DVDVR Message Board

Yeah, way too many shots from the outside on that chart for a guy who isn't a sniper.  We need some of that SportVU data in hockey about touches and passes. 

Or losing possession. Dan Girarid's stick, where possession goes to die.

Lots of news today (Mostly provided by Bob McKenzie)

-Dallas is buying out Aaron Rome.  Going to the Rangers in 3...2...

-Cam Ward is open to waiving his No-Trade-Clause but is anyone willing to trade for him.

-Vern Fiddler, Ray Whitney and Tim Thomas won't be back with Dallas.

-Boston will not offer Shawn Thornton a contract.

-Colorado talking to Paul Stastny, shopping PA Parenteau.

-Ales Hemsky won't be back with Ottawa.

-Colorado decided that they hadn't quite ticked Ryan O'Reilly off enough in last year's prolonged contract dispute and are taking him to arbitration where they're likely to argue he should get less money after a career year.  Winnipeg also taking Michael Frolik to salary arbitration.  In the past this was sometimes done because it prevented other teams from making Offer-Sheets on their players (Nashville did it one year for that specific reason with Shea Weber) but they've knocked that out of the new CBA so there is still a window where teams can make an offer-sheet on them.  Unfortunately for ROR, Jay Feaster is not currently an NHL GM.

-Winnipeg willing to trade any player off their roster, including Evander Kane.  This was from McKenzie, though I suspect he forgot the words "Except Jacob Trouba...that's not going to happen."

-Andrei Markov is looking for a 3 year deal worth $18 million.

-Detroit will re-sign Jonas Gustavsson.

-Washington looking for a veteran back-up goalie and will go with Braden Holtby as their #1.  Also they'd like to bring Mikhail Grabovski back but are confident going with Evgeny Kuznetsov, Marcus Johansson or Brooks Laick as their #2 center.  So, basically, it sounds like George McPhee is still somehow running the Washington Capitals.

-Bruce Garrioch claims the Flames offered Mikael Backlund, Jiri Hudler, Dennis Wideman and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Jason Spezza but that that is not nearly enough for Ottawa.  So, Jason Spezza's not leaving Ottawa right? Because there's no way that offer gets topped, is there?

-My favourite crazy trade rumor: Nail Yakupov for Evander Kane.

So Carolina's new coach is Bill Dineen, who was an assistant with Detroit this past season.

Florida's new coach is rumored to be Gerard Gallant, per a Boston area reporter with no one else confirming it.

Pittsburgh's rumored to be down to 1 candidate and is flying in Willie Desjardins tomorrow.

That leaves Vancouver with...Marc Crawford...I kid, I kid Canucks fans (Though he did reportedly interview with them).  If I had to guess, it'll be Mike Johnston, current Portland Winter Hawks coach.

TSN says Desjardins is no longer the option for the Pens and is favourite for the Canucks job. I'm impressed with his CV and he's a patient teacher that is really great with young'uns, but I've read he's not great in the media and can be awkward at times (hello, Jim Benning!). While I don't give two shits about that personally, this town could devour him if he doesn't turn things around (which coaching cannot do alone - and coaching in hockey is something that is overstated to begin with) and he turns into Garth Algar in front of cameras. I'd be happy with Willie but I'd still like an evil genius like Boucher and unless Pittsburgh doesn't want him, he'd be a fool to come here over Pittsburgh on his own volition.

I know why the Canucks would want Oshie in return for Kesler, but I wouldn't do it. Trading Kesler means we need to rebuild and would be so incredibly weak down the middle, adding a flashy yet probably overrated player in Oshie with nobody for him to play with would be a disaster. The kind of disaster that gets you in those undesirable 9th-11th spots but not bad enough to have a shot at the big two in next year's draft.

Also, lol @ New York taking Brad Richards' cap space and spending it on the next FA thing. I would lose my shit if Stastny signed there. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!

The Leafs and Rangers getting in a bidding war over slightly better Sam Gagner Statsny would be perfect.

The free agent field is really terrible this year, assuming Gaborik sticks in LA, though. I mean, you can't go after what isn't there at the end of the day. Christ, Hemsky is only 30 he might be the prize of the lot, let that sink in. Andrej Meszaros will probably clean up somehow too.

The Brad RIchards buyout is official.

Also a little point I didn't know about, guys that are bought out usually have to clear waivers first so technically they can be claimed by any other team. Richards had a no move clause, and part of that is apparently that he can decline being put through waivers on a buyout and go direct to free agency, which he did.

Couple thoughts.

I understand why Vancouver fans wouldn't do Oshie/Keslar, but that feels like a horrible deal to me as a Blues fan. Keslar is about 5 years older, and hasn't broken 50 points in his last 2 seasons. Oshie is coming of a 60 point season, and is just as strong defensively.

Also, bit confused by the Stastny Gagner comparison, since Stastny can actually play defense.

Couple thoughts.

