was a cool ep. She finally just said "what goes on in your head" which is the whole point of the series and gets a small tutorial, at least in a business sense. 

This season has been a little slow but I love all these characters so much it hardly matters.

Happiness and wether it's real of fake seemed at the heart of this episode. Both Don and Megan act as if they are happy with each other, maybe at times even fooling themselves. They clearly aren't happy though. Pete is trying to convince himself that the young blonde is making him happy but the fact he isn't divorced yet shows he's lying. Bob Benson is willing to forego happiness for career and wants to drag Joan along with.

Some mentioned how they didn't follow up on the Roger and his daughter storyline. What was left to say?

I'm beginning to think the ending is going to be a huge disappointment with a majority of the audience/critics. I just don't see a way to wrap it up that will be satisfying and meaningful.

Honestly the show started to fall off with the merger. We got a TON more characters dropped in that weren't needed. Seriously Ted is in a half a scene a show this season and even last season outside of the affair with Peggy or whatever you want to call it (I can't remember if they actually had sex or did anything besides kiss). The other guys on the show I don't even think I know their names. Plus we I think I enjoyed Peggy being the Don of another agency more so than getting jobbed out for lack of a better term and being right back under Don and Lou and who knows who else. 

Pete has been irrelevant this season and he was always been a bright spot for me. Don's arc might be ok but for the final season its just not what I want to see. He still hasn't really "hulked up". Sure you can see it coming and he's had some great scenes (the Phillip Morris scene was great) honestly to me that might be the only stand out scene he's had this year. 

The stuff like Rogers daughter and Don's "niece" taking up the majority of episodes would be fine for a random episode back in the day but with what 14 episodes left in the entire series I'm not sure we needed an entire episode focused in on Roger's daughter or half an episode about a pregnant "niece" of Don's that he never even gets to see and best I can recall really added nothing to his overall story. 

I'll watch it to the end but I feel like the last half of last season and all of this season the show really jumped off the rails. For all this talk I heard about Wiener having a clear vision on how to end it I'm not sure if that vision has changed or not but I would have enjoyed seeing a clear goal at the start of the season such as "Don's redemption" and then every episode move us significantly down that path. I guess thats still the vision but it just feels like we're crawling down the stories path when we only have 8 hours of television left in the entire series. 

On a side note I wish we were getting more of Betty this season, I wish we were getting more Roger/Don scenes because I always enjoyed the friendship those two had, I wish we were getting better stuff for Peggy. I'm not even really sure what her story is this season to where as the start of last season I thought it was Peggy outgrowing Don and becoming a success completely on her own away from Don. I wish Pete was doing something else. The whole not wanting to get a divorce thing is cool but we're six episodes in and this is the first they have hinted at that. Other than that he's just been shouting at a telephone speaking and hanging out with a hot blonde. 

I love the series and I always felt it was on par with Breaking Bad but Breaking Bad's last season was miles ahead of this. 

I loved the most recent episode. I lol'd at the final scene with the Don/Peggy/Pete family outing. It hasn't been the most exciting television, but I'm so into almost all the characters that it doesn't bother me.

I'm into what the characters used to be but I can't seem to think of any character that has an interesting arc going on. Dons might be if it wasn't crawling by and everyone else doesn't seem to have anything but random scenes. One of my favorite shows ever until the merger last year or there abouts.

I've been enjoying it, even though it feels like it's coasting, but you're absolutely right about things changing with the merger. Like you said, apart from Ted, I don't even know anyone else's name. Not Harry Hamlin's character, not the nerdy art guys, and I can't even remember what Bob Benson actually does at the company. This past episode was a return to what I liked though - the advertising side of the show, and all the politicking that goes along with it, both internally and in the wider advertising world.

I've been enjoying it, even though it feels like it's coasting, but you're absolutely right about things changing with the merger. Like you said, apart from Ted, I don't even know anyone else's name. Not Harry Hamlin's character, not the nerdy art guys, and I can't even remember what Bob Benson actually does at the company. This past episode was a return to what I liked though - the advertising side of the show, and all the politicking that goes along with it, both internally and in the wider advertising world.

Yeah this episode was a return to what I like as well the advertising, the politicking, the gaining and losing clients.  Oddly enough I was suprised to see Bob. I thought he was an interesting part of the cast last year and then kind of disappeared this year. I had forgotten about the whole hitting on Pete thing. Really thinking about it it seems that the female leads on this show have had much higher career progression than any of the men. Outside of Don moving to partner which even before he was a partner it felt like he might as well be with as much stroke as he had there. Peggy started out a secretary and best I can tell in their mangled merger she's SUPPOSED to be head of creative or was atleast. Joan started out what basically head secretary for lack of a better term and now she's a partner. I guess Pete's done well for himself but he strikes me as the type that had the political ambition to make partner one day anyway. 

I don't know what sort of ending you guys expect... It's a pretty low key show

Don Draper biting someone's jugular like in 24?

And I'm not sure the female careers have progressed all that better than the males, other than the fact that the males they focus on were always in positions of power (save Pete Campbell), so there really wasn't much further for them to go.