DVDVR Message Board

Giguere's retiring.  Goalie coach.

He was the last active player left who played for the Whalers (technicaly Pronger has yet to officially retire but he's played his last game).

I don't know where to post this, but the Luongo intern skit (saw it on NHLN) was awesome. Luongo has replaced AA as The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived.

• Like 1

Predators should be interesting this year.  The way I see it, there are two possible outcomes for them #1. They go to the Cup Finals: In his last two stops, in his first full season with the team, Laviolette has taken said team to the Cup Finals (Won it with Carolina in his first full season with the Canes, lost it in his first season with the Flyers).  #2. The team spectacularly fails because Laviolette is an offence-first coach with a passing interest in defence yet the Preds are built from the blueline out and this Preds team has been held together by Trotz' defensive coaching system and an emphasis on offence over defence will allow teams to exploit Nashville like never before.

Interesting that Nashville was able to fire a coach and hire a new coach in the same time frame that the Leafs have been unable to come to a decision, one way or the other, on their coach.

Someone on the radio threw out the idea that the Leafs wrre waiting for the Raptors to endvtheir season before deciding publicly in Carlyle, so as to not updtage the hoops team in the playoffs.

Philadelphia promotes Paul Holmgren from GM to president, and names Ron Hextall GM.

I guess if you sign a historically ridiculous series of contracts over 7 years and win absolutely nothing while doing so, you get a promotion. The Oilers method is spreading!

I've seen that movie before. I can't believe he's still forcing the drop pass in the neutral zone. All of this is like a bad replay of the past two playoffs for the Canucks.

Food for thought on the Hextall hire, the Philadelphia Flyers have a new GM.  Said GM proclaims today (Almost in defiance of his predecessor): "I'm a fan of prospects and picks.  You don't trade young players or picks for older players."  

So, Philadelphia is hosting the draft this June, how badly do you think Hextall wants to make a splash?  

The Florida Panthers are rumored to be shopping the #1 pick.  Elliotte Friedman speculates that Florida doesn't want to drop any lower than #10.  Do you think a package of #17 and Brayden Schenn is enough to convince the Panthers to move down to #17?  If Florida's not willing to go down that far, is there anyone on the Flyers roster whom Nashville's new coach Peter Laviolette would want badly enough from his former team to convince Nashville to deal the #11 pick to Philadelphia for?  Then, can Philly parlay that #11 and something else (The aforementioned Schenn, maybe both Schenns) to get Florida's #1 pick?  

This is all pure speculation on my part, but it could make for a fun draft.  Can you imagine the crowd reaction in Philadelphia if it were to be announced that the Flyers had acquired the #1 pick?!

The Panthers always shop the #1 pick it's a franchise tradition. I really wonder what kind of value they'll get for it this time, because without checking I want to say last time they did this was pre-cap, and it has changed the trade equations for everything.