I understand why Vancouver fans wouldn't do Oshie/Keslar, but that feels like a horrible deal to me as a Blues fan. Keslar is about 5 years older, and hasn't broken 50 points in his last 2 seasons. Oshie is coming of a 60 point season, and is just as strong defensively.

Also, bit confused by the Stastny Gagner comparison, since Stastny can actually play defense.

Two years difference. Kesler has more mileage on him, though, so that much is true.

Stastny is a good player and will get paid ridonk money, but I wouldn't be unhappy if the Canucks were the team to do it. The cap will keep going up and he's in his prime. But I'm really pushing for Grabovski every summer it seems.

All's good in Shark Territory , they've found a fresh scapegoat and already unloaded him, next stop 2015 Stanley Cup Winners!

The Color Analyst was too expensive and/or negative! Of course!  It all makes sense now.

[insert kitten .gif here]

• Like 1

I really, really want Marc Crawford to end up in Pittsburgh.  Bob McKenzie was saying the other day that Crawford was still demanding but less confrontational than in the past, I'd love to watch him losing his shit on the bench as the Pens fall apart against Philadelphia.  Alternately, if that can't happen, then I really want Mike Keenan in Pittsburgh engaging in an ongoing war with Marc-Andre Fleury.

Also, the Oilers kind of/not quite acquired Nikita Nikitin from Columbus today.  IF they can come to a contract agreements before the draft, then they will send a 5th round pick to Columbus in this year's draft.  If they can come to a contract agreement after the draft, but before free agency, they owe Columbus a draft pick in the 2015 draft.  If they don't, they don't give up anything.  It makes one wonder why more deals like this don't go down, rather than dumping a pick for a player without a chance to sign them (Like the Boyle trade, for instance).

Nikitin is "an NHL defenseman" which makes him an instant upgrade over half the guys we rotated through last year. Not really concerned about what money they offer him because the NHL cap goes ever upwards, more concerned for term. If we have to overpay him to get him to take a shorter term deal, fine. Just nothing 3+ years. If he doesn't want a two year deal, let him walk and you lose nothing.

Team home openers have been announced. Kings open vs SJ, so the NHL is just being mean. Last home opener ever for Isles in LI is 10/11 vs Carolina. Should've been against Philly, Edmonton or Pittsburgh for historical reasons, hopefully the final ever regular season game is vs one of those teams.

Couple thoughts.

Two years difference. Kesler has more mileage on him, though, so that much is true.

Stastny is a good player and will get paid ridonk money, but I wouldn't be unhappy if the Canucks were the team to do it. The cap will keep going up and he's in his prime. But I'm really pushing for Grabovski every summer it seems.

This is my opinion as well regarding Stastny. We could either overpay a bit for a him, or do something like give up considerable assets for Spezza who is older, more injury prone, and was a bad defensive forward last year. Would rather overpay a bit.

The drawback with signing Stastny is you'll probably be overpaying him for 7-8 years. Sure, he'd be 35 or 36 by the end of the contract but it's a big gamble and, as DFA says, long contracts are awful. If the Canucks move Kesler, I'm sure they'll be looking for a young center to "replace" him, but Grabovski on a 3 year deal, even if you're paying him Toronto money, is the best option for Vancouver. St. Louis, I could see why they may be okay taking the risk on 7 years of Stastny.

Unless you are talking a 24 year old franchise player those long term big money contracts are almost always a bad idea. As much as I'd like for Callihan to come home to WNY I am of the opinion that giving him the contract he wants will be a disaster. Last thing we need Iis another Leino type disaster.

And speaking of the Sabres the home opener is on 10/8 vs Columbus, or as I like to call it: the begining of the quest for Connor McDavid.

Unless you are talking a 24 year old franchise player those long term big money contracts are almost always a bad idea. As much as I'd like for Callihan to come home to WNY I am of the opinion that giving him the contract he wants will be a disaster. Last thing we need Iis another Leino type disaster.

And speaking of the Sabres the home opener is on 10/8 vs Columbus, or as I like to call it: the begining of the quest for Connor McDavid.

Which is a worse idea: signing a Paul Stastny for 7 years at 7.5 per, or trading a top 6 forward, top prospect, and a 1st for Spezza?

I don't think Spezza will be putting up great point totals for much longer. Kesler's also has injury issues but I think he's the better investment. Stastny is better off as a second line centre than first, but will get paid like a 1st liner and have big expectations.

I think Keslar is a better investment as well, but it's a "more of what we got" situation . We are looking for a skilled C to play between Schwartz and Tarasenko. The reality is, we aren't getting a perfect fit here. The 3 mentioned have obvious drawbacks, and so do the other ones that we could explore (Thornton is a perfect fit, but would be major cost, and for how long, What does Richards have left, Will Kadri ever get there)

I'm leaning trying to get Kadri, and trying to swipe Richards both. Imperfect, but gives us options.