DVDVR Message Board

I feel like only the Caps would have an introductory press conference for their new coach and then have it be 20 minutes in before said new head coach actually spoke.

Interesting you have Draisaitl at 4th among WHL skaters. Some say he should go first overall and others call him Malkin-lite (sounds like silly exaggeration). Still hoping the Canucks move up to pick Reinhart.

Interesting you have Draisaitl at 4th among WHL skaters. Some say he should go first overall and others call him Malkin-lite (sounds like silly exaggeration). Still hoping the Canucks move up to pick Reinhart.

I like Draisaitl a lot, I think his minuses (Skating, defensive play, lack of physical play) are overstated.  I just like Fleury and Virtanen more.  I can see the Malkin-lite comparision for Virtanen, but I could also see him being Viktor Kozlov (50-70 point player who doesn't really change your team's fortunes).  Virtanen has a bit of an Ovechkin-lite vibe to him (Big forward, fast, great shot and can run over opponents) while Fleury looks a like Bouwmeester.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Comparing Reinhart's stats to RNH's in his draft year, why are people rather down on his offense in the NHL going forward? Is it his lack of explosive speed? You compared him to Bergeron, but he has greater numbers than the Nuge in their draft years and people gush about RNH's offensive upside.  NHL.com has an article likening Reinhart to Richards and Zetterberg. What do you think of those comparisons? I know these put unfair expectations on kids and each player is unique, but in terms of playing style, whom is he closer to?

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Comparing Reinhart's stats to RNH's in his draft year, why are people rather down on his offense in the NHL going forward? Is it his lack of explosive speed? You compared him to Bergeron, but he has greater numbers than the Nuge in their draft years and people gush about RNH's offensive upside.

When it comes to Reinhart, I think it's a case of what I like to call 'Restless Scout Syndrome'.  The guy has been on the radar for a long, long time.  Way back in 2011, people were talking about him (when he was 15!) and how he was playing well in spot duty for Kootenay's Memorial Cup run.  I find with prospects like him that scouts almost seem to get bored with them after watching them for so long and they start to nit-pick minor flaws into major ones and become disinterested and more taken with guys who come out of nowhere to put up big point seasons.  A good example of this was Sean Couturier, he was identified as a top pick over a year before his draft year, in his draft year he put up 96 points in 58 games, despite playing through mono, but scouts started to pick at little things, consensuses started to form, and new players impressed (Huberdeau, Scheifele) and suddenly Couturier found himself dropping to the 8th spot.  I think a little bit of that is happening with Reinhart right now, scouts and viewers are a little bored of him, and fascinated by late-risers.

Another issue with him is he's not a "sexy" pick (And God do I hate using the term 'sexy' in relation to sports, but I can't think of another word right now!) because he's not a real flashy player.  I remember last fall I read how one of the scouting outlets was having discussions about dropping him down the list because he wasn't a great skater and his play wasn't impressing them.  And I watched a Kootenay game right after reading that and thinking "Yeah, they're right" and seeing another game of his and going "Oh yeah, I don't know if this guy is very good" but he's a funny prospect in that, the more you see him, the more you start to appreciate the little things he does (2-way play, zone entries/exits, playmaking) and, suddenly, after watching 2-3 or more games of his, you start to appreciate that he is an incredible prospect.  But, he's not likely to ever be that guy who grabs the puck, races up the ice and dekes out half the team and score a highlight reel goal.  He's not likely to ever be the guy who throws a tide-turning bodycheck.  But he is likely to be the guy who you go "I haven't really seen Reinhart" all night, only to check the scoresheet and see he played like 6 mintues of penalty-kill and had 3 assists.

As for Reinhart vs. RNH numbers, they're sort of comparable (RNH outpointed Reinhart in regular season, while Reinhart outscored Nuge in the playoffs) but there's also the fact that Reinhart was almost half a year older than Reinhart was in his draft year.  But comparing him to Bergeron isn't a bad thing, the guy has put up seasons of 70+ points which I think is in range for Reinhart, especially if/when he's able to play with some elite scorers or power-forwards who can open up some more ice for him.

I think he's the safest pick in the draft, by far.  In some regards he reminds me of Curtis Lazar where you're hoping he ends up being an NHL scorer and first-line forward, but, even if he doesn't, you've got someone who can contribute, even if it's not on the scoresheet, for many years to come.

• Like 2

Can anyone find Patrice Bergeron's pre-draft profile?  The two-way dominance became more of a thing after he got his brains scrambled, right? 

The only thing I can find is a Hockey Futures 2003 draft recap

'

Round 2, Pick 45

Patrice Bergeron,

Center, 6’0″, 175 lbs.

TEAM LEAGUE GP G A PTS PIM Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL 70 23 50 73 62

Scouting Report: Playmaking second line center, Adam Oates type

Rankings:

CSB 28 N.A., HF 67, RLR 71

Organization Quote: Dan Dore (Bruin scout)

“He is a great playmaker with excellent vision of the ice.”

I think he was a pretty solid two-way player before the concussions, though, I'm pretty sure that's what lead to him sticking at a much younger age than expected.

Jeff O'Neill is worse than PJ Stock and Glenn Healy. Think about that for a moment.

Rogers announced their play-by-play crew for next season. Paul Romaniuk is coming back to Canada!!!!!! And Bob Cole sticks around for at least one more season.

Announcers - Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf, Paul Romaniuk, Bob Cole

• Like 1