DVDVR Message Board

A SPORTS TALK RADIO THREAD

RIPPA

I figured I would start this back up because news broke this morning here in DC that on ESPN 980 Chris Cooley would be replacing Andy Pollin on the afternoon drive show

The new show will be called "The Drive" (used to be the Sports Reporters) - Steve Czban remains, Cooley and Al Galdi join him now.

Pollin goes into a weird limbo were he is still under contract but is without a show. Of course - he is going to being filling in for Kornheiser in August. So I guess just replace one crotchety old guy with another

Still listening to Francesa. Dog was my favorite of the duo with all the batshit insanity and energy that he brought to the show but I don't have satellite radio so Francesa it is. Now.. his show is actually incredible for how unintentionally hilarious it has become. I could not stomach it for the first few months but after that something clicked. People are actively trolling Francesa now, so many prank calls and his condescending tone towards all of the trolls and even innocent callers alike totally brings the juice.

• Like 1

The Chris Cooley thing is funny for a couple reasons.  The main one was that every time he was on 106.7 he was treated like a man walking on water kissing his ass and trying to leech off his celebrity.  So he goes to their competitor specifically Chad dukes who I am sure woud blow him if Chris asked. The other thing is that it is another blind homer on their roster who won't say anything negative to his boss. Czabe might have been more negative toward the Skins (mostly Shanny), he always kept his mouth shut when they interview players or coaches. Most of these interviews you wouldn't even know he was there

Philly has TWO local sports stations these days.The established one is WIP. The new-ish one (it's been on a few years now) is 97.5.97.5 has a weird mix. It has a few veterans of the industry in Tony Bruno and Mike Missanelli (local guy who did some national stuff). But it also has an absolute TON of people that have absolutely zero business being anywhere near a broadcast position. At the best, they're as mundane and average as your typical sports radio host. At their worst, it's beyond bad.They have a show called Talkin' Baseball that has some host and Phillies great Dutch Daulton. Dutch has a lot of great stories and talks outside of the usual cliches. However, the clown he co-hosts with CONSTANTLY talks over him. It's so irritating.My favorite moment was when some guy got promoted from occasional co-host duties to getting a full-time gig. He talked in his introduction about how he has plans on reinventing the sports radio wheel. His first topic on his show: Rate Michael Vick on a scale of 1-10. Because there's never enough Michael Vick talk in Philly.

Almost one year into Game's existence in Atlanta.  The morning show has changed a couple of times, CJ Simpson left for the LA Sparks and Kristen Ledlow has taken her place, she's much better than CJ IMO, Rick left the morning show to join the mid-day show with Jamie Dukes, Jerome left the mid-day show.  And Rachel has left the afternoon show to work for the new ACC network, leaving Kordell Stewart and Carl Dukes.  I like the mid-day show, the afternoon is really tough competition with Archer and Bell and Chuck and Chernoff on the other stations, but been good.

Sad that Mayhem in the AM had to do that stupid stunt.

I like how the 2 Live Stews "no compete" ended almost six weeks ago and The Game didn't immediately offer them a contract.

God, their national show on Sporting News Radio/Yahoo Sports was just awful, I can only imagine what their local Atlanta shows were like when they were limited to Falcons/Hawks/Bulldogs/Yellowjackets/Threshers/Braves.

I like how the 2 Live Stews "no compete" ended almost six weeks ago and The Game didn't immediately offer them a contract.

God, their national show on Sporting News Radio/Yahoo Sports was just awful, I can only imagine what their local Atlanta shows were like when they were limited to Falcons/Hawks/Bulldogs/Yellowjackets/Threshers/Braves.

I miss the old One on One sports/Sporting News radio lineup, with Peter Brown and Papa joe back to back. Probably been 10-15 years now, but when the trolled each other it was gold. Our local sports station has gone threw every national network, from Sporting news to ESpn(that pissed me off) to Fox(that pissed me off more) to a year as a oldies station, then to CBS sports radio, which i do not listen to now. . .The only sports radio host I can stand at all now is Ja mohr, and I'll stream him live on my kindle fire hd sometimes. . .

