DVDVR Message Board

Has Brind'Amour been coaching somewhere? That's a real interesting pick

He's been Carolina's assistant coach for (apparently!) 3 seasons now.  It was just a wild guess based on Carolina keeping almost everything in-house: former player Francis as GM, assistant GM is Mike Velluci (hired today) who was GM of the Plymouth Whalers (Also owned by Peter Karmanos); former player Cory Stillman, Glen Wesley, Jeff Daniels and Robert Kron all have jobs in the organization.

This is good. Linden said that he'd hope to have a GM in place by late May/early June. That seems awfully close to the busiest time of the year for a GM with the draft, trades, and free agency. 

Canucks officially fire Tortorella and assistant Mike Sulilvan.

Islanders trade a conditional 4th to Washington for the UFA rights to Jaroslav Halak.  Halak and the Isles have already talked about a new deal.  Halak might be pretty good in Long Island.  One guy pointed out that behind St. Louis' great defence and defensive forwards, Halak's Save PCT was .917, yet behind the Capitals pourous defence and forwards not interested in coming back, his Save PCT was .930.

I like that move. Islanders needed an NHL goalie and they got one.

Now they just need a second winger for Tavares, 2/3rds of a 2nd line, 1 or 2 more Top 4 defencemen and a back-up goalie!

I like that move. Islanders needed an NHL goalie and they got one.

Now they just need a second winger for Tavares, 2/3rds of a 2nd line, 1 or 2 more Top 4 defencemen and a back-up goalie!

Well on their way! Is Reinhart ready for the jump or does he play in the A next year? Collberg looks like he's a ways away. 

I think Reinhart's ready, myself, but it depends on what the Islanders think.  They seem to be following the Detroit model a lot lately and trying to make their prospects mentor in the AHL first before playing on the team: Niederreiter, Calvin De Haan, Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, probably based off the ruination of Josh Bailey by rushing him.  I'm actually only half-kidding about the Isles.  A lot of their young guys looked ready for more responsibility down the stretch.  They've got work to do, but there's no reason they couldn't be a playoff team with an addition or two, Halak in goal and a healthy Tavares.

In  regards to Reinhart, Craig Button recently floated the possibility that Edmonton could move their first rounder this year to the Isles for Reinhart, but it wasn't clear if this was Button Fantasy GM-ing or based off something he heard.  Oilers fans were outraged, but I think it would actually be a smart move for the Oilers.  I mean, say Ekblad and Reinhart go 1-2, the Oilers then could pick Leon Draisaitl, Sam Bennett or William Nylander which are, respectively an average-sized offensive center, a large and skilled but not real competitive winger, or a small skilled center.  The Oilers already have all of that, plus if you're Craig MacTavish you MIGHT not have the time to wait for an 18-year-old prospect to develop into a Top 6 player.  So, you swap the pick to the Islanders for Griffin Reinhart whom, you know well (He plays for the WHL team your team owns) and is 20 and ready to play.  He satisfies the biggest need on the team: a big defender who plays physical, clears the crease and has some offence.  For the Isles, you get another good forward prospect, maybe a long-term 2nd line center for JT, and you don't worry too much about Reinhart because you've got a big group of D-Prospects anyway.

• Like 1

The Oilers are considering debuting so many rookie defensemen it's just crazy.

I'm not opposed to moving for Griffin Reinhart, but then you'd better be moving one of your other pieces on the shelf as part of a move to get a center that can actually land a body check.

Christ, we haven't replaced Jason Arnott in 15 years. This combination of RNH and Sam Gagner as the top two centers is laughably small even by Oilers standards, and I've seen enough of Gagner to be tired of that one 8 point game glossing over 5 pretty average years full of defensive lapses.

I wonder how much we will offer Andre Markov and just pray that his body holds together.

Greg Wyshinski suggested that Carolina might have to buy Ward out this summer.  The only team I could really see having an interest, and Carolina'd still probably have to retain salary, is MAYBE the Calgary Flames with Burke looking for a good 1A/1B to play with Karri Ramo and banking on Ward returning to his home province bringing back his old self.  I dunno.  Even Ward's teammate this past season, Anton Khudobin, speculated to the Russian media that maybe Ward is finished and has just played too much hockey at a high level to still be good.

It's actually shocking if you really look over the history of the game at what an incredibly infinitesimal percentage of goalies managed to be truly elite for more than about 5 years max. You can probably name all of them because it's just about that rare, and all of them are either hall of famers or soon to be (Hasek, Brodeur). Even a lot of really excellent goalies have 4 or 5 great years and the rest they were realistically just a guy (say, Curtis Joseph, Mike Richter).

• Like 1

The Islanders trade sucks because I wanted the Canes to trade Cam Ward there.

Would never happen because Wang would never pick up that contract. Remember the Isles are the same team that "aquired" Tim Thomas solely to get above the cap floor without actually spending money. Honestly think you won't find a taker unless you are willing to pick up a large part of the contract. If you use the compliance buyout I could see Garth being interested if he would sign as a reclamation project

It's actually shocking if you really look over the history of the game at what an incredibly infinitesimal percentage of goalies managed to be truly elite for more than about 5 years max. You can probably name all of them because it's just about that rare, and all of them are either hall of famers or soon to be (Hasek, Brodeur). Even a lot of really excellent goalies have 4 or 5 great years and the rest they were realistically just a guy (say, Curtis Joseph, Mike Richter).

And even guys like Cujo and Richter get bumped up a bit because of where they played.  Richter's record doesn't hold up as well under a microscope.  Cujo always seemed to be a guy who was better at making 40 saves and losing 4-3 than making 30 saves and winning 2-1.

That sounds like Ryan Miller, actually.  And Luongo to a certain degree.

Never really thought about it but you're right.  Over the last 30 years, who are the elite guys that lasted more than 5 years?  Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and...... uh.....

• Like 1

Off top of my head (so not using statistics)

Fuhr?

Hextall?

Fuhr is a maybe. Hextall is a no. Not nearly a long enough stretch of greatness.

This is why I sort of think Barry Trotz got off at the right time in Nashville.

Rinne having hip surgery doesn't bode well for his future. Now, I still think they did the right thing giving him the big contract because that's just what a #1 goalie demands. But still.