DVDVR Message Board

Good third movies

Swift

Instead of the usual 'sequels that are better than the first movie' thread, are there any examples of third movies that are equal or better than the previous two? Usually anything with 3 or III after the title is awful.

I realize this is a highly contentious opinion, but I rate Alien 3 higher than Aliens. I know that's blasphemy to most people.

Also, Goldfinger is probably better than Dr. No and From Russia With Love.

And Last Crusade is better than Temple of Doom.

GOLDFINGER is an astonishingly steep step down from FRWL. It's got a lot of fun stuff (Odd Job, Pussy Galore), but it's cartoonish and silly.

WITH A VENGEANCE might be my favourite of the bunch

I think Paranormal Activity 3 is probably the best in the series.

-Not hindered by an absurdly low budget like the first one

-Decent acting

-likable characters

-ending is quite creepy and does fill in a lot of the blanks.

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3: DREAM WARRIORS

Yeah.  I used to put the sequels down when I was a younger snobbier snoot.  But I don't think there's a bad one until part 6.

I really don't care for THE DREAM CHILD. The visuals are good, but the story and Freddy in particular in that one just aren't good.

Good call on DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE.

Day of the Dead 3

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Army of Darkness

Any of the movies in those trilogies could be considered the best one for many different reasons.

Friday the 13th Part III was the best one up to that point and one of the top fan favorites overall.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

And damn it, I know Return of the Jedi gets trashed a lot of because of the Ewoks and whatever, but it has Jabba's palace, Leia in the gold bikini, the Emperor showing up in the flesh, Vader's redemption, and enough other things to make me love it. Clearly The Empire Strikes Back is the gold standard of the series, but I love Jedi a lot too.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

And damn it, I know Return of the Jedi gets trashed a lot of because of the Ewoks and whatever, but it has Jabba's palace, Leia in the gold bikini, the Emperor showing up in the flesh, Vader's redemption, and enough other things to make me love it. Clearly The Empire Strikes Back is the gold standard of the series, but I love Jedi a lot too.

I'd lay money that the sarlaac pit scene was the most action-figure reenacted scene from any of the movies.  Not just for coolness but for relative ease of execution.

A sarlaac pit could pretty much be anywhere.

I'd lay money that the sarlaac pit scene was the most action-figure reenacted scene from any of the movies.

You mean it wasn't Prince Leia kissing Luke? That was just me?

HA!  I have memories of doing that one both in action figure form and in real life...like with me and an imaginary chick.

But sarlaac was such an easy default when you had a mixed batch of action figure guys and not a lot of scenery...like all you need is a hole in the ground or a sandbox or the edge of a couch or a sink. 

They didn't even have to be all Star Wars guys.  Whoever was in your bag that day ends up in the pit.

Basically, Sarlaac pit was the action-figure equivalent of a 30 man tag match at Wrestlemania.  And if you had him, Boba Fett was always Cesaro.

• Like 1

I'm in the minority here, but I thought 'The Hangover 3' was way better than #2 and not far off the original, maybe just as good as it.

Also in the minority here, but I thought 'The Dark Knight Rises' was head-and-shoulders above the rest of the series.

Make it three minorities in a row, because I also thought 'Scary Movie 3' was the best of the bunch, but that would owe largely to my favouring the David Zucker goofy gag-style over the Wayans gross-out stuff every day of the week.

And I know there's at least one other poster on here who would agree with me that 'Death Wish 3' is, by far, the best in the series.  It's the installment of the series where the filmmakers clearly went "Let's dispense with the morality here and just have Charles Bronson kill many bad guys."

I thought it was the Han in Carbonite thing. "Carbonite" being your vintage Star Wars collectible now worth $30 being dropped in a cup of water and frozen overnight.

I never thought to do that...that is brilliant.  I usually just stuck him in a Q-Tip box...