DVDVR Message Board

Good third movies

Swift

And I know there's at least one other poster on here who would agree with me that 'Death Wish 3' is, by far, the best in the series.  It's the installment of the series where the filmmakers clearly went "Let's dispense with the morality here and just have Charles Bronson kill many bad guys."

DEATH WISH 3 is the tits.  Speaking of re-enacting scenes...one would be a borderline psychopath to do that with anything from these movies...with the exception of The Giggler. 

IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO DID NOT RE-ENACT THE DEATH OF THE GIGGLER????

I can't believe I'm the first to come in with The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly...

Thank you. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the best film in the trilogy and I'm a big fan of all three.

Suprised I'm going to be the first to mention The Bourne Ultimatum. All three films in the trilogy are great, The Bourne Ultimatum is the one. I already know what Brian will say and he's wrong!

• Like 1

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

And damn it, I know Return of the Jedi gets trashed a lot of because of the Ewoks and whatever, but it has Jabba's palace, Leia in the gold bikini, the Emperor showing up in the flesh, Vader's redemption, and enough other things to make me love it. Clearly The Empire Strikes Back is the gold standard of the series, but I love Jedi a lot too.

I'd lay money that the sarlaac pit scene was the most action-figure reenacted scene from any of the movies.  Not just for coolness but for relative ease of execution.

A sarlaac pit could pretty much be anywhere.

Yep.  The playground at my elementary school had a section where the grass didn't grow well and the dirt was light colored and cracked and easily dug up.  It was perfect for making a sarlaac pit.  If I was at home playing in the house by myself, I would use a beanbag chair and smoosh the center of it down as far as I could into a bowl shape. Instant sarlaac pit with no digging.

If the standard is just "The third one has to be better than the second one" then (out of what I haven't seen mentioned)

Goldmember > Spy Who Shagged Me

Back to the Future III > Back to the Future II

HP: Prisoner of Azkaban > HP: Chamber of Secrets

Rocky 3 sure as hell ain't better than the first.

This is all depending on your definition of better.  I think the original Rocky is a great movie and if I was watching it as a movie critic I'd agree it is better than Rocky III...but if I'm sitting at home on a Saturday and Rocky is on one channel and Rocky III is on another, I'm watching Rocky III every single time.

• Like 2

My favorite threequels not already mentioned.

Harry Potter / Prisoner of Azkaban

Bourne Ultimatum

Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3)

Already mentioned The Bourne Ultimatum mate:

I can't believe I'm the first to come in with The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly...

Thank you. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the best film in the trilogy and I'm a big fan of all three.

Suprised I'm going to be the first to mention The Bourne Ultimatum. All three films in the trilogy are great, The Bourne Ultimatum is the one. I already know what Brian will say and he's wrong!

Great minds think alike!

Bwah, Bourne Ultimatum was indeed mentioned and yeah, Brian is wrong.

All of that action, ass kicking, plot resolution that provides actual catharsis, and even a little dramatic moment between Paz and Jason Bourne.

"Do you even know why you're supposed to kill me?  Look at us.  Look at what they make you give.." = Powerful fucking dialogue.

• Like 1

Back to the Future 3 is far and away better than Back to the Future 2. Shit, it comes within shooting distance of being as good as Back to the Future 1. I think there was a way to condense Back to the Future 2 into something that only lasted 30 minutes and then have Back to the Future 3 be the rest of what Back to the Future 2 was, and that would have been a really good sequel.

• Like 1

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

And damn it, I know Return of the Jedi gets trashed a lot of because of the Ewoks and whatever, but it has Jabba's palace, Leia in the gold bikini, the Emperor showing up in the flesh, Vader's redemption, and enough other things to make me love it. Clearly The Empire Strikes Back is the gold standard of the series, but I love Jedi a lot too.

I'd lay money that the sarlaac pit scene was the most action-figure reenacted scene from any of the movies.  Not just for coolness but for relative ease of execution.

A sarlaac pit could pretty much be anywhere.

Yep.  The playground at my elementary school had a section where the grass didn't grow well and the dirt was light colored and cracked and easily dug up.  It was perfect for making a sarlaac pit.  If I was at home playing in the house by myself, I would use a beanbag chair and smoosh the center of it down as far as I could into a bowl shape. Instant sarlaac pit with no digging.

A beanbag sarlaac is some serious shit to contend with if you're a tiny plastic man whose elbows don't bend.

DAY OF THE DEAD.

Also I've seen a lot of love here for THE EXORCIST III: LEGION.

Legion is basically like if David Lynch decided to make an Exorcist film. I can't say it's better or even equal to the first, but some of the visuals are so surreal and tremendous. Damn shame William Blatty got turned off by all the studio interference and politically and never directed again; the guy had significant talent as a filmmaker.

Jedi is my favorite since I was a kid when it came out and I remember being in awe of seeing Luke finally running shit as a full-fledged Jedi Knight.  As an adult I know I'm supposed to prefer Empire and Han, but those memories are imprinted on my subconscious, so I go Jedi and Luke.

Oddly enough, I was just talking to a friend who said that Bourne 3 was the only good one of the bunch.  I've only seen 1, and thought it was just so-so.