DVDVR Message Board

A SPORTS TALK RADIO THREAD

RIPPA

• 5 weeks later...

John Feinstein just said that his CBS national radio show was cancelled (well officially his contract is running out and they aren't renewing it)

He said that he wasn't the only one and that they are making a lot of changes to the National lineup but didn't specify what the other changes were.

He did say that Rome and Doug Gottlieb were the only two untouchables

I wouldn't be surprised if TBD in the Morning got shook up.  It feels like they go out of their way to give someone a day off every two weeks, seemingly testing the chemistry of who gets along best with Tiki Barber.  I would go with Dana Jacobson.  Brandon Tierney is just too much of a tool.

The MoJo Show might get shaken up, too.  I think Chris Moore and Brian Jones get along personally, but they don't mesh on the air.  Bart Scott sits in for Jones on Tuesdays, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got that seat.

I don't know enough about Ferrall's show to have an opinion.

I can tolerate Rome.  I know he grates some nerves and his routine is old as dust, but I think he gets that.  He seems to have some self-awareness, which makes him OK to listen to for a few minutes here and there.  Gottlieb, though?  Wow, I don't remember him being that much of a weenie during his ESPN days.  Not that I've ever liked him, but he's become really smug.  Being 100% away from the chopping block does that, I guess.

The Big Lead has more details about it

RADIO CHATTER I

CBS Sports RadioCBS Sports Radio is going through a few major changes, multiple industry sources told Inside Blitz.

The biggest change: Dana Jacobson is out from the weekday 6-9 am show she hosted with Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney. The trio was not getting along (that’s being generous), and Barber/Tierney are going to be moving to a new timeslot: 9 am-12.

And that means John Feinstein’s show (currently occupies 9 am-noon) is over. Though I’ve never actually spoken with him, I have to say I find Feinstein to be one of the best storytellers in radio (up there with Jim Nantz), and it’s a plus that he’s a big-time college basketball guy. I guess CBS Sports Radio didn’t see it that way.

So who takes over the 6 am slot? A new duo: Brian Jones (CBS College Football analyst) and Gregg Giannotti. Jones is currently doing an evening show with Chris Moore. Giannotti was at CBS Radio in Pittsburgh. There’s a painful story about how Moore found out about the change, and it involves Mike Francesa, but I’ll let someone else relay that.

Too bad about Jacobson.  I thought she did well with Tiki when Tierney wasn't around.  But it's clear she and BT hate each other's guts.  But she's on the sports version of The Talk now.  With the TV gig, she'll be fine.  Glad to hear that Tiki and BT will be moved.  I won't hear it upon waking up, so yay for that.

Giannotti and Jones have done well with each other.  GG keeps Jones in check better than Moore.

I guess I'm one of the few who's happy that Feinstein's gone. I just find him somewhat of a blowhard who knows nothing about what he's talking about besides college basketball (to an extent) and golf.

Junior also knows how much smarter he is than everyone else. :)

Tiki Barber lost his damn mind this morning, going off against Gary Meyers when almost every NYC-based sports guy is rolling their eyes at Tiki for yapping about Coughlin again.  It got embarrassing. Dana Jacobson is thanking Grumpy Cat for only having to deal with this mess for six more weeks.  She wasn't there today, making it all the better for her.

Even if he's right about Coughlin needing to go, Tiki shouldn't be the one saying a word.  Dude's pissed because he played all the wrong cards.  Retired and blamed Coughlin for taking his smile.  Lost out on two SB rings.  Go to the Today Show for some hot gig he couldn't really handle. Meet some production assistant and bang her while your pregnant wife is at home.  Oh, and the wife finds out and shakes you for half your money in the divorce.  Marry said production assistant because no one else wants your sorry ass.  Start some ragamuffin 'meet a sports star' company to milk marks for easy cash.  And languish in radio while Michael Strahan can't keep up with all the jobs he's got.

Tiki lost and he will deal.

• Like 2

Tiki Barber lost his damn mind this morning, going off against Gary Meyers when almost every NYC-based sports guy is rolling their eyes at Tiki for yapping about Coughlin again.  It got embarrassing. Dana Jacobson is thanking Grumpy Cat for only having to deal with this mess for six more weeks.  She wasn't there today, making it all the better for her.

Even if he's right about Coughlin needing to go, Tiki shouldn't be the one saying a word.  Dude's pissed because he played all the wrong cards.  Retired and blamed Coughlin for taking his smile.  Lost out on two SB rings.  Go to the Today Show for some hot gig he couldn't really handle. Meet some production assistant and bang her while your pregnant wife is at home.  Oh, and the wife finds out and shakes you for half your money in the divorce.  Marry said production assistant because no one else wants your sorry ass.  Start some ragamuffin 'meet a sports star' company to milk marks for easy cash.  And languish in radio while Michael Strahan can't keep up with all the jobs he's got.

Your right about everything but the rings. You know they only won because TIki retired. He would have found a way to fuck those teams up ;)

• Like 1

Damn, this was a really harsh - but accurate - assessment of Tiki.  If he'd played his cards right, he could be working a booth like his brother (who isn't bad!).  But no...

• 3 weeks later...

So Doug Gottlieb spent his radio show yesterday making asinine comments about Ferguson, Eric Garner and police officers everywhere. I tweeted at him telling him he was victim blaming ('if Garner didn't want to be taken down like that he should have given his hands over') and telling him why prosecuting one police officer who fucked up royally doesn't 'cast a shadow over all police'. His since deleted tweets were posted on deadspin, along with my responses. It's been a weird day. People outside my liberal bubble on the internet are freaking terrifying, and they are not shy about trying to educate me on many things, including Jesus, obesity, and how someone cannot say I can't breathe if they can't in fact breathe.

Gottleib loves to victim blame on his show when it comes to social issues.  He may be the only person in sports who defended the Darren Sharper situation in any way.  he also supported the players when the Texas football story came out his year.  I don't know if it is this once a jock always a jock mentality with him or what.  

I did enjoy him making fun of Kobe Bryant wearing the "I can't breathe" shirt doing the "I know the struggle" gag.  I mean you would have to hit some bad places in this country to think that Kobe or Lebron is getting the shit beat out of him by cops for anything.

Gottleib loves to victim blame on his show when it comes to social issues.  He may be the only person in sports who defended the Darren Sharper situation in any way.  he also supported the players when the Texas football story came out his year.  I don't know if it is this once a jock always a jock mentality with him or what.  

C'mon, you're talking about a guy that stole credit cards in college.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Gottleib is awful. Just total garbage. Don't understand why any company would give him a platform. I don't think he's even good at "stirring the pot". He's boring and in my opinion, totally devoid of any radio talent.

• Like 1