DVDVR Message Board

A SPORTS TALK RADIO THREAD

RIPPA

Tim and Sid are being taken of the Fan590 1pm-4pm slot on March 27th and they are getting as TV show in July 1st from 5pm to 7pm. Greg Brady of the Morning Show will be replacing them.

Dean Blundell is replacing Greg Brady and Andrew Walker in the morning.

Dean Blundell is a nice human being ....... (not really)

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/06/dean_blundell_show_cancelled_after_suspension_over_onair_homophobic_commentary.html

http://oilersnation.com/2013/6/14/dean-blundell-as-low-as-it-gets

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/01/18/edge_1021_rebuked_for_comments_about_women.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In a "only in DC would this story happen"

So today - on ESPN 980 (this is the sports talk station owned by the Redskins) a show was supposed to debut called "The Man Cave" featuring Chris Paul (not that one) and Jason Reid (formerly of the Wash Post).

It was going to be the morning show - and it was going to replace Mike and Mike.

Apparently - Dan Snyder had no idea that Reid was hired (since he hates Reid for things Reid has writting in the Post about the Skins). He found out this weekend.

So Snyder cancelled the show and fired the PD who hired both of them.

• Like 1

The worst part is that they got rid of the Andy Polin show on 570 which pretty popular so they can move Mike & Mike to 570 and put in the new show.  So now they are stuck replacing Polin with the Steve Czaban show which is basically the "The Drive" without Cooley and 20 times more phony douchebaggery

• 1 month later...

Yesterday on my drive home, CBS Sports radio was replaced with ESPN. I'd say I got screwed, but Gottlieb and LeBatard are probably equally abhorrent. 

LeBatard is probably the best sports radio show for people like me who like sports, but think all the super serious bullshit is, for lack of a better word, bullshit.  I can't stand the self righteousness that most sports shows trade in, and I'd much rather have LeBatard fucking with people and talking about everything but sports.

• Like 1

I'll confess I did laugh pretty hard yesterday when he asked Bradley Beal if Gortat looked more like a sorcerer or a genie.

They did a whole March Madness thing with things like that, my favorite was Jeff Van Gundy looks like a medical examiner who does an autopsy while eating a sandwich.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going through the archives here, I notice some of you have a hatred of Mike Salk.  Here's a clip from Tuesday's show where Keith Law is the guest and absolutely buries Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik and Salk and Brock Huard desperately try to defend Zduriencik and absolutely fail as Law just keeps on burying him.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9988852&p=1007&n=Brock%20and%20Salk

It really saddens me when I look at Dan Patrick's Youtube channel: "Nick Swarsdon in studio, Frank Caliendo in studio, Ray Liotta in studio."

His ESPN show, from 2004 when they finally fired the awful Rob Dibble to his sign-off in 2007, was easily the best sports talk radio show.  Dan and Phil the Showkiller had amazing chemistry, and the Danettes were not on-air personalities so it was just Dan talking sports and his ESPN overlords kept the non-sports talk to a minimum.

Now Dan is gone for half the year, making camoes in whatever racist movie Adam Sandler is starring in, the Danettes dominate the show rather than remain off-air/camera and feed Dan jokes, there is maybe ONE sports-related guest per day.

Ugh.

I would say it depends on what you want: straight sports, sports and popular culture, sports and guy talk? All sports or sport specifc?

PersoNally, i listen to less and less radio and more podcasts, so i can filter out the stuff about which i dont care (basketball, nfl) for stuff i do (hockey, soccer, baseball).

I'm not feeling this new Ryen Rusillo show so far, though it is nice to not have to listen to Scott Van Pelt mention how big a fan he is of A Tribe Called Quest every five minutes.

I'm still not sure what the fuck a Hip Hop group who hasn't released an album in 17 years has to do with sports.

The worst part is that they got rid of the Andy Polin show on 570 which pretty popular so they can move Mike & Mike to 570 and put in the new show.  So now they are stuck replacing Polin with the Steve Czaban show which is basically the "The Drive" without Cooley and 20 times more phony douchebaggery

http://www.outsports.com/2012/12/10/4054070/espn-radios-steve-czaban-and-andy-pollin-in-horrific-anti-transgender

And homophobia.

-----------

If you did a drinking game for every time Czaban talked about how much he hated Obama, you would be blackout drunk before the first hour of his show was over.

All sports. Something with a good bit of humor. I don't need Mike Francesca.

My personal favorites are Evan Roberts and Joe Beningo on WFAN. They've got a good blend of humor mixed into the show. They also don't treat every caller like a moron like Francesca does.

• 2 weeks later...

And this week marks my least favorite week in sports talk radio, MLB All-Star Week.  Every "national" talent takes the week off and Fox Sports Radio, Yahoo Sports Radio, and CBS Sports Radio completely mail it in by sending their talent to the Utah Open Celebrity Pro-Am golf tournament.

Who wants to hear NFL Training Camp Previews on Saturday or Sunday when you can hear Tom Looney interview z-list celebrities like Will Sasso or Kathy Griffin?

Now, you might say, "well Art, you get a whole week without Jay Mohr."

But, no.  You see, Jay Mohr is so horrible that FSR always puts even worse talent on to make Jay look good.  Bob "Smug Jackass" Stelton, "Screaming" Arnie Spanier, Tony Rizzo, J.T. the Brick...come on down, it's your shot at nationally syndicated "drive time" radio...and to make Jay look better in comparison to how awful you guys are.

• 2 weeks later...

In a "only in DC would this story happen"

So today - on ESPN 980 (this is the sports talk station owned by the Redskins) a show was supposed to debut called "The Man Cave" featuring Chris Paul (not that one) and Jason Reid (formerly of the Wash Post).

It was going to be the morning show - and it was going to replace Mike and Mike.

Apparently - Dan Snyder had no idea that Reid was hired (since he hates Reid for things Reid has writting in the Post about the Skins). He found out this weekend.

So Snyder cancelled the show and fired the PD who hired both of them.

And just an update, but "The Man Cave" did eventually go on the air at the end of March, but the PD was still fired/resigned.

This probably belongs in the "annoying commercial" thread, but I am so, so, so glad that the 2015 Special Olympics have started, because my local Fox Sports Radio station has been running those "We Are L.A." commercials ad nauseum for the last two months and I'm just sick of it.