DVDVR Message Board

A SPORTS TALK RADIO THREAD

RIPPA

I was not a fan of Don and Mike but I am little surprised how enjoyable he is doing a sports show.

Of course - him doing stuff on the weekends is nice because its rare to have decent sports talk when you are out running errands on a Sat Afternoon

• 3 weeks later...

I have two prank call to sports radio station ideas:

1) Just a simple one where you call up with a ridiculous name. "Okay, up next is Narthrax from Caldwell" or "Okay, what's on you rmind Zolator Gorat from Brooklyn?"

2) Constantly referring to yourself in third person. "Hi! This is Gregg from Philly! Gregg would like to talk about Nick Foles. Gregg agrees with the host."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like more 790 the Zone guys are migrating to 680, Steak Shapiro and Chris Dimino are both going there.  Steak is on their mid-day show, and Dimino is already there, but cannot be on air until I believe April due to his non compete.  The question now is where does this leave Nick Cellini?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually quite furious. His show is legendary for a number of reasons including above all the unintentional comedy. I've been listening to him and Dog since 2001. There's talk that Michael fucking Kay will be replacing him on YES. Just awful. I don't get MSG.. so I hope Francesa doesn't go there.

It is Michael Kay

There rumors are that the final straw between Francesca and YES was Mike having the lovefest with A-Rod which infuriated the YES folks.

Kay was the obvious choice since he already had a radio show at the same exact time AND already has a relationship with YES

• 6 months later...

Oh hey.  Mike and Mike sure suck don't they?  

After Stern left terrestrial radio for Sirius, I was living in an apartment that could not get satellite reception, so i tried Mike and Mike. 

Within 3 days, I had switched to NPR.

I havent listened in years (maybe a deacde or more) but when i did, it was the same topic or two for all four hours. Which is how most sports morning drive works, but for them, it was so predictable.

Also, they always seemed like playing characters.

Are there two less funny people than Mike and Mike? Listening to that show is like eating well cooked food without any seasoning, too bland and flavorless to actually enjoy, but produced well enough to call bad.  The epitome of unoffensive.

I still listen to Francesa sometimes. The Dungy topic was interesting for a variety of reasons. Mike is still the king of unintentional comedy. The callers were obviously not the most progressive people you will ever meet but even Mike went on and on about what Dungy "must have meant" and so on. So then Mike says "I gotta be honest here. If I'm a coach, I don't take Sam either. But if everyone thought like me then that wouldn't be fair to Sam."

Then he goes "Listen, you think if CLOWNEY COMES OUT HE'S NOT GOING NUMBAH ONE?!"

From Deadspin:

In an interestingly-timed move, the New York Daily News is reporting that Stephen A. Smith will be leaving his ESPN Radio gig in New York and head to the uncensored airwaves of SiriusXM. And, also interestingly, he will be joining Chris "Mad Dog" Russo's stable of hosts on Mad Dog Radio.

And another reason I don't need satellite radio   <_<

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN 980 here in DC - the station owned by the Skins - is doing 12! hours of coverage for today's Skins/Pats game

A preseason game that almost no starter is playing in...