DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact 4-10-14

On one level it's fair to say EY isn't "world" champion material. But really it doesn't matter who holds the belt in TNA... they are going to draw 500 people to all their house shows this weekend with Young on top, Magnus on top, Angle on top, or the reincarnated Jesus Christ on top. Normally I am all about the argument that it doesn't matter if you are "loyal" or a "hard worker" the guy on top should be the guy who can draw the best; but really with TNA it doesn't matter one bit anymore.

• Like 1

Agreed Doug, but really I don't think TNA can do anything at all right now to make their title mean anything. Even if starting today they begin to make it important, it will take a year or more of consistent strong booking to make the title appear to have any value. And we all know TNA is too ADHD to do something like that. 

Think about this. WWE this past week has made 4-5 guys who seem like they could hold the title in the next year. Reigns, Cesaro, Lesnar (although a former champ), Wyatt...  not to mention the old stand bys like Orton, Batista, Cena, etc. In TNA, there is literally not one guy I want to see win the title who hasn't had it before, and even the ones who have had it before (Joe, Angle, etc.) would be boring as champ. So at this point they really could just play hot potato with the belt and it won't matter. The people who still watch and enjoy TNA will watch and enjoy TNA the day they put the belt on Russo's kid (and believe me, it's coming). It doesn't matter anymore what they do. 

So eventually(next week in TNA terms usually) Abyss wins the title and Magnus expects him to lose it back

to him and Abyss turns face but during the match Joe comes out and turns heel and helps Magnus win it anyways?

Agreed Doug, but really I don't think TNA can do anything at all right now to make their title mean anything. Even if starting today they begin to make it important, it will take a year or more of consistent strong booking to make the title appear to have any value. And we all know TNA is too ADHD to do something like that. 

Think about this. WWE this past week has made 4-5 guys who seem like they could hold the title in the next year. Reigns, Cesaro, Lesnar (although a former champ), Wyatt...  not to mention the old stand bys like Orton, Batista, Cena, etc. In TNA, there is literally not one guy I want to see win the title who hasn't had it before, and even the ones who have had it before (Joe, Angle, etc.) would be boring as champ. So at this point they really could just play hot potato with the belt and it won't matter. The people who still watch and enjoy TNA will watch and enjoy TNA the day they put the belt on Russo's kid (and believe me, it's coming). It doesn't matter anymore what they do. 

I agree, but they still should try.

I think the EY thing devalued the title, but I don't think TNA's problem is having a weak title. They have nobody who you can buy as champion PERIOD right now.

I may actually watch this. I've always loved EY and thought that them doing an angle as him being one of the last "original" TNA guys and going for the belt would be great. Of course, them bumblefucking it all up in one show is typical TNA, but whatever. He has had such an incredible and odd TNA career. Good for him.

People rag on the Ace & Eights, but the belt meant a shit load more on Bully than it does now.

The whole thing is seriously fucktarded at this point; they've got the one guy who might draw something wearing a mask and calling himself Willow.

I like EY, but him taking the title from Magnus doesn't help him. The title would have been better back on Bully, Roode, or even on Kennedy before dropping it to EY. 

I know this isn't a cool thing to admit, but I've been a TNA fan almost since the get go probably because I try to not overthink wrestling (and entertainment in general) because to me that's not a healthy way to live. I can't tell you the last time I went online and expressed grief about wrestling either because that's just not my thing. With that being said I'll admit that their product hasn't been very good since about 2012. Even then not everything was great, but for me the good out weighted the bad. However, that hasn't been the case for the past year or so, but last night changed that for me. It was refreshing to see a title change in TNA that was clean and truly a surprise. The crowd reaction was really nice too, especially for the Impact Zone. I understand how EY might not be considered championship material, but I don't understand how this is being considered a WWE ripoff. That's a another argument I really don't want to get into. All I know is that I'm happy for EY, I think it's well deserved and I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

• Like 1

The WWE comparisons are brutally obvious.

Bryan = weird little man with beard yet respected by peers.  EY = weird little man with beard yet respected by peers.

Both teamed with a monster who has since gone on to become a corporate stooge.

Both needed to win a staggered entry battle royal to get title shot. (This is where TNA probably thinks they did it better)

Both won a match earlier in the evening before their title match.  Both won title at end of night.

TNA just shot Young up the card in 90 minutes instead of 9 months like WWE did with Bryan.

And that's not all by a long shot.  The aforementioned monsters equals Kane and Abyss.  AJ Styles was an attempt to redo the Punk leaving as champ angle.  Dixie turned heel out of nowhere to become their Stephanie McMahon analogue.  Magnus is their Orton.  Lei'D Tapa/Gail Kim as their Tamina Snuka/AJ Lee.  And I'm sure there's more but that's all I've got off the top of my head.

Shit, they should've brought Rob Terry back for the night to fill the Batista role.

Aces & Eights and Samuel Shaw are complete rip-offs too but at least they weren't/aren't cribbed directly from the industry standard.

I've never really been a pessimistic sort when it comes to TNA but if you've got 2014 in your TNA death pool then you might be in luck.  I'm sure there were more people in attendance at the Superdome this past weekend than ordered Lockdown on PPV last month and I have a hard time believing that Spike is going to bother to re-up them after their contract expires this year either.

• Like 3

I was going to say Storm, but then i checked and he won the belt for a week back in 2011.

People rag on the Ace & Eights, but the belt meant a shit load more on Bully than it does now.

Agreed, but I doubt he would've been any less effective as champion without all the extraneous biker gang crap.

He would have struggled to stay heel, as his primary schtick is too over with the crowds (such as they might be).