I miss the old One on One sports/Sporting News radio lineup, with Peter Brown and Papa joe back to back. Probably been 10-15 years now, but when the trolled each other it was gold. Our local sports station has gone threw every national network, from Sporting news to ESpn(that pissed me off) to Fox(that pissed me off more) to a year as a oldies station, then to CBS sports radio, which i do not listen to now. . .The only sports radio host I can stand at all now is Ja mohr, and I'll stream him live on my kindle fire hd sometimes. . .

I found out not long ago that Papa Joe died.

In 2011.

One-on-One Sports was my introduction to sports talk, too, pretty much. Kevin Wall, Papa Joe, and Arnie Spanier (who everyone else I knew hated but I thought was pretty funny most of the time).

ONE EIGHT HUNDRED, SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN, TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. . .(ten second pause). . .NINE OH SEVEN!

But Papa Joe was always my favorite. . ."Bite Me Wednesday" is a concept that should be adopted more widely.

• Like 1

I found out not long ago that Papa Joe died.

In 2011.

One-on-One Sports was my introduction to sports talk, too, pretty much. Kevin Wall, Papa Joe, and Arnie Spanier (who everyone else I knew hated but I thought was pretty funny most of the time).

ONE EIGHT HUNDRED, SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN, TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. . .(ten second pause). . .NINE OH SEVEN!

But Papa Joe was always my favorite. . ."Bite Me Wednesday" is a concept that should be adopted more widely.

Damn. . that makes me sad. Papa was alot of fun to listen to, as was the rest of the gang. RIP(two years late)

I'm taking over an internet radio station and adding podcasts throughout the day to the programming lineup.

All new shows all day on DakotaSportsFM.com- 11:00 am: Sports Media Weekly (guest John Skipper from ESPN)- 12:10 pm: The Solid Verbal (College Football)- 1:00 pm: The Sports Gambling Podcast with Sean Green and Ryan Kramer- 2:30 pm: NFL Female- 3:50 pm: Football Sickness (Chicago Bears Preview)- 4:30 pm: Football Sickness (San Diego Chargers Preview)- 5:10 pm: Timberwolves Explosion with Joey Awaijane- 5:45 pm: Baseball Trash Talkin with Josh Johnson (guest Minneapolis Sports Writer Ben Noble)Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/dakotasportsfmFollow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DakotaSportsFM

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So the big news in DC sports radio is that the Junkies have found a replacement for Bob Erilich on doing their football picks for the week and that would be Toronto crack smoking mayor Rob Ford.   :wacko:   Apparently it doesn't take much to get this guy to talk sports on the radio.  Not sure how long it will last since he could be in jail at any minute but a pretty good get for publicity

I still can't believe the last 45 minutes or so.

Rob Ford clearly is a crazy person but the fact I just saw the Junkies (who I know and I am actually in the acknowledgments of JP's book... god that is such a dirty dirty humblebrag) on CNN Breaking News and the Today Show is insane.

So, Don Geronimo of the old "Don and Mike" morning zoo in the afternoon type thing from the 90s is back on The Fan in D.C. to do sort of Redskins related stuff.

I forgot how fun that guy is to listen to.  Like, even if you hate wacky DJs (and fuck do I hate them), Geronimo is like the most naturally gifted straight-up DJ ever.  Just free easy optimistic charm and energy and just enough self-consciousness about what is stupid about radio and a willingness to make fun of his own career, but all wrapped up in so much genuine love for the business.  The guy has been a DJ in one form or another since he was 15.  It's all he's ever wanted to do and he's still not sick of it.  He has the absolute best 70s-80s coked-out DJ stories I've ever heard.

Plus, he's got like a photographic memory of every dumb radio meme over the last 30 years.  The references he throws out are as esoteric in their way as the ones on MST3K and always hit home for anyone in their 40s or so.   He opened a segment on the podcast I listened to by chanting "We're here, we're queer, we're not going skiing!"  which was a chant that happened during some protests about an anti-gay-rights Colorado ordinance that were in the news in like 1992 or 93.  His brain is still just filled with all this utterly forgotten cultural noise, and it just randomly comes tumbling out of